3 4 5 6
Stampie
Stampie Dork
10/16/16 11:50 a.m.

Since you're going from a M10 to a M20 that means it'll be twice as fast right?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/16/16 12:12 p.m.
Stampie wrote: Since you're going from a M10 to a M20 that means it'll be twice as fast right?

lol. So the thought is the following

M10 = 100hp... maybe

M20 = 170hp

M90 = 9 psi

9PSI/1ATM(14.7PSI) = .61

M20 + M90 = 170hp^(1.61ATM) = 273.7hp

273hp > 100hp

Stampie
Stampie Dork
10/16/16 1:10 p.m.

I like your higher level math. GA Tech team ain't got nothing on you.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/16/16 1:55 p.m.
Stampie wrote: I like your higher level math. GA Tech team ain't got nothing on you.

Yeah, but can he weld aluminum? GA Tech shows of their aluminum welding at the challenge every year.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/16/16 2:10 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

Not nice Joshua, they're only kids... FWIW I can weld aluminum, and get penetration... at... the... same... time

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/3/17 8:23 a.m.

Bye Bye M10

So, the M10 is gone. Sold for $600 to a forum member. Money is good towards my wallet, but makes no impact to the challenge budget. However, I will be able to back out all of the costs related to the engine.

Under the new rules this will put my total spend right around $100. Goal for next year is to remain in the under $1000 class with the M20 Engine installed.

I have a couple of M10 things left including the Weber 32/36, intake manifold and Long tube M10 headers if anyone is interested.

Obligatory Photos:

Link: https://goo.gl/photos/hir4Yw3gSiYCQVdb9

Stampie
Stampie Dork
1/3/17 11:14 a.m.
NordicSaab wrote: Under the new rules this will put my total spend right around $100. Goal for next year is to remain in the under $1000 class with the M20 Engine installed.

Hmmm ... I know of a Q45 that will take that as a Challenge. Pun intended.

Nomad
Nomad Reader
1/3/17 4:22 p.m.

So very envious of that '02! Can't wait to see the progress

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/13/17 1:20 p.m.

Now under new ownership. We're just redneck hacks compared to NordicSaab but we really appreciate him for letting us continue the BMWs journey.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
5/13/17 2:58 p.m.

Oh wow! I didn't expect this thing to change hands. What was the price? Congrats.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
5/13/17 3:01 p.m.

Changing of the guard

Beat me to it Stampie.

Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know that the '02 will be passing on to Stampie. He came and took delivery this morning of the car and all the associated parts that I have accumulated. The transaction price was low enough that the '02 could return to the GRM Challenge.

The reason for the sale is it was going to be literally 3 years before I could re-engage in the build. Work is insane, I have 3 other cars, and a second child on the way. Keeping the '02 in storage was no fair to anyone, myself included.

Stampie had feelings for the car from the moment he saw it. As such, he was given first shot at its purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing what Stampie does with the build. :)

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/13/17 4:21 p.m.

We're home with what everyone seems to be calling Asa's first car. I was just thinking about the weird little twist of fate that brought this together.

First I noticed the Jobox on the trailer that came with the BMW. That lead to me seeing the BMW in person and I guess I didn't hide my love for it well. A few weeks ago I was joking with Asa about getting his first car at 9 and he said he wanted this one. I half jokingly mentioned it to NordicSaab and when I got the offer to buy it last week it didn't take me long to decide. Then to boot a conversation with another parent at Asa's school Thursday about his love of cars lead to an offer of a parts car. Sometimes things just come together.

Current plans are to put it away until after the Challenge in October. I've been bench racing all this week and while I'm going in a slightly different direction that the plans before, I think the spirit will remain.

In the meantime I'm going to start trying to zero it out and get my ducks in a row so it'll be at 2018 Challenge.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/13/17 4:45 p.m.

It is a cool little car. Congrats to you both!

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/16/17 5:24 p.m.

I've been thinking over the last few days as I read the minor confession thread from the beginning. Where do I want to end up with the BMW and what detours will it take on the way?

The car has wonderful history as an ex SCCA racer with log book. I don't want to ruin that history. Whatever changes I do I need to either kept that history or make the change reversible. I do want to Challenge it at half budget. Only thing better than a Japanese V8 sedan beating a Vette is a tiny German car with a 4 banger beating a Vette.

I really tried to find a BMW engine that I'd be happy with for the Challenge. It came with the M20s NordicSaab had but looking at the weights it was already slightly nose heavy. I didn't want to add another 85lbs much less add it all up front. Goal is sub 2000lbs with driver, as close to 50/50 weight distribution as possible, and 200ish wheel horsepower. I'm open to other suggestions but I think I've settled on a turbo'ed Saturn LLO backed by a T5. That should meet the goals and weigh less than the M10 that was in there.

So post Challenge I'd like to go back to the M10 I think. Maybe turbo'ed but not sure. I do know I want to street drive it in striped race car mode cause it's berking cool how it is.

Thoughts?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/16/17 5:46 p.m.

Build the car once. Build the car you want to own AFTER the challenge, not FOR the challenge.

Im a big proponent of the basic recipe being what you want, and making it fit the budget while not sucking.

Our car, for instance: after the challenge, it will be the car i renew my time trial liscence with and get dallas through the ranks of hpde, as well as a c prepared car. Remove nitrous, upgrade brakes, reinstall passengers seat, and build flares. Done for the overall goal. But all the bones show up at the challenge. Except for the manual transmission. Cant fit that into the budget for the challenge.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/16/17 6:02 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I understand that. To be honest the LLO is what I want. Really as I think about it I'd be happy driving the LLO afterwards but I'd want a M10 and matching transmission stored up in case someone is able to pry it from my dead hands.

On that note Asa and I came to an agreement. He'll be allowed to drive it occasionally only if it's not too fast and he drives responsible. When he's 30 I'll let him have it if he's capable of taking care of it and I get first dibs on it if he gets rid of it. So basically good luck to him on prying it out of my dead hands.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/16/17 7:05 p.m.

Then go with whatever the hell an llo is. Just make bolt in mounts and dint hack the car any more than it is.

So plan after the challenge is street car?

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/16/17 7:42 p.m.

My plan is always a street car no matter how stupid the idea is.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
5/18/17 12:39 p.m.
Stampie wrote: . . . . I'm open to other suggestions but I think I've settled on a turbo'ed Saturn LLO backed by a T5. Thoughts?

I fully approve of the turbo LLO backed by a T5.

(for those wondering, Stampie is referring to the DOHC four cylinder engine used in the first and second generation Saturns SC2, SL2, & SW2)

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/18/17 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy:

You always agree with my crazy plans. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
5/18/17 1:38 p.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to Indy-Guy: You always agree with my crazy plans. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

He agrees with everyone's crazy ideas...so does everyone else here. We are enablers.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/18/17 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

Put an Issetta 2 stroke in it...light weight and it WILL STILL likely beat a vette. Well at least the B&S vette.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
5/18/17 4:39 p.m.

+1 for a boosted M10. Friend of mine had one in his dime store 2002 Turbo and it was...somethin' else.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
5/18/17 9:10 p.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to Indy-Guy: You always agree with my crazy plans. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

True, very true.

However you are the only one I've ever heard mention the mythical combination of the super light LLO and T5. (well, the only one outside of the locostusa forum).

.... and because I have been daily driving an LLO equipped Saturn for the last 15 years, I've dreamed of the RWD conversion many, many times. I would really like to see you pull it off.

{that, and yeah, I'm an automotive antic enabler}

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/26/17 1:55 p.m.

I went 44 years through life without owning a BMW. Now less than two weeks after buying my first I got my second. It's a free 1974 parts car. It's rusting out from behind the 1/8th inch of bondo on it but lots of parts and hopefully patch panels we can use. I'm mostly excited about the Konig alloy wheels and hopefully a good open diff to try and make LSD with later parts.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JV5yBO5WyYI0Ik9aR5BcJkneC0N1jF2EXGnJKjxIRPYtoqEDFyBMBEfMT7uROdIn