1 2 3
RichardSIA
RichardSIA New Reader
7/3/16 1:57 a.m.

Not a lot to report but I did buy a pair of aluminum rear uprights that use the Sierra/Merkur hubs. Originally made in So. Africa for a "Lotus 7" kit, I got them in Canada. Going on a British car with an American power-train, poster child for global sourcing?

Still trying to squeeze enough buffaloes to get the throttle bodies.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA New Reader
7/18/16 4:14 a.m.

Closing in on my design. Looks like I will be shortening the aluminum uprights I bought. From 10" bolt to bolt vertically to 8.5". This will also reduce the kick at the top around .75", need to fixture them for better measurements.

Still wrestling with weather or not to use equal length upper and lower arms? Upper mount can be whatever I need, lower is pretty well dictated by the frame width, about 9" long max. I have some pretty good numbers using equal length arms but am not getting the type of camber change I want.

Looks like the lower shock mount will have to be to the top of the outer end of the rear arm link. Not ideal but lets me retain the original upper mount.

Speaking of the arms, my plan is bushes at the inside and rose joints for adjustment on the outer ends. Would actually prefer bushes at both ends but the adjustable type I would need do not appear to be available in a correct size and would be a real chore to make myself.

I may have to complete the upright mods in order to take another run at the upper arm geometry.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
8/19/20 1:16 p.m.

Finally found a decently priced set of IDA-3's and bought them.

So my Inglese Weber IR manifold will be the one I use!

This is a major step toward completion. Pics when they arrive.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
8/26/20 8:23 p.m.

Happiness is....................

a Buick 231 V6 with high compression, a hot cam, and ultra rare* Inglese' twin Weber IDA-3's!

Only took about four years to get this set together, cost much more than the rest of the engine, and will never be for sale so long as I live.

*Less than fifty cast, no idea how many still exist. 

clshore
clshore Reader
8/26/20 9:45 p.m.

I'm guessing you've abandoned all hope of keeping the stock GT6 hoodline?  ;)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 10:27 p.m.

In reply to clshore :

For that intake, I'd cut off the GT6 hood bump and replace it with a Ferrari-esque clear plastic bubble.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
8/26/20 10:59 p.m.

Actually, I know of a guy who managed to get this same set-up under a TR3 bonnet without cutting!

Cannot do a trial fit right away as the body is still off the chassis, but I am cautiously optimistic that it will either fit or that I may be able to blend in subtle modifications.

A clear bubble is not out of the question. wink

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/27/20 12:01 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

6 in a row is the way to go!  Not some antique cast iron block pushrod engine that doesn't make as much power as you are told it does. 
A V6 is too wide, most of them are 90 degrees .   Even the supercharged ones or turbo charged ones unless you spend a lot of money dressing them up  look like stamped tin and cast Iron. 

Buy something that starts out pretty. That all you have to do is clean it up and polish the highlights and it's pretty. 
Plus you won't be accused of "lumping" the car. It's considered an upgrade. 
I'm talking about a 1990's through 2000's Jaguar 4.0 

There are plenty in junkyards with few buyers because they are extremely reliable.  It's a pure Jaguar design that even has an optional Eaton super charger. And some even came with a manual transmission. ( most are over in England) 

All aluminum. 4 valves per cylinder DOHC with up to 370 horsepower. In case you aren't impressed, a Chevy 454 makes 230 horsepower and Ford 460 makes 210 horsepower under the new net horsepower ratings.

If your rear end wont take the torque and power you can  bolt a Jaguar rear end under very very easily and they come as narrow as a 50" track. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
8/27/20 12:43 a.m.

Um, this Buick V6/GT6 build is actually fairly well along. Frame has already been extensively modified for the WC V8 Camaro T5. Engine mounts are done too. No way this is changing direction now!

But since I've been made aware of the Jag 4.0 with supercharger my Jag/Chevy revenge fantasies have taken on a tinge of reality! Seems every time I drove an XKE some jerk would try to buy it from me "Oh man, I wanna put Chevy/Ford V8 in that!". So Jag into Chevy is on my "Bucket list".

I know at least one guy has put a Jag engine into an El Camino, I know it was a six and not an XK. So I guess this is what he used and is a proven conversion. I really have too many projects already, so today I noticed an ugly but very strait El Camino at the local tow yard. If it goes cheap enough it could be added to the "Some day" list.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/27/20 6:16 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

If you still have the original 6, you can probably take some comparison measurements - the bonnet bump is there for a reason and is only as tall/wide as it needs to be to clear the front of the OE engine. But assuming the shorter engine will be farther back in the chassis, you may be ok.  Hell - you might even be able to use a Spitfire bonnet.  That would really confuse people.  Or if you do have to go with the "bubble option" starting with a Spitfire bonnet would probably make for cleaner lines. Showing off those carbs would be cool. 

Frenchy has become famous or completely ignoring the history of a thread and going down his own little rabbit hole of delusion... frown

clshore
clshore Reader
8/27/20 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Sure! You could aim baby spotlights from the top of each windshield pillar, or place LED lights under the hood!
Fit some clear pyrex valve covers, and synch strobe lights to the crank so that the valve train could be 'frozen',
maybe have a 'phase' knob to make the parts appear to slowly move.
Would look great with anodized roller rockers.

The Bedardatron lives!!!

OK, OK, I'm not a hater, just having a little fun. I'd want to show off that setup too.

I actually love where this build is going, I have followed it from the start, glad to see it's still alive and kicking.
I have a 69 GT6+, and my fantasy build featured a Cosworth DFV up front with a Hewland transaxle in the rear.

But my latest GT6 swap idea is RWD Honda L15B7, light, compact, 200+ HP stock, over 350 HP with an upgraded turbo kit.
There's no off-the-shelf RWD solution, but inspired by KMiata, I think an adaptor plate could enable a BMW Getrag 260.

Build on Richard, build on  !

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
WZV9GgMhZdnv6FjU5tYN0zRanu2Xo6XhezVwLEGfVgdCspTFHRJGxHafWZYvNk27