2 3 4 5 6
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/27/16 8:03 a.m.

Wow that is rusty. I thought we had some rust repair to do, but we ain't got nothing on yours.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
9/27/16 9:22 a.m.

Oh holy hood, we pray for your redemption.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
9/27/16 1:07 p.m.

I have never seen a hood so corroded. The rest of the car seems to be coming along nicely though.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/27/16 1:10 p.m.
cdowd wrote: I have never seen a hood so corroded. The rest of the car seems to be coming along nicely though.

I think a battery decomposed under it for 25 years. Also, the metal hood supports have a nice "U" channel to hold moisture under the hood.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/27/16 1:27 p.m.

Final Budget

So, I just finished my budget for this year and the grand (allowable) total of the build is -$220.44

This is possible only because of a couple of conditions. 1) The language in the rules related to only half the purchase price being recoverable is not in the rules for this year.
2) Much of the work I did cost wise was brakes which is not a budget item.

The raw numbers would show I spent $1,010.04 total, $619.56 are allowable after backing out safety costs, and $840 in parts were sold off of the car (Both bumpers and a spare intake manifold).

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
9/27/16 6:16 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab:

Nice job! Looking forward to seeing this in a few days.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/27/16 7:34 p.m.

Pix work on Safari now.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/27/16 8:24 p.m.

All pics working, unbelievable build

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
9/28/16 9:06 a.m.

I like this car far more than I should. Remember to tell them at registration that you are in the "under $1,000" class. I don't think there is an under $0 class. :)

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/28/16 9:58 p.m.

Fraulein Rust is in the trailer

Stampie
Stampie Dork
9/28/16 10:13 p.m.

Can't wait to see the BMW tomorrow. Be nice to see you also.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
9/28/16 11:03 p.m.

Just turning this thing back into a recognizable car for that money is impressive, but making it a race car is something worthy of applause indeed.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/29/16 6:22 a.m.

How hood?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
9/29/16 9:34 a.m.

Wow. Thats rusty! Good job extending it's life and putting it back to work.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
9/29/16 9:46 a.m.

BMW 2002 superleggera!

Durty
Durty New Reader
9/29/16 2:50 p.m.

Put some louvers over the hood's rust hole and call it temperature management. Viper charges a lot for that.

BA5
BA5 New Reader
9/29/16 3:06 p.m.

That's awesome. I figured 2002's had moved out of challenge territory no matter how bad shape they're in.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/3/16 6:34 a.m.

2016 Challenge

Overall I had a great time at the 2016 GRM challenge. The car was beat on for the entire weekend and never missed a beat. The autocross yielded a 44.3 second pass and the drag was a 16.3.

Autocross

Autocross was challenging for a couple of reasons.

1) The BMW's lock to lock turn is 3.5 rotations (very slow, like... truck slow)

2) The BMW's welded differential made every corner a drift.

3) Horsepower, the BMW ran well, but the autocross was a high HP course and the BMW's 120hp wasn't going to cut it.

Overall, I was pleased with the car's autocross performance.

Drags

The drags turned out to be the BMW's best event. The welded diff and 4:34 rear end produced 60' times near that of the top competitors. Trap speeds were consistently 79-81 MPH and best time was a 16.3 second pass.

Concours

Concours was a surprise. The little BMW complete with history scored a 22/75 in concours. That score was good enough for a 5th from the bottom placement. I assumed I would be middle of the pack, but I think there were a couple areas that hindered my performance in concours.

1) Many cars were starting their engines in the pavilion during my concurs speech and I think most of what I said was never received.

2) The BMW occupies a strange "corner condition" of the judging criteria and as a result failed to yield points.

3) I believe the judges inferred the car was purchased in running/driving condition because of the lack of communication listed in post 1.

I was very disappointed and discouraged with the concours result and considered, for a moment, abandoning the project.

Conclusion

The main reason I come to the challenge every year is for the people. They are some of the best folks you will ever meet. This year was no exception. There is no other place on earth like the challenge. Overall, my goal for the challenge was to beat on the BMW and finish middle of the pack on all events. I accomplished this goal in the areas I had control over.

The BMW also got a ton of love from spectators, course workers, and GRM staff alike. It took a beating and kept going. The BMW burn outs at the drags were the highlight of my event. If you have never seen a POS BMW with a 4 cylinder rip off a 10-15 second staging burnout it is something to behold.

To those who have followed this build, thank you. The support and comments help drive me forward. Rest assured, the car will be back at the challenge next year with some new hardware. Please stay tuned, the next 13 months will be interesting.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/3/16 6:47 a.m.

I too would have thought the'02 would have had a higher Concourse score. I enjoyed seeing the car and enjoyed being near it and around it. I did see your burnouts and they really were VERY cool.
Lets also not forget that the '02 was pictured on the GRM FB page days before the event where the '02 provided a great visual prelude and visual summary to what The Challenge is about.

Well done. Great seeing you. Eager to see more of the '02!

I think the '02 was a near perfect example of the word "barn find".

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
10/3/16 7:21 a.m.

Wow, just knowing what you started with I would have expected a higher show score. It is an awesome little car though and I'm glad you saved it!

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
10/3/16 8:36 a.m.

Great work man! The 02 was fun to watch. I did not expect you to be pulling faster drag times than my miata, but you did!

Stampie
Stampie Dork
10/3/16 9:40 a.m.

I loved the BMW and want to see it back. We went heads up several times and each time you had at least half a car on me at the 60 foot. Amazing little car and you're right about the burn outs. Everyone around me in the stands were talking about it.

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
10/3/16 10:39 a.m.

It was awesome to see this car that hadn't been run in OVER 20 YEARS, be resurrected and BEAT ON all weekend without a hiccup.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/16/16 10:32 a.m.

GRM Challenge Photos

Photos I compiled from several resources.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/16/16 10:35 a.m.

Things to Come

Just a couple of teaser photos for next steps. I am still working through a back log from the Hurricane and Life, but it is going to be a good year :)

13x12 inch wheels courtesy of the Georgia Tech Team. $100 for the 4 wheels and $40 for the tires :)

BMW M20 on the stand.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4G0qY6AExKpT8GOS2MHcFnEn9xcsWQpcIMcr6Lq7gkEjpSANCxfJLErdHCjX35oa