Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
8/15/12 10:14 a.m.

It seems like most people in the office have had a white Miata at one point or another. Here's the current active one. It has 260,000 miles or so, with an engine rebuild around 250k.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-mx-5-miata/fun-firm/

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
8/15/12 10:23 a.m.

even GRMers outside of the office have had a white miata. I thought it was required

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
8/15/12 10:44 a.m.

My white Miata is still a work in progress. Running, driving, needing only a new rear window and some minor body work.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/15/12 11:27 a.m.

My white Miata is a '92, so it's totally different.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
8/15/12 11:47 a.m.

I guess thats why I dont work there anymore.

Never had a white Miata. There was the black V8 one for the 2010 Challenge but that was after I left.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/15/12 1:34 p.m.

I have never owned a Miata.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
8/15/12 1:38 p.m.

How many miata owners we got on this board anyhow??

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
8/15/12 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

Nice.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
8/15/12 2:08 p.m.

I have a Miata!

Alan Cesar
8/15/12 3:23 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I have a Miata!

Only because you liked mine so much.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
8/15/12 3:54 p.m.

I should add that I sold the black V8 one right after the challenge because it still wasn't manly enough.

I am not sure how Tommy is going to handle his new yellow Corky Romano Edition Miata.

All kidding aside I like Miatas but just have no real desire to own one.

Alan Cesar
10/3/12 10:38 a.m.

Details on those wheels.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-mx-5-miata/hot-wheels-track-days/

Winston
Winston Reader
10/3/12 1:00 p.m.

Those look good! I've been considering getting some of Diamond's wheels for the Spitfire/Miata. You list the backspacing as 5", which would equate to +1" of offset on an 8" wheel, or about 25mm. Stock Miata offset is 40mm-45mm depending on wheel size, correct? So at each corner this pushes the wheel out 15mm-20mm due to the lower offset, and 25mm due to the additional wheel width, for a total of 40-45mm or 1.6-1.8 inches. Does that sound about right? It's hard to tell via the pics.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
10/3/12 1:05 p.m.

I wouldn't mind a miata, but my 90 lb blonde ex has one and it kind of ruins it for me.

Alan Cesar
10/3/12 1:27 p.m.
Winston wrote: Those look good! I've been considering getting some of Diamond's wheels for the Spitfire/Miata. You list the backspacing as 5", which would equate to +1" of offset on an 8" wheel, or about 25mm. Stock Miata offset is 40mm-45mm depending on wheel size, correct? So at each corner this pushes the wheel out 15mm-20mm due to the lower offset, and 25mm due to the additional wheel width, for a total of 40-45mm or 1.6-1.8 inches. Does that sound about right? It's hard to tell via the pics.

Without looking it all up, it sounds like you're on the right track. These tires are at least an inch shorter in overall diameter than stock. With appropriately tall tires (on 15-inch wheels), this car could be herrafrush, y0. Here's a visual for you:

Winston
Winston Reader
10/3/12 2:00 p.m.

Excellent. Thanks for that pic, that's what I wanted to see.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/8/12 10:18 p.m.

You can buy 15x8s that weigh less and only cost $19 more each and can fit the NB Sport brakes if you ever wanted to.

I guess the lighter tire makes up for it, but still don't really see the point.

Alan Cesar
10/31/12 10:24 a.m.

But I don't want to fit NB Sport brakes. These little brakes are good enough for Spec Miatas, then they're good enough for me. These wheels look damn good anyway.

The cooling system doesn't look damn good, though. Here's a long-awaited update wherein I replaced a bunch of hoses and junk. After about a quarter-million miles, a Miata's hoses start to let go.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-mx-5-miata/spurt-spurt-spurt/

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
11/5/12 11:17 a.m.

an engine rebuild at 250k, but the hoses were original?!

Alan Cesar
11/5/12 12:12 p.m.

When the rebuild happens on a garage floor 2 days before the car has to be put back together to drive to Florida to start a new job, the parts that aren't immediately failing and aren't available locally get filed under, "good enough for now." There were lots of surprise actually-broken things that needed immediate replacing, and I spent a lot of time and money getting those. Hoses were low on the list of things needing attention.

Relevant post:
http://www.sentimentalmechanic.com/2011/07/engine-rebuild-and-swap.html

Alan Cesar
12/19/12 12:04 p.m.

Seems like the lifespan of a Miata radiator is about 90,000 miles.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-mx-5-miata/more-cooling-system-woes/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/19/12 12:29 p.m.

...or 22 years.

Alan Cesar
12/19/12 12:59 p.m.

Three and a half, actually. This blown-up one is the second radiator I've put in this car. The first one was at my second autocross, just a few months after I bought the car.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
12/19/12 1:00 p.m.

Mine made it 130k miles, but only 16 years.

Happened right before a sharp corner and a narrow bridge crossing at the Ascutney Hillclimb. Completely washed my windshield and gave me a serious pucker moment.

Changed it with a new (old bent up pre-crashed Spec Miata) radiator at the top of the mountain and kept racing for the rest of the weekend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dgF7qsxaXA8iZqgB79kYR9cDlR5tS1xDXemhVsVE2cWbMzZwgK4u1i31dCiPVivB