1 2 3
MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/2/18 3:24 p.m.

Going to use this thread to provide updates/document my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6. So far all its gotten is an oil change & a turbosmart dual port BPV due to a leak from the factory part. Going to start collecting parts for some updates/upgrades, including slightly bigger turbo, intake, fuel pump, tune, and aftermarket sway bars. I can email someone pictures if they want to post them or attempt to load them myself lol.  The suspension is going to stay fairly stock due to SWMBO's wishes.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/2/18 3:27 p.m.

MFace is this the AWD version?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/2/18 3:29 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Mazdaspeed 6=awd. Mazdaspeed 3=fwd. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/2/18 3:31 p.m.

Yes AWD with the 6 speed manual.  Absolutely love this car. Just hoping to address some things that frustrate me. First thing is going to be the leaking oil cooler hose

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/2/18 3:41 p.m.

Always loved these , but they seemed to have  been shunned by the masses. Kinda makes me think of a progression of the VR4...

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
1/2/18 3:43 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Every one of them I see for sale up here have "engine issues" with less than 200K kms (120K miles) on the clock. Used engines go for $3K plus from the auto recyclers.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/2/18 3:52 p.m.

basically if it hasn't had the vvt setup done by then its probably not long for this world is what i've read/been told. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/2/18 4:01 p.m.

The vvt can be problematic, but it's not the big issue. The big issue is the kids themselves. They get em, crank it to 20, and blow it. The problem lies in the design of the turbo and the subsequent inadequate fuel system. I've seen it personally. The factory hpfp/cdfp is known to be a gigantic pile of E36 M3. If you do not start with the fuel system in these cars, specifically those pump internals, they will go lean, or even fail,  starve the #4 cylinder and boom goes the dynamite. And with the turbo being as smallas it is,  combined with a very high stock compression ratio, these things spool instantly. It's not uncommon to have 16psi at 2800 rpm (mine actually made full boost at 2400, but that's because I have some sneaky business going on). With that kind of spool, they just don't keep up. They'realso known to sneeze turbo seals, which in the hands of an idiot, can look a lot like a cooked head gasket. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/2/18 4:07 p.m.
Mndsm said:

The vvt can be problematic, but it's not the big issue. The big issue is the kids themselves. They get em, crank it to 20, and blow it. The problem lies in the design of the turbo and the subsequent inadequate fuel system. I've seen it personally. The factory hpfp/cdfp is known to be a gigantic pile of E36 M3. If you do not start with the fuel system in these cars, specifically those pump internals, they will go lean, or even fail,  starve the #4 cylinder and boom goes the dynamite. And with the turbo being as smallas it is,  combined with a very high stock compression ratio, these things spool instantly. It's not uncommon to have 16psi at 2800 rpm (mine actually made full boost at 2400, but that's because I have some sneaky business going on). With that kind of spool, they just don't keep up. They'realso known to sneeze turbo seals, which in the hands of an idiot, can look a lot like a cooked head gasket. 

Well said. I'll be going with corksport's fuel pump internals before anything else happens

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/2/18 4:12 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Good choice. I have a  set of Autotechs in my MS3 as CS hadn't released the final part when I did them. I really like their drop in baby turbo too.

I really want an MS6 but I don't have time for another project at the moment. I suspect by the time I get around to buying one they'll all be trashed or prices will be obscene. Look at the injector seals as well since they're typically good until they aren't.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/2/18 4:17 p.m.

I sort of lucked into a good one for a decent price. The corksport drop in turbo is the one I'll be going with when the time comes

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/2/18 4:33 p.m.
Mndsm said:

All this being said is there hope Doctor?!!!???

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/2/18 5:11 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Ye gods, yes. Aside from the persnickety bits mentioned, there's piles of hope. I'm speaking from ms3 experience so ymmv and all of that but-

These things looooove big turbos. The slower spool gives the fuel system time to come up to speed, and when it does, you're going straight to plaid. Stock injectors have been known to go to 700hp, as have stock internals. And at least in the ms3 case, stock clutch! It's sort of ridiculous. My car was....a little modified when it last hit the dyno. Mid pipe, intake, throttle inlet pipe, port matched intake manifold/vcts delete. I don't have the numbers handy, but if you go to www.maperformance.com and look at the rev3 intake manifold, those numbers were quite literally done on my car. I own the original intake manifold in this project. All said and told from stock, (shock fuel, stock intercooler, stock hpfp, stock down/catback, stock turbo, stock tune) I picked up 30whp and 40ish? Wtq.  Here's the kicker. Due to the increased efficiency, I actually LOST 3psi at full boost, down to 13psi from 16 psi. The factory ecu looks for afr or some other thing (I never looked into it) and pulled boost when it hit the number It was looking for. I did have a accessport for it, but it was stolen (my ex wife left the car open and....It's a long story. I'm 85% I know who took it.  )so it never caught a tune. And I picked up 400rpm to peak spool, to 2400 from 2800. So it spooled fastfaster, but peak sooner,  made more power, and it did it on less boost. 

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/2/18 5:55 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It also does not help that brand new a sport model was in excess of $25-26k in 06, Love these and wish I had the proper $$$ to get one and put time in to it, OP Pic's would be nice! laugh

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/3/18 9:04 a.m.

As soon as I can get some loaded onto photobucket (or something equivalent), I'll be posting some up. It needs washed but its just to berkeleying cold outside right now to do that. Or anything else outside for that matter

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
1/3/18 10:12 a.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Use imgur or something like that. Photobucket does not allow 3rd party use unless you pay them big bucks.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/3/18 10:26 a.m.

Ok I'll switch to Imgur

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/3/18 11:10 a.m.

I would avoid corksport but maybe their speed3/6 parts are better quality than their RX7 stuff.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/3/18 12:50 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

They've come a long way in the last few years. I started out with that attitude too but I've got an engine bay full of their parts and really no problems. They even sent me an upgrade of the 3.5 bar Map sensor out of the blue after they decided the response of the original wasn't fast enough.

After that rather serious snafu with the aluminum lug nuts Corksport seem to have become a lot more careful. The problem is that the other major hard parts vendors: CP-e and JBR, Intake manifold and sway bars respectively, have a reputation too but in general they've all made things right after the problems came to light.

I'm having a RX-3 vs building a 500HP MS3 debate right now looking at the CS catalog of parts (manifold, big turbo, 72mm throttle body, etc). Whenever I get some motivation again.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/4/18 8:01 a.m.

Yea a lot of the older reviews I found had me questioning the quality (I'm used to ECS stuff for the e46, which has always been top notch) but the newer reviews all seem fairly positive.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/4/18 10:24 a.m.

Would love to find one of the Corksport FMIC kits when the time comes that used the top mount location for the intake (to use the ram air setup in the hood) but those are apparently discontinued and no one sells them in decent shape :(

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/4/18 11:00 a.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Email CS to see if they have one laying around. They put a few together with some left over parts a bit back. 

Other option is get a TR6 or TR8 core, the JBR clocking kit, and roll your own piping and brackets.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/4/18 12:11 p.m.

Hmm not a bad idea at all

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/4/18 9:02 p.m.

So.....with the right combo this rascal could comfortably sport 450hp with minimal drama???

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/4/18 10:22 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yeah, pretty much. As long as you keep it fueled, you're pretty well set, at least in the ms3. The ms6 needs a bit more care and feeding, what with the whole having more differentials and all. The Volvo driveline was never really meant to hold that kinda juice, but it's been done. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PU0jHAId6MQRjPqQGARnYoMu6uPP0e7iE0cUNcKZmTNKnfos49xwj6vnUqSCndDM