5 6 7
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter)
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/18/20 8:40 p.m.

I've been working on the car but have not been updating the build log.  First finished the rear suspension and got everything finished welded. Still need to work on the rocker ratio's as the shock is over center at full compression.

Ride Height

Full Extension

We needed to set up a height for the rear fender. The plan is to make a flat spot across the top of the fender and then make a fiberglass cap to final shape. The 1x1 metal bar is the top of that flat and will also be used to connect the tops of the fenders together and locate the radiator.

4/18/20 8:45 p.m.

Next up is solving some issues at the front end. With the front wheel base shortened and the C5 wheels there is not enough room for the tire to go through suspension travel and or turn.

Obvious solution is some more metal surgery. We are planning on running the car open wheel at the front and tapering the body in from the firewall. The exact shape will not be determined until we can set the car on tires and roll it out to start sculpting the body lines and make it look right.

So off with the corner.

4/19/20 4:23 p.m.

New purchase,$100 nitrous kit, might make it on car.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
4/19/20 6:27 p.m.

That's a dang good deal for $100

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/21/20 10:45 a.m.

I was thinking about you guys and the build this morning, so I'm bumping it to see how you all are doing?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
5/30/20 9:36 p.m.

We got to see this in person today.  I'm loving how it's going.  Was also cool to look at it more exposed than I was used to.  It'll be great to see how it runs at the Challenge.

5/31/20 3:18 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

I was thinking about you guys and the build this morning, so I'm bumping it to see how you all are doing?

Nice to know we are thought about, lol. Kurt and I have both been very busy so not much has happened. I started a new job and with the Covid19 issue I have been the only on ein the department that is still working, so I have been busy. Kurt has been working 7 days a week in his business so does not leave much time for car stuff.

We did pull the motor out of the car and started tearing it down yesterday, so far the inside looks good, but we got stalled at taking the oil pump off as I needed some 6mm fine thread blots that I did not have in my puller set. There was about 3 pounds of acorn shells and leaves under the intake so that should lighten the car up a bit. 

For those that don't remember, we are tearing the engine down for head gaskets. This is a bit more complicated than the OHV engines I have worked on in the past and the first one I have taken apart with a timing chain so taking lots of pictures and labeling as we go. I hope to get it finished torn down this week and off to the machine shop.

6/13/20 12:16 p.m.

OK for those that were waiting here is the engine tear down pictures. I am thinking because of the way the head gaskets are made the sealing area disintegrates when taking it apart so makes it very difficult to see a failure area. We had combustion gases in the coolant but no coolant in the oil so the leak could not have been too bad. The machinist I am taking my heads to just had surgery and will be out for the next two weeks, so as usual my timing was perfect.

Any advice on removing the dowel pins in the block? I would like to deck the block with a plate and some sand paper and I think removing the pins is necessary. 

Pics

Doesn't the just scream out for a set of ITB's

Bores overall look good, no ridge on cylinder and some crosshatching still visible. Overall condition looks good, just needs a good cleaning.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
5/6/22 12:34 p.m.

Stampie prompted me to think about this build again today.

Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/6/22 2:40 p.m.

Guys, Kurt and I have made the descion it is time to move this build on to the next person. We ar just too busy with theing to continue and I dont like seeing it sit in the shop.

So it started as a free car, but not sure how to sell this as we have put some money in the car and I want to be faie from a challange budget stand point. My thought is I would sell it for whatever I have inthe budget for the parts some one takes.  I think I have about $200 in steel welded in, and the front corvette crossmember was $200. I have other parts I bought and would seel any at same prices I paid, shocks, corvette wheels, head gaskets and bolts for motor. May be some other things.

If anyone is interested let me know and we can talk. If my pricing stategy is off I will listen to reason, really would like to see this finished.

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qs3AZ0mZXYw7ng2Eu1SDhvoFrKOnvuUAyFlsDaSJMhThVwzF78C6BiI8wIQr8MNv