1 2 3 4 5
petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
6/17/15 9:24 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Oh, forgot to post this rather grotesque find. Two mummified mice. It appears to be a mother and baby, perfectly intact with ears, toenails, eyelids, bones. nothing else. There a few holes that you can peek through the skin and see bones. But all the mouse turds are out of the cab finally.

Awww...they're cute!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/21/15 4:21 p.m.

Homemade tools to the rescue!

1st chain was lasted through the 1st wheel, Sheared on the 2nd. Then I remembered the chain from my hoist.

the fingers are are from a Harbor Freight el-cheapo gear puller.

But they are off and I have a "new" tool idea.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
6/21/15 5:58 p.m.

I sell the tool that does that. Yours is WAY cheaper!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/24/15 5:29 a.m.

While the purists may complain, I did want modern rims on the truck for safety and better tire choices than going through coker. I also wanted to be able to roll the truck around the garage. the 35 year old tires weren't even up to that task.

$100 later on Craigslist, a set of early 2000s Chevy 2500HD rims with tires good enough to hold air while sitting in the garage. Maybe down the road I'll paint them to the original green of the steelies.

60+ years later, GM was still using the same bolt pattern and hub bore.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
6/24/15 6:01 a.m.

Oooo, I have that tool for removing semi wheels and drums but never thought of using that type of jack on a car. Thanks!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/24/15 7:28 a.m.

I usually frown upon modern wheels on old vehicles, but those look great. And I love the idea of painting them like the originals. Great choice!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/24/15 1:46 p.m.

Yeah, those don't look too out of place, especially if you paint them, and if deletes what I assume are ancient rusty, split rims, all the better.

Kennysmadmuscle
Kennysmadmuscle New Reader
7/1/15 11:41 a.m.

I have a 39 GMC ac302 1.5 ton frame of resto nearly finished and 46 GMC ec233. Both have 228s. Gmc eng is longer than Chevy blocks. Will not fit. I have original shop manuals. If you have questions about motor chassis etc let me know and I will look it up in the manuals to help you out. Also I am selling the unrestored 46 on Craigslist in New Orleans. Will send you a link to my temp site to see the GMCs if you want.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy HalfDork
7/2/15 6:56 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Homemade tools to the rescue! 1st chain was lasted through the 1st wheel, Sheared on the 2nd. Then I remembered the chain from my hoist. the fingers are are from a Harbor Freight el-cheapo gear puller. But they are off and I have a "new" tool idea.

TECH TIP!

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
7/2/15 11:25 p.m.

Man that truck actually looks really good with the new truck wheels. I guess GM didn't want to mess with a good thing.

Reminds me of that guy with the Ecoboost swap into the F100 who found out that the cab mounts are more or less in the same place on the F150 frame 60 years later.

What a cool old truck. The bump start button on the starter has gotta stay.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/3/15 6:35 a.m.

A quick road trip to Green Bay resulted in a mid engined minivan and then up to Caspian, Mi to visit an old friend.

What do I have here? Oh, not much. Just a 270 GMC to replace my stuck and cracked block.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
7/3/15 6:45 a.m.

The soup can carburetor held on with duct tape would probably work with a bit of fiddling.

The gear shifter is obvious, but what is the other lever for?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/3/15 6:48 a.m.

My back hurts just looking at that.

Grtechguy wrote:
fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
7/3/15 7:39 a.m.
petegossett wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: Oh, forgot to post this rather grotesque find. Two mummified mice. It appears to be a mother and baby, perfectly intact with ears, toenails, eyelids, bones. nothing else. There a few holes that you can peek through the skin and see bones. But all the mouse turds are out of the cab finally.
Awww...they're cute!

I always wondered what happened to these guys..

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/3/15 10:06 a.m.
fujioko wrote: The soup can carburetor held on with duct tape would probably work with a bit of fiddling. The gear shifter is obvious, but what is the other lever for?

Drift brake yo! All kidding aside, it is the parking brake.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/3/15 11:24 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: What do I have here? Oh, not much. Just a 270 GMC to replace my stuck and cracked block.

Excellent!

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
7/3/15 2:54 p.m.

Awesome. Check and see if the chevy 216/235 tuneup parts jive with the gmc engine before i try to get them to you. Internet spotty at best, have to be in bed leaning on window or sitting on toilet to get 4g service. I brought them with me, and drove by the barn that your truck came from twice yesterday.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/3/15 3:01 p.m.

From what I've read, external accessories are interchangeable

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/3/15 4:39 p.m.
fujioko wrote: The gear shifter is obvious, but what is the other lever for?

Driveline parking brake, you can see the drum if you look closely.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
7/4/15 12:30 a.m.

Man, with a parking brake lever that prominent GMC wasn't exactly giving a lot of confidence to their truck's reliability.

I know that some Range Rovers also have a driveline parking brake. It makes a lot of sense, assuming that the drum mechanism's delicate little springs aren't exposed to salty roads like the Range Rover implementation does.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/4/15 3:57 a.m.

So whats the plan with the new engine? Spray can rebuild or pull it apart for a full recondition?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/4/15 7:30 a.m.

This one is a runner the seller claims. Cleanup, paint, install.

Edit: Looks like a small hole in a frost plug. hoping it's not a serious issue. Need to get my pressure washer back from a friend and get this thing cleaned up.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/5/15 8:49 p.m.

Appears the transmission that came with this new engine is an SM420 with the creeper gear.

Bonus as it is a 4 speed. hopefully I can get it to work in the truck.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/28/15 5:15 p.m.

Small update today. Finally got the cutoff wheels to remove to corroded bumper bolts. Getting close to removing the doghouse to swap engines.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
7/30/15 7:37 p.m.

Did a little cleaning on the new engine. LA Awesome degreaser from Dollar Tree and Pressure washer makes for a dirty evening.

Before:

Currently, more to go, but out of time for the day.

Need to pull the accessories and give it a coat of paint.

Should I go the green of the orginal engine? Keep the Orangish Red to show it's a swap? or just go to Black and paint the valve cover green (while polishing the GMC Lettering) ?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k4np7DTr373Btl03XhvHxJkCXdueb9dGY1kuIZESLUin7ZIn4EaTDlU10O8d7hvX