HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
1/9/22 9:01 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

You will never look back. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/14/22 6:53 a.m.

It has been a little while. And i see that i am about to be in a pickle getting to the first VIR event in March. 
I got a complicated visa situation sorted out that allows me to travel to Indonesia ...leaving in a couple of weeks and takes me out for about a month. 
yikes. 
So, I will be organizing the list of to do's and the nice to do's tonight and report in. 
In the meantime, these came in. I am leaning toward painting the wheels either white or gray. Opinions welcomed. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/14/22 7:10 a.m.

How about hammerd finish rustoleum grey? 

HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
2/14/22 7:14 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Radial, interesting choice...  

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/14/22 8:21 a.m.

In reply to HalfFast :

Yeah, so we'll see.  I asked Phil for two options.  He recommended a bias ply to finish testing on but said the radials were the bomb for overall performance.  So...I sort of skipped that step.  I still plan to go with take offs ultimately,....I just needed to know I have some good rubber for the first event to at least check one box.  

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/14/22 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

That is a killer good idea.  Percolating that one.

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/15/22 6:10 a.m.

Between painting inside of my house, business and other side of the world zooms, I cleared a path to 36 and found the stuff that all needs to be installed/fixed/prepped before the season. 
Just getting this far is a relief and the new headspace I needed to kick myself into gear. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/15/22 6:26 a.m.

I will need to trim these and make mounts, but I am happy that the curve is very close to being correct  

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/28/22 8:08 p.m.

I am in Indonesia on business and woke up this morning to a whole bunch of folks sending me this...thanks Chris, David, JG and Tom for the spotlight!  This makes me want UTCC/Hyperfest to hurry up and get here!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/video/camaro-looks-stock-car-performance-asa-stock-car-track-machine-video/

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/1/22 10:42 a.m.

I have two 28.0 x 14.5R-16 and two 25.5 x 14.0R-16 R75A compound tires that have 7 runs on them, and they are coming off the car (moving to the S compound).  If you can use them, they are yours.

NavyNGLO
NavyNGLO New Reader
3/1/22 11:10 a.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :can I Segway back to the rear hubs. I am anal, but I would feel safer if an expert looked at the front hubs too. The back hubs had issues that needed to be addressed, so in my mind, there may be reliability issues with the front hubs. Auto building and maintenance are a recessive gene with me, so I am in awe of your skills. I happened upon your build and read the entirety. Bravo Zulu!

jh36
jh36 Dork
3/1/22 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

that's an awesome offer sir...I will poke around and see if I can find some wheels to fit.  If so, I will find something cool to trade you!!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/2/22 8:56 a.m.
jh36 said:

that's an awesome offer sir...I will poke around and see if I can find some wheels to fit.  If so, I will find something cool to trade you!!

Beer is cool ;)

jh36
jh36 Dork
3/2/22 9:59 a.m.

And imminently sharable.

actively looking for wheels.  THUMBS UP.yes  

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/2/22 7:06 p.m.

It has been a long time since I have been in the shop. I made some minor headway getting the new wiring connected to the new fuel cell. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/2/22 7:46 p.m.

Got everything loaded into the cell, tested the pumps and bolted the frame back on the car. All I need to do is find one dropped bolt and I can load it into the car. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/3/22 6:29 p.m.

Decent day. Found the bolt in 5 seconds this morning after hunting for 20 minutes last night.   The fuel cell is now assembled and bolted in. The rear is completely assembled, new rotor on the passenger side...all new bearings in and fresh red slippery stuff. 
I drove the new Hoosiers to my local guy so they should be mounted and ready in a day or two. 
High priority issues still left to do ....

new brake masters (replacing 1" with 3/4") 

windshield supports

rear window supports 

Water temp sender and gauge 

Radiator cooling ducts

There is plenty more to do but those are the big ones.  Summit Point is April 16/17

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/3/22 8:18 p.m.

not so exciting to look at, but lots of hours were spent this weekend from the driveshaft to the fuel cell. 

jimgood
jimgood New Reader
4/3/22 8:57 p.m.

I have hub envy.

Shake and bake!!

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/4/22 8:50 a.m.

Opinions welcomed...I have two questions for the herd.

I currently have 1" dual masters (tilton) on the car.  Testing last year, the pedal was extremely hard...it was like pushing on a wall.  I did not feel like the car was slowing anywhere near the rate it should and that was not at a very fast rate. 

I ordered 2 new 3/4" masters.  HalfFast sent me info on how to calculate the change in pressure and travel using acual MATH.  It looks like a change to 7/8" would have been the smart move. 

So here's question #1:

Should i stick with the 1" (what has been on the car forever) and get used to pushing REALLY HARD or flip to the 3/4" and risk running out of travel?

Topic number two....

I have been concerned that my overall air opening for the radiator is a little small.  I didn't experience overheating but my test days were cool.  I bought two ducts to bring in extra air into the box.  Now I'm questioning things...and concerned that MAYBE i will disrupt the airflow and possibly stall the air or create enough of a disruption to counter any advantage of additional surface area. 

Question #2

I realize this is a tough one to ask, but what do you think...pop in two additional hoses of fresh air or leave it alone?  And if I do, am I better off putting extra air in near the bottom (where the current air source/flow is) or near the top?

jimgood
jimgood New Reader
4/4/22 10:45 a.m.

I can't really picture what you're trying to do with the ducts but my inclination would be it's easier to build now for more air and block off later if it's too much.

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/4/22 7:33 p.m.

Ok, here is the current air intake...just over the splitter (removed here)

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/4/22 7:34 p.m.

here is one of the air intakes...just under the front bumper (removed)

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/4/22 7:36 p.m.

this flex hose will fit onto the duct and connect to this fitting, attaching to the shroud. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/4/22 7:37 p.m.

something like this x2. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yLWVizGyrNne7XPlM3OqszUOdlEFaVWKYOPtaAFYEU82bsf3vMOLW6Q0GDeBijdj