n1c3tr1
n1c3tr1 New Reader
3/21/16 12:00 p.m.

So I have been lurking on the boards here for about 8 years. Created an account a while ago but didn't feel like I had anything to add, until now. I have been going to GRM $2000 challenge since 2008. It has been one of the few racing events I really look forward to each year. This year I decided to try my hand a buying, building, and racing a car.

I did buy this car before the 2015 challenge but between having no time to mess with it and it in a non-running condition, I went to the GRM challenge without a car again. This year will be different. I am going to make it to the event!!! (with this car hopefully)

So, now for the car...

I found her on CL with no price and a shady seller. I managed to get a phone number from him and was able to schedule a time to go look at it. When we arrived at a even shadier tree farm, no pun intended, the guy rolled up on an atv and told me to follow him. We drove at least another mile into this farm out in the middle of no and finally came upon the crusty blue CRX. After a brief look at it and a failed attempt to start it, we started the price negotiations. He said over the phone he has $500 in it but will take less. I asked him how much and he told me to make an offer. So I offered $150. He said he had that in the new distributor he installed trying to get it running again. So I said $200. At this point i think he just wanted me and the CRX off his property and said $300 and it's yours. So I took the deal and we loaded it up on the car dolly to tow it back to my house.

It is a 1991 Honda CRX DX 5spd. It has the D15b2 and Dual Port Fuel Injection or DPFI, which does kinda suck. Looks to be the oringal motor, all stock air box and exhaust.

Now the best part... 423k miles. Yes, 423k miles.

So far we got it running, replaced main relay and fuel pump fuse and she fired right up. Smokes like crazy, brakes are utter crap but I put 1 mile on her driving around our 5 acres. All I need to do now is get it tagged and insured so I can really put some miles on her. I am hoping to turn this into a solid autox and dd.

Link to the full album

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
3/21/16 12:05 p.m.

Excellent! Welcome aboard.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
3/21/16 12:06 p.m.

What's the plan? Mini-me? B-series swap? CRV B20's are cheap as hell.

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
3/21/16 12:21 p.m.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
3/21/16 12:28 p.m.

Awesome! My first challenge car was a $300 CRX. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it!

n1c3tr1
n1c3tr1 New Reader
3/21/16 12:28 p.m.

I don't know yet. I know the rings and valve guides are shot, that's why it smokes under hard acceleration. So I was thinking low compression vitara pistons and some used or cheap forged rods and BOOST. Or going the complete opposite and doing a a custom ITB setup and high compression. But I think I am going to keep the D15b2, unless someone has something they are willing to separate with for cheap?

Don't know what I should do about fuel and spark? Should I convert to ODB1 and chip it, or just spend the money and build a MS2 or the like?

MPFI is a must and will be on the list.

I already got a full rear disc brake swap from an SI for free, gift from the uncle that had one left over. How does that work for budget. I need to start keeping track of that.

Total - $360ish, I will double check when I get home...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/21/16 12:56 p.m.

Welcome.
If you've been atteding, would we know you?

The Odyssey has a 2.2L coming out...

n1c3tr1
n1c3tr1 New Reader
3/21/16 1:25 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Welcome. If you've been atteding, would we know you? The Odyssey has a 2.2L coming out...

I don't know anyone, so I would assume no one knows me. :)

I just like to walk around and look and watch the races.

Is the 2.2L a F22B? Might be worth a look. What price are we talking?

BTW - I live in the Gainesville Area. If anyone has some left over parts or want to let go of some stuff let me know.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/21/16 3:48 p.m.

In reply to n1c3tr1:

I was referencing the engine from this build happening in Jacksonville.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2016-grm-challenge-soccer-mom-class-domination/107243/page1/

Well, maybe we don't know you but I was there for the past two years with the Q45's and if you stopped by, I am sure we said hello.

beans
beans Dork
3/27/16 1:33 p.m.

Too bad you're not closer to NW Ohio. I have a buddy who has a full, nearly disassembled D16Z6 that needs some bore work and pistons, as well as a low compression B20 with a burnt valve.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
3/27/16 1:45 p.m.

Since the K-series came out, no one gives a crap about the D and B series motors anymore and their prices have gone in the toilet. It'll probably be easier and cheaper just to toss in one of those versus trying to get much out of the d15.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m14TXJl66sfWrjvxMDBbAms554LHip89NiJDYhaf5wcgewA2xjOkKs03pmaxqfgW