Petrolburner
Petrolburner New Reader
4/16/14 11:02 a.m.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/17/14 12:16 a.m.
voorhen wrote: Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will undo the exhaust wrap. doesn't look good. BUT I HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS!!! I got it FIRED UP today!! Turbos will be on tomorrow or sunday! http://s828.photobucket.com/user/voorhen/media/headers_zpsc52bd2d3.mp4.html

My God, it revs VERY quickly!!! Lightweight flywheel on there???

Headers are beautiful, but I'm still curious of how the final taillight situation will turn out

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/17/14 9:03 a.m.

Keep it going!

voorhen
voorhen New Reader
4/22/14 12:05 a.m.

some new stuff!! Sorry for the gap. I've been working on it but slowly. [URL=http://s828.photobucket.com/user/voorhen/media/truck/7CD097D2-82B8-4838-B292-A2E5460CBC52_zpsdqgdsw9w.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s828.photobucket.com/user/voorhen/media/truck/D94C5BE7-CE76-4A62-A0C6-5BD89FEB41BA_zpsrl6vjzzg.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s828.photobucket.com/user/voorhen/media/truck/0F0D1C3A-51BD-4A53-9433-4DB9A159AF49_zpsifxl65yz.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s828.photobucket.com/user/voorhen/media/truck/DF662933-B223-4563-AD8C-E335E2D38DEC_zps1a8alfxp.jpg.html][/URL]

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
4/22/14 12:17 a.m.
voorhen wrote: some new stuff!!

So wrong, but oh so right!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/22/14 12:33 a.m.

WOW.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/22/14 4:48 a.m.

There is NOTHING wrong with that!

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/22/14 5:37 a.m.

simply amazing...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/22/14 7:12 a.m.

I don't care how much this costs, I think GRM should give it an honorary entry to the challenge and a onetime pass on build costs. At the very least an article in the magazine or we all cancel our subscriptions in protest!

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
4/22/14 8:02 a.m.

Impressive!

What's the life expectancy of the transmission again?

golfduke
golfduke Reader
4/22/14 8:28 a.m.

My god. AS a lover of fubaru, this is just otherworldly. You have a knack for really nice work, my friend. Kudos to you.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
4/22/14 9:19 a.m.

Keep it up!!! :D

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
4/22/14 11:27 a.m.

So when this thing is done, do I get to drive it once?!

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
4/22/14 12:37 p.m.

voorhen
voorhen New Reader
4/24/14 1:48 p.m.

Gamby the engine is all stock still except intake and exhaust. Pres589 Probably 2.5 seconds lol! and Crankwalk if I'm ever in Georgia heck ya!

Im worried about heat soak from the headers but I can't think of any other good way to run the intercooler... any ideas? The best I can think of is to run two Water to air intercoolers on both sides down behind the rear tires. don't really have the money for that though. Kind of scared to button everything up until I get the adapter plate in and make sure everything fits; and see where it fits too.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
4/24/14 2:20 p.m.

Wow. I have not been following this build for quite some time. I now see what I have been missing. Good work can't wait to see more progress.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
4/24/14 2:22 p.m.
voorhen wrote: Gamby the engine is all stock still except intake and exhaust. Pres589 Probably 2.5 seconds lol! and Crankwalk if I'm ever in Georgia heck ya! Im worried about heat soak from the headers but I can't think of any other good way to run the intercooler... any ideas? The best I can think of is to run two Water to air intercoolers on both sides down behind the rear tires. don't really have the money for that though. Kind of scared to button everything up until I get the adapter plate in and make sure everything fits; and see where it fits too.

Sell the cooler and then buy a new, smaller cooler and mount it in the nose. You won't need as large a cooler (since the tubes will cool the air a bit in the trip to/from the nose) and with the LSx it isn't as though you'll be lacking in torque compared to the stock Ferrari V8 (which could drive the car from a dead stop in 2nd without issue since it is such a light car).

bluej
bluej SuperDork
4/24/14 4:04 p.m.

What's the distance from the TB to the exhaust collector/crossover?

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/28/14 1:03 a.m.
voorhen wrote: Im worried about heat soak from the headers but I can't think of any other good way to run the intercooler... any ideas?

I'd think more simply first: fab up an insulated heat shield between the turbo piping and the intercooler and then fab up a couple of scoops in the decklid for the intercooler. That might do the trick, although I dunno how hesitant you are to cut up a Ferrari decklid.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
4/28/14 6:45 a.m.

RE: Intercooler heat soak. Would an electric radiator fan mounted under the IC draw enough air to keep the whole thing cool enough to avoid heat soaking? That and some strategic heat shields might do the trick.

Also, not suggesting that you need to reinvent the wheel, but if it does have heat soak problems, a liquid to air IC might be better here.

pricebill
pricebill New Reader
6/13/14 11:28 p.m.

I cannot tell you how many times I have checked this thread for an update. It's borderline forum stalking at this point. I wake up and think "Did he build the engine mounts yet? Has this car moved under it's own power? Did the transmission actually work?"

Then I come back to the same pics of the intercooler picnic table built in what is left of the trunk. LOVE this thread, just hoping for an update.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
6/14/14 10:08 a.m.

Heat shields on the sides/bottom of the intercooler to minimize radiant and mount your fan and scoops/NACA/whatever so that air moves across the coil from top to bottom -- moving air across the headers towards the bottom of the car.

matumorales
matumorales None
6/19/14 4:50 p.m.

Congratulations on the progress!

I'm involved on a somewhat similar Project, a 1981 308 GTBi, and would love to get in touch with you, voorhen, to discuss some of the things you've done; however, it seems like I can't send private messages... I ignore if that's because I'm a newbie on this forum or if this is a permanent issue. Can somebody help me with this?

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
6/19/14 6:16 p.m.

PM's are done via email through clicking on their user name and selecting "Contact"

matumorales
matumorales New Reader
6/20/14 9:23 a.m.
turboswede wrote: PM's are done via email through clicking on their user name and selecting "Contact"

No luck, turboswede! I get the following message: "You must be approved by an Admin to send private messages"

Does anybody here know an "Admin"?

Best,

Dan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lsunsahc35FcAwwKi6zOiJ69RTxjWXmvjQyll4WYoDvDCiSlF2vepoFBEkGf8vFt