The gears are turning

Alright... Quick update... the following has been accomplished:

• Spare header on car
  • Cooling system replaced
  • Spare alternator mounted
  • Battery tray Installed
  • Ongoing rust neutralizing battle
  • Car starts and idles

So... moving on to some of the necessary things to make the car drive. The next things on the list include:

• Tie down for battery
  • replacement of brake components
  • troubleshoot the ignition to starter issue (probably relay)
  • suspension/brakes
  • Paint wheels (what color?) and mount tires

Here are some pictures for the visual type.

A couple of interesting notes. pretty much everything in the brakes must have been new when the car was stored. the pads, both front at rear, are full thickness.

Also, the car has another date with the pressure washer tomorrow.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
5/5/16 2:54 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Very cool--thanks for sharing. If you want this thread moved to the build section, just let us know.

If you could move this to the build section I would appreciate it

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/5/16 2:58 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab:

Wish granted.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
6/25/16 5:45 a.m.

It's on the ground

Accomplished: - All hydraulics installed. - Wheels and tires are on.

Next steps: -thorough bleed job -Grounding of engine bay electrics

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-sGcqd3VlMgQ/V25fQaI6qWI/AAAAAAAAII4/54NPKovM5UEz7ZxpOLRUhOrio-yswYoawCL0B/w443-h249-no/20160624_191918.jpg

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
6/25/16 7:53 a.m.

That looks awesome!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
6/27/16 9:53 p.m.

Outstanding!

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
6/27/16 11:33 p.m.

That header wasn't directing exhaust gas as much as just providing a general guideline on which way it might want to go in life. Very cool find though I am jealous of the finished product but not all the rusty and broken bolts you have to go through to get there.

slowkid
slowkid New Reader
6/28/16 5:53 a.m.

I know this is GRM & all... but PLEASE get some proper jack stands to replace the cinder blocks. I realize the car is light, but still (I'm surprised no-one else has commented about this). I say this because we all want to see continued progress on this & not have you injured because of a failed cinder block.

That being said, awesome work! I agree with many of the previous comments: 1) +1 vote to keep/replicate the stripes (in fact redo the documented livery) 2) for $100 that is damn hard NOT to buy 3) you are braver than me with rust, but then again I am afraid of rust

That is all, carry on.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
6/28/16 6:02 a.m.
slowkid wrote: I know this is GRM & all... but PLEASE get some proper jack stands to replace the cinder blocks.

Thanks for the feedback!

The cinder blocks were only because it was at a storage lot and there were a pile of them nearby. I didn't want to leave my jackstands outside. car is getting moved today to a more work capable environment.

slowkid
slowkid New Reader
7/2/16 8:00 p.m.

Cool, I feel better that you use actual jack stands while you're working on it

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
7/14/16 10:36 a.m.

New Location and New (Old) Parts

So a couple small wins. Can has been moved to a storage unit to continue work.

Also, I have found locally and purchased a set of doors (only a couple small rust holes!!!), x2 BMW m20 engines(an "i" and an "eta"), complete 5 speed transmission, Engine harness, ECU, spare cylinder head, Grill, random necessary swap parts, and Hella headlamps for $450.

This acquisition basically gives me everything I need to build a BMW m20 2.7i motor. Theoretically that is good for 220whp with only a 85 lb weight penalty over stock.

Sorry about the overexposed pictures; it is very bright in FL this time of year.

And now pictures:

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
7/14/16 10:47 a.m.

How much is the 2002 motor going to put back into the budget?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
7/14/16 10:58 a.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: How much is the 2002 motor going to put back into the budget?

Nothing. I've already sold off my maximum. The front and rear bumpers that were on the car sold for $300 each. The chrome trim was a couple hundred and the spare carb m10 intake manifold was a couple hundred.

I need to update my spreadsheet, but I am currently sitting with a negative build cost.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/14/16 1:11 p.m.
NordicSaab wrote: This acquisition basically gives me everything I need to build a BMW m20 2.7i motor. Theoretically that is good for 220whp with only a 85 lb weight penalty over stock.

I think that may be an optimistic value, but I still like how this project is going.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/13/16 6:23 a.m.

Crunch Time

haven't posted for a while because I have been frantically getting the car done. A picture is worth a thousand words. p.s. - i'm registered :)

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
9/13/16 9:33 a.m.

I can't wait to see this in a couple of weeks. It's come a long way since I last saw it in person.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/16/16 6:22 a.m.

Last Unknown

So, for the first time, I am confident I will show up at The Challenge with a running, driving, and stopping car. Some of you picked up that I have not driven the car because the clutch was fused. A quick google search will reveal how many crazy ways there are to free a stuck clutch; I chose none of them and just dropped the transmission.

And after 2 minutes of sanding:

Overall the clutch is in very good shape. It looks like new, but has been sitting a really long time. I ordered a new clutch, but this one will be going back on after a bit more sanding. One thing I will say is none of the "internet" methods would have freed this thing... it was on there.

Updated to-do list: Mount seat re-install RR taillight put on wheels install push button start install hood pins Reinstall clutch/transmission replace driveshaft center support bearing Exhaust install install air filter

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
9/16/16 9:16 a.m.

For some reason recent picts aren't working for me.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
9/16/16 10:04 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: For some reason recent picts aren't working for me.

Worked for me.

Good luck! I too am missing a transmission from my Challenge car. We got this.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
9/16/16 5:22 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: For some reason recent picts aren't working for me.

Me either

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/16/16 5:42 p.m.

Google Plus Link

All photos can be seen at the link above... idk why it isn't working.

BTW, I'm reinstalling the transmission tonight :)

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
9/16/16 10:30 p.m.

Great work on this so far, can't wait to see more. I'm still on the fence about whether or not you got a deal, but it definitely looks better than I would expect for a hundo.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/18/16 7:02 a.m.

It moves under its own power for the first time in 26 years.

Video.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/18/16 7:09 a.m.

Very Productive Evening

Please see the link above for the video. Pictures are below.

Slimeralled the dash

New Center Support Bearing

Removed the kidney "wings" from the seat and added belts

Rewelded a cracked weld.

24mm box end I had the shave from 3/4" to 5/16"to pull center support bearing

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
208V167KDpgjI7fuYdkZVuMUcAXVbbbCebBwv3z1BvLEndSnf9MGa4Pi8E5X2ea5