1 2 3
Mrfurzzy
Mrfurzzy New Reader
11/2/22 6:29 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

It's crazy what people will just get rid of. I picked up a cub cadet garden tractor for $20 because it blew a fuse and they wanted it gone. Fixed it and cleaned it up a bit and sold it for $450 a week later.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/2/22 6:41 p.m.
B13Birk said:

My plan continues to play out. I was able to sit down and crunch potential numbers and I think the path is clear. Im headed out of town on an offroad trip for 9 days but when I get back ill be starting on the car. BUT. I found a DIY autotune ms3 setup for $200. 

This is a great first step and helped me achieve a goal. Megasquirt for $250 or less. That helps the budget. 

The plan is to zero out the budget on the car. I should be able to do that. From there the budget breakdown is simple. 

Roughly $1000 for performance, $500 for Handling and Stopping, and $500 to make the car competitive in the concourse. 

So that's the plan. Cant wait to dig into this thing

Read the rules for concourse.  It's a zero budget item if you build the car well.  Your story will give you more points.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/2/22 9:06 p.m.

Gut the hood to just a skin and pin it on. Almost $0 budget hit, pins are cheap

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
11/12/22 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

This is super helpful. I guess I thought I needed to do more there. I still plan to make the car look A+ but it sounds like I can do it for less $$

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
11/12/22 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Doing a hood skin is exactly what I'm going to do. Great idea. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/12/22 7:38 p.m.

I have hood pins I've been saying I'd list for sale cheap. They're chrome NOS Spectra keyed pins, two pair for $20.00 including shipping using USPS Priority small flat rate box. They're fancier than the typical hairpin style hood pins. So there's no dispute as far as challenge budget goes, I also have two more pair I'll sell to anyone else (B13Birk gets the 1st set if he wants them) for the same deal. If you're interested send me a PM with your regular email address and I'll send you an invoice you can pay securely from.

[URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ff292/NOTATA/20221112_191651.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds][/URL]

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
11/18/22 2:17 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Thank you for this offer and Ill take you up on that. Shoot me an email at ( birkmire . jon 91 51 @gmail.com )without the spaces. And I can do Paypal. 

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
11/18/22 2:54 p.m.

Update

Do you ever have one of those moments where you literally can't believe your eyes? Well, I had that moment earlier this week. I was doing my usual FB Market Place search and scroll and saw a silver Miata similar to one of the ones we have to flip at the moment. Then I realized it wasn't a sale post for the car but instead some wheels listed for $60. If you know anything about FB Marketplace you know that people often put random numbers in the listing price and the real price in the description. Well sure enough they were $60 there too. The guy who had them just wanted them gone. 

They aren't exactly the look/vibe I like at all on a car like this. BUT they will be perfect for the budget. 

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
11/18/22 9:45 p.m.

GRM Challenge Funding Budget Update: 

Last check-in was $829. I fixed and Sold: 

Blower: $150

WeedEater 1: $125

WeedEater 2: $125

Brings our total to: $1279

It's so cool to see this idea come to fruition and get closer to funding the project with zero dollars out of my own pocket. 

As always, thanks for following along! 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/19/22 10:52 a.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

Invoice sent through Paypal.

If someone wants the other two pair send me a PM or email laboratoryfourteen@gmail.com. $20.00 for the two pair includes USPS Priority small flat rate box shipping.

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
11/19/22 4:55 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Amazing thank you! Invoice paid. This is a great help to the project. 

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
11/20/22 7:22 p.m.

I have done a ton of research on the engine setup and suspension setup over the past few days. I feel like I have a clear plan to make roughly 275HP and 315 tq.  We plan to find a cheap set of 240sx coil overs and get some proper springs on there. There is a brake upgrade you can do using mix-matched parts from a Toyota truck. So we will do that too. Should be a decent little car. Once I get past Christmas I will really start shopping for the parts I need. In the meantime ill be keeping an eye on the marketplace for those crazy good deals. 

Over Christmas break (I get a good bit of time off) I plan to strip the car and pull the tranny and other parts I can sell to zero out the car purchase. 

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
1/30/23 12:05 p.m.

This car is now for sale. 

Here is the link if you are interested. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/fl-1979-datsun-280zx-no-title-500/237939/page1/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j5e9I4GJKhSj0mjb1CTM8YjNCL8csmllBg72hqO0jlnZz0Gr8iYQjuxlc3FuaYwm