1 2 3
Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck Reader
11/18/18 7:49 p.m.

UPDATE:

So what I was machining out on the lathe was a adapter sleeve for 1984ish-98ish S10 balljoints, super common, CHEAP!, and much much stronger then the Vega or Monza ones that could fit in the factory sleeves. They also use spindles which are a simple swap into the Vega's front suspension thus giving her bigger more common brakes.

arms with the old balljoint. new sleeve hole marked out, 1/8th inch inward from the factory BJ position to help with the different location of the BJ in the spindle. its about 1/4" total making more negative camber. We figured that it might be worth having the additional range of negative camber since she will be autocrossing this car.

after cutting, test fitting the sleeve

Welding the sleeves in

and after hammering the balljoint into place

This isnt all what is going to be modified on this control arms. We are going to make a swaybar mount, on a nice evening walk this summer in the woods we came across a  burn't Chevy Monza left abandoned in a field, after asking the closest house if they minded if we picked a few parts off it got the front and rear sway bars, as well as the powersteering setup and power brake booster. all in decent shape. Turns out it was a Spyder model as well so it should be the larger sway bars.

Also! we plan on running Fox-Mustang front and rear springs. little bit of research comparing spring sizes and weights Ive found they are SO simular she should be able to use my old lowering springs out of my Mustang. Both mustang and Astre utilize a 4 link rear suspension and are balanced fairly simularly (front engine, hatchback) Might require a small amount of deepening of the spring bucket.

Again Cheap! and More common parts....catch a trend ;)

-thanks for following

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/19/18 8:07 a.m.

What gloves are you two wearin' while out in the 'shop' ? Better yet how bout some pics of y'all fully suited up?

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck Reader
11/19/18 2:06 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Right now typically no gloves, only about -10 degrees Celsius right now. By -30 I'm typically just got mechanics gloves or Watson "hand job-better than nothin" gloves. Carhart pants and jacket right Now, sometimes jeans. Might upgrade to thermal pants and a hoodie under what I've got now. 

She typically is wearing everything she can even now lol. Same Watson gloves, jogging pants under old jeans, sweaters, flannel jacket. When it gets a bit colder she's also got a Milwaukee heated jacket.

We are both fairly used to the cold, -2 bothers me more then -25. Tent keeps the wind off you and at -2 Your wet and that just freezes you to the bone. Right now tho, -10 is fairly nice to work in, ground is frozen, not too cold out, I even for short stints less then an hour go out in just jeans and t-shirt still. 

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck Reader
12/18/18 11:05 p.m.

UPDATE:

So She picked up a set of old-skool aftermarket turbine rims that'll suit her 1970's hot rod theme quite nicely

Also parts showed up from rock auto. Brake rotors and front and rear complete bushing set

Also my contribution. I finished up the front lower control arms, made a bracket for the monza sway bar to mount. as well as removed the old rubber bushings and replaced with the new urethane. and painted them

Finished control arms. Now shes actually got the upper control arms out so work installing the S10 upper ball joint and new poly bushings can begin. Shes also re-undercoated the fender wells in prep for all the new parts.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/19/18 7:20 a.m.

Good stuff!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IBPMHFWfHDhnxqbpcpA2Shif8k4haZhMXQY4IHvcvxHUpB0fa5tpPE5wVeCcDHwp