1 2 3
dyintoracejr
dyintoracejr
3/26/21 4:37 p.m.

I'm dyintoracejr, as the name entails im dyintoraces's son, and this is a build thread for our $2000 gti project car. I'm a 16 yer old kid who has recently gotten pretty heavily into cars and wants to go down the route of automotive engineer. This is my first real project car and I'm super excited to work on it.

My dad and I have both wanted to do a car for the $2000 challenge, after looking through craigslist and Facebook marketplace we found a stanced gti for sale for $1500.

s

It had some pretty good bolt ons and was in good condition overall the main problem was that the wheels had already been sold so we would have to bring wheels. One of our friends gave us wheels that would fit onto the adapters, but when we tried they didn't fit at all.

So we had to go get some wheels that would work for the adapter plates. My dad had the idea to go to the junkyard so we could find some wheels, more specifically most Japanese manufacturers spare tires as these would fit the adapters that were on the car since it was made to fit Japanese aftermarket wheels. So after arriving at the junkyard we had to dig through a lot of Hondas, Mazdas , Nissans, and Toyotas trunks to find their spares. With most trunks either missing the spare or full of rain water. But after a while we had amassed a pretty big collection of spares.

We then had to next figure out which pairs where matching and which weren't. After finding two different set off spares that would work we then headed to get the car.

Now we had to mount the spares that would hopefully work onto a stance car.

We ran into a problem which was that since the car was so low and the spares were not to big we had some problems getting the car off the jacks it was on. We fixed this by using some scrap wood that was located nearby to put under the front wheels to give us some more height. After doing all of this we finally got all spares on and we were ready to barley roll down the road.

To anyone who has ever imagined what a stance car would look like on spares today is your lucky day.

Since the car was not the safest really to drive on the road we resorted on back roads to carry us home, which thankfully was a short trip, also becuase there really was no place for the license plate. Now that we were home we inspected the car to see what it was like and to our surprise besides some fender damage from living the stance life the car was in amazing condition.

The next thing we did was get all of the quite interesting items that the last owner left in the car.

After this I worked on getting rid of the also quite interesting stickers that were present on the car like the huge sticker displaying "L U S T" which is not the best look.

Next me and my friend removed the adapters and started to strip the interior.cThe only problems we really ran into were the overhead sunlight controller and seatbelts which both really only needed brute force to pop off.

The next thing we want to tackle on this car is to remove the rear camber shims that the previous owner had. We're wondering how to do this and how much we need to disassemble to take them off? Also if anyone has any cool pics of gti racecar liveries we could use for inspiration?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/26/21 4:40 p.m.

Welcome DTR junior! Highschool class is looking fun this year.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
3/26/21 4:43 p.m.

Oh the bench grinder will get you $20 towards recoup.  Pro tip sell it to your dad and then ask if you can use it.  Nice build and I like the stanced spare tire look.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
3/26/21 5:19 p.m.

Should 'we' move this to 'Builds and Project Cars'?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
3/26/21 5:19 p.m.

also, I look forward to seeing how this turns out

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/26/21 5:37 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Should 'we' move this to 'Builds and Project Cars'?

Yes please smiley

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/26/21 5:39 p.m.

I've been waiting for 1.8t cars to take over the challenge, this should go well. 

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/26/21 6:14 p.m.

Wolfgang would be proud

3/26/21 8:08 p.m.

Proud dad moment here! blush

We're excited to get underway on this project. It will be a steep learning curve for both of us! As DTR jr. noted, the car came with some nice parts, like BC coilovers in the front and swift springs in the rear. It evidently has a "stage 2.5" tune on it, as well as a 3" straight exhaust. We haven't put many miles on it yet, given the suspension we need to sort out, as well as a lack of real wheels!

3/26/21 8:10 p.m.

Here is the first drive video

3/26/21 8:12 p.m.

Here are the camber plates in the rear that need to go. How much disassembly is required to pull these?

3/26/21 8:28 p.m.

Another immediate need is a set of 5x100 wheels. Given that the front fenders are already trashed, we may go all out and do cheap overfenders. For now, some basic 5x100 wheels will work though. Anyone got any laying around?

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
3/26/21 8:36 p.m.

Very cool thread!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/26/21 8:46 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace (Forum Supporter) :

The rear stub axle is bolted to the twist beam with four bolts. You'll have to remove the disc , caliper, hub and maybe the backing plate to get at the bolts. Given the angle it's at I'd carefully look at the bolts, or just get new ones. It looks like a one-piece shim, if it happens to be a stack of them hold onto them. You might end up wanting a bit of camber on the rear to help in the autocross. You can buy thin shims to put in there that allow you to add camber or change the toe.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/26/21 8:46 p.m.
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) said:

Here are the camber plates in the rear that need to go. How much disassembly is required to pull these?

Pull the 4 or so bolts that go through the camber shim (shiny aluminum in the "sandwich"), remove the shiny aluminum bit, reassemble.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
3/26/21 8:57 p.m.

I don't see the picture well, but it looks like you have camber shims + "Great plates"??

The "Great plates" were used to push the wheels back into the wheel opening (towards the rear of the car). Since it's a twist beam axle, when you slam the suspension the wheel moves forward in the wheel well. The plates relocate the stub axle further back. I think you'll need to remove the stub axle to take both off.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/26/21 9:04 p.m.
Rocambolesque said:

I don't see the picture well, but it looks like you have camber shims + "Great plates"??

The "Great plates" were used to push the wheels back into the wheel opening (towards the rear of the car). Since it's a twist beam axle, when you slam the suspension the wheel moves forward in the wheel well. The plates relocate the stub axle further back. I think you'll need to remove the stub axle to take both off.

Interesting. How low do you need to go before you need "great plates". Basically, is it only a stance thing or would normal lowering for handling benefit?

3/26/21 9:15 p.m.

Interesting! I've never heard of such a thing. That's exactly the kind of help we need! 

That might explain why I wore this hole in the back of the right rear wheel well while driving home!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
3/27/21 7:49 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace (Forum Supporter) :

That's good.  Adding weight reduction on the way home from buying.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/27/21 8:06 a.m.
MrJoshua said:

Welcome DTR junior! Highschool class is looking fun this year.

Yes it is!  My daughter is on board.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/27/21 1:35 p.m.

I have a set of 5x100 / 5x114  enkie wheels with some old Hoosiers.  Does $100 sound fair?  I can bring them to the FIRM on April 10th when I go to the autocross. It isn't to far from Gainesville.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/27/21 2:35 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

My sons challenger is 5x100 as well. Between the two of us I bet someone will find a use for them.

3/27/21 2:39 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a set of 5x100 / 5x114  enkie wheels with some old Hoosiers.  Does $100 sound fair?  I can bring them to the FIRM on April 10th when I go to the autocross. It isn't to far from Gainesville.

Yes please! I'll happily come pick them up there!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/27/21 4:24 p.m.

I will dig them out of my wheel stash and grab some better pictures for you.  They are off the parking lot build Fiero. 

3/27/21 4:46 p.m.

Awesome! Thank you!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b6GGmjW2QXeecT3TYFRr5QHIX92XfysNLuPSBnIzFDN72wUL6MagOpQQeGrbmjkZ