Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/1/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

Very much yes!

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/1/21 7:29 p.m.

It has been more than 20 years since i've bought pictures of myself on track, but I couldn't resist.  I knew Tony Politi (polotipixs.com) as a kid running around the paddock.  Now he takes some mean pics.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/1/21 7:30 p.m.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/1/21 7:32 p.m.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/1/21 7:35 p.m.

I did get some in-car, but i had the camera mounted too low for it to be very interesting.  Regardless, I will chop it and get it on youtube and put a link here.  There is one lap that you see well enough to get a sense of the closing speed on other cars.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/1/21 7:53 p.m.
jh36 said:

The lighting on the one is beautiful.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/1/21 8:40 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

The man has a great eye and the weather was great for photography, if not for stability!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/2/21 8:36 a.m.

What size tires are you running?  The set on my CP car (which have 7 runs total on them) are coming off this spring.  They aren't great, but if they work for you, you can just having them.  It looks like you're running a square setup (I have a 28x14.5 rear, 25.5x14 front R70A) so I'm not sure it will work, but let me know.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/2/21 9:11 a.m.
Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:

What size tires are you running?  The set on my CP car (which have 7 runs total on them) are coming off this spring.  They aren't great, but if they work for you, you can just having them.  It looks like you're running a square setup (I have a 28x14.5 rear, 25.5x14 front R70A) so I'm not sure it will work, but let me know.

Paul are you on 15s or 16s?

Trying to decide what we want to run on this thing eventually, which will partially be decided by what good used stuff is readily available. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
11/2/21 10:06 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

16s.  Plenty of support for road racing, GT1 stuff, and it let me run a 13" rotor up front.

https://www.rsracing.com/rrslickradial.aspx

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/2/21 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

That is nice of you...I am running square, but they are 27.0x 11.5/15.  That would require more investment, so I plan to stick with my wheel/tire setup, more or less.  Thank you though.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
11/2/21 11:09 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Paul are you on 15s or 16s?

Trying to decide what we want to run on this thing eventually, which will partially be decided by what good used stuff is readily available. 

I can tell you not to run 17" wheels if you want to use takeoff tires.  Within day's of my buying two sets of 17" wheels for my Camaro the entire supply of used 17" tires dried up.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/2/21 12:07 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Aq3hKA2J0

Not a good camera angle, but you can see a little of what's going on and some sense of closing rates and speeds on track.  This was still VERY MUCH a test/shakedown so there's a lot of room to grow.

JG Pasterjak
11/2/21 1:22 p.m.

16s.  Plenty of support for road racing, GT1 stuff, and it let me run a 13" rotor up front.

Yeah the debate is between 16s, 15s and 18s I think. 16s have good tire availability from the GT1 crowd, but it looks like I'd need to go to wide fives to get proper wheels. Not complaining, beause wide fives are dope AF, but it does add another loyer of complexity. 15s give you way better wheel availability (15 x 12s are like $100 each), but you don;t get the super gumball tires. Basically you're limited to TA2 rubber, as well as limited brake size. 18s give you lots of options for everything, but at a co$t. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/2/21 1:24 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Yeah the debate is between 16s, 15s and 18s I think. 16s have good tire availability from the GT1 crowd, but it looks like I'd need to go to wide fives to get proper wheels. Not complaining, beause wide fives are dope AF, but it does add another loyer of complexity. 15s give you way better wheel availability (15 x 12s are like $100 each), but you don;t get the super gumball tires. Basically you're limited to TA2 rubber, as well as limited brake size. 18s give you lots of options for everything, but at a co$t. 

That sounds like a GRM article in and of itself...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
11/2/21 1:36 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I'd build with a "five on five" hub.  You can get 16s in a five on five, or use an adapter to to adapt to a wide 5, so slicks are covered.  You can then also run 18s in the hottest street tire for those types of events.

Also, if you get into a cambered rear axle housing, you can get more camber with the five on five cambered hubs.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/2/21 6:02 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/2/21 6:08 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

With that much torque & so little shifting it almost looks like you're taking it for a cruise around the neighborhood - if it wasn't for the helmet, fire suit & gloves!

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/2/21 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I am really not optimizing the car in this video...that's for sure!  Ultimately, I will be using all four gears at SP and VIR I think.  The final drive in the quick change was set up last for Daytona, which is not exactly right for the little 2.0 mile Summit Point!  But even with improper gearing, it hustled down the straights pretty well!  I'm about 6 seconds a lap from happy, but I think the car has that to spare in her!

JG Pasterjak
11/2/21 9:38 p.m.

It's pretty interesting watching those laps. It's pretty obvious that the tires are good and used up because there's just a general lack of grip, but the huge sidewalls look like they make for very easy exploitation of ALL of the slip angle. Like, the window between "beginning to slip" and "fully broken away" is a huge picture window as wide as the entire living room. 

Jack mentioned a 1:25.xx at Summit. Danny Kao ran a 1:22 in his Supra and Sam Strano ran a 1:19 in his C7, both of them driving at 10/10th on fresh 200/240tw rubber. So I'm thinking a lazy 1:25 on crap tires and not even using 80% of the motor or gearing and a car fairly fresh out of the box is really, really solid. On fresh tires and proper gearing that's probably 1:18s or 1:19s as it sits, with another second or two in the tank with more sorting. And I bet you still haven't hit 50% of C7 GS or Supra money.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/3/21 5:05 a.m.

You are right...the tires are pretty well baked. They aren't scary because the car is predictable...when it started to go, a quick correction reeled it in. 
I think the times you quote are reasonable. I look forward to VIR in an actual running car. I think this will be a competitive ST1 car. 
Now...here's where it gets pretty weird. Money. 
I am into this for a net of $22,000 right now. One running car, one chassis and parts, a bunch of wheels. I sold the late model body and some purely late model bits. If "someone" buys my other chassis, that net goes down.  I don't know where else I could go for this much fun with that cash outlay. Granted, I'm not counting my time (I figure 1000-1200 hours) which would launch it into orbit, but I figure nobody on this forum is going to farm out all the work. I also decided not to go after sponsors which would have helped. 

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
11/3/21 10:55 a.m.

On the tire front it'll be interesting to see what becomes available after NASCAR makes the switch to 18's. I can only hope for cheap and plentiful 18x12 (or however wide) forged center lock wheels and even more race rubber options.

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
11/3/21 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Asphalt_Gundam :

Trans-Am is switching to 18's for next season, so there should be a glut of their old 16" centerlock BBS's hitting the market soon.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/4/21 4:59 a.m.

Here is my first pass winter list.

First up is removing the rear and sending to Tiger in NC for a full refresh.  I set it up as best I could. I'd like them to put it to spec and see if it sounds/feels any different.

FUEL

• Replace cell bladder
  • Install Fuel level gauge
  • Fuel vent, working correctly?
  • Change to race fuel fill 
  • Examine/clean filters
  • Fix fuel pressure gauge

BRAKES

• Swap to 7/8 masters (currently dual 1", super high pressure required...more to come)
  • Change rotors/pads

FLUIDS

• Flush brake fluid
  • Coolant for winter 
  • Change/analyze oil
  • Drain, contain diff fluid

FABRICATE

• cut more air into radiator
  • Windshield support
  • New cockpit fresh air intake

OTHER

• Send rear to Tiger, NC
  • Find power steering leak
  • Raise camera mount. 
  • Repair shifter boot
  • Install RacePak
  • cool suit???
  • purchase tires
  • window net
  • roll bar padding

jimgood
jimgood New Reader
11/6/21 8:38 a.m.

It was so fun seeing that beast finish out the weekend getting faster with each lap. I had a blast hanging out with you guys.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mC48ecrLtyR6EYhFLKUsRgyWYzYQxD1o3iltQqD044EM2GEHOCE5XlmsUqxP7yrf