CBaird
CBaird New Reader
3/30/22 2:14 a.m.

Well done sir but as far as I'm concerned this thread is not quite done. I still want to see a few passes and an in-car freeway pull with that V12 screaming!  Then and only then can you put a pin in it. Here's to 9000 rpm and beyond!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/30/22 10:40 a.m.

ugh, this car with a nice detail and some rolling shots... hnggggg.

Nader
Nader New Reader
3/30/22 5:43 p.m.

Early on, wasn't there a projection of >900 HP? Any plans for a dyno session to dial it in?

mke
mke Dork
3/30/22 5:52 p.m.

In reply to ish_da :

Well, here's 9k on the last blip, then it ran out of gas so the fun ended.  Its fixed so its just turning now....really boring.  As I said, when there is something post worthy I'll pass it on.

mke
mke Dork
3/30/22 7:14 p.m.

And this.  You see it?

NOTHING on the floor.

NY Nick
NY Nick HalfDork
3/30/22 7:38 p.m.

That sounds awesome!

johndej
johndej Dork
3/30/22 8:12 p.m.

Hell yeah! I'm so happy you got this thing wrapped up and hope you enjoy driving it as much as I've enjoyed the build!

CBaird
CBaird New Reader
3/30/22 8:51 p.m.

In reply to mke : I bet that smells like sweet, sweet victory.

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza Reader
3/30/22 9:00 p.m.

Amazing.  However, I for one will only be satisfied when I see an in-dash cam of it blitzing 2022 Ferraris and Porsches around a track at 9k rpm.

Although, I'd settle for you taking Lana on Sunday afternoon cruise and mashing the throttle at an unsuspecting moment, and posting a vid of said moment.  She has been quite a saint for the last, oh, 15ish years.  

mke
mke Dork
3/31/22 8:35 a.m.
Nader said:

Early on, wasn't there a projection of >900 HP? Any plans for a dyno session to dial it in?

Yes, dyno day once the tune is roughed in a bit and I trust it enough to drive to the dyno or I get my dyno up and running, which ever comes first.

The Dynomation5 software was consistently telling me 900+, which just I liked to here but just seemed to high with the headers designed for street/autocross use and cams timed to match.  When DM6 came out I "lost" 80hp....it says 840 which honestly seems more realistic.

Were I to build new headers, adjust the stack lengths and probably roll the cams a little to retune for 10-10.5k, 900 is probably doable but this is a street car and I'm tired of working on it so whatever the current setup delivers will have to do.  I can live with 800hp....or add nitrous and I set the pistons and rings up to easily deal with a 250hp shotcheeky

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/31/22 9:41 a.m.

wow, that video is telling.  It wants to rev so quickly and oh the sweet sweet V12 siren scream...  This is awesome. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/31/22 6:10 p.m.

In reply to mke :

I've forgotten just how compact  the 308 was. And with that big motor in back you really do have a very special Ferrari.  
  Well done!! 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/31/22 6:12 p.m.
mke said:

And this.  You see it?

NOTHING on the floor.

Now you're just showing off.  ;-)  It's a very rare Jaguar that can park without marking its territory. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
8/1/22 9:43 p.m.

What's up with the FrankenFerrari?

Rigante
Rigante Reader
8/2/22 7:29 a.m.

V12 308 engine build part 4

Looks like basement build , mulching etc are still getting in the way of progress

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/2/22 8:25 a.m.
mke said:

Were I to build new headers, adjust the stack lengths and probably roll the cams a little to retune for 10-10.5k, 900 is probably doable but this is a street car and I'm tired of working on it so whatever the current setup delivers will have to do.  I can live with 800hp....or add nitrous and I set the pistons and rings up to easily deal with a 250hp shotcheeky

I love how that is a thing that was just casually said.  

mke
mke Dork
11/26/22 11:56 a.m.

After 3 or 4 tries the head gaskets are still leaking but I've move to the "its not that bad and I just don't care" mode

I got it idling nice this morning with no more overheating.. it sat there for 45 minutes, fan on/off 3 or 4 times and never hit 80C.  Good enough

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/26/22 12:36 p.m.

Forgive me if this was mentioned earlier.....

I'm assuming, since you have all independent MAP sensors, you're running Speed Density.

How are you finding the resolution between cruise and wide open throttle?

I have a super smooth MAP signal on my ITB setup, but my cruise is 1.0-5.0kPa less than ambient air pressure.  If I datalogged a lot of power runs, cruise wanted to be way rich. If I datalogged a lot of nice cruise runs, WOT wanted to be way lean.

I appreciate the  updates on this wicked project, thanks!

mke
mke Dork
11/26/22 1:58 p.m.

Just over the last couple days I've decide to rely on the silica based head gasket sealants, got it mostly sealed and started tuning, starting with getting it to start and idle which I posted so haven't been out for a drive this go around. 

That said I did run it around the block the last go and lots of logs in the driveway.  This is the throttle action from the video I posted.  Idle MAP is 45kPA, I have the timing at 6 degrees at 10 degrees timing idle MAP is closer to 40kPa, red on the graph.  The high points on the black rpm line are about 1800rpm and the MAP is 55kPA to hold that rpm.  This setup acts like any normal intake manifold so I'd expect cruise to be around 80kPA or so but I'll post a log for you when I get to that point.

mke
mke Dork
11/27/22 9:17 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry I missed your actual question, yes I'm running speed-density. 

I'll get the cruise readings for you when I have them...raining today and I don't have it insured anyway but maybe next weekend.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
11/27/22 2:24 p.m.

Someday when you do feel like cracking it, perhaps wire o-rings would do the trick?  The heads would have to be grooved though.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
11/27/22 2:53 p.m.

Thanks for updating us. This the wildest build I have ever seen. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
11/27/22 5:29 p.m.

Glad to see this thread being updated! 

mke
mke Dork
11/27/22 6:57 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

30mph on a slight upgrade is about 20% on the TPS and 65kPA in 2nd gear at about 2k rpm. 

Honestly I'm not sure 60mph would be a lot different as it would be about 2k in 5th gear, something like that,  and this thing clearly was an excess of available torque and pulling timing out is the only I can get the rpms to drop below 2k-ish and idle to 2 I'm feeding it timing more than throttle so your results may vary.  I stabbed the throttle a couple times and never saw over 80kPA but the stabs didn't cross 50% TPS

...and cyl 12 is broke.  The engine sounds fine but it has 0 compression so that was making the MAP a little higher than it will be.  I'll probably play with the tuning just a bit more before I pull things apart and get the cold start and warmup a bit better so I know next time it should just come to life happy.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
11/28/22 4:55 a.m.

Welcome back Mark. Nice to see this thing functioning at 11/12s. Awesome build.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8ZOsHQlozg7PhzMyq9kJXrdPLn7ieCtnHjgebLjEPz2kQI7Okhtz2TM719XytdWU