kennardconnor20
kennardconnor20
4/16/20 11:31 p.m.

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process of building an SCCA GT1 car?  I am looking to use a Triumph Spitfire as a base (have my own personal reasons for using this platform) with an electric powertrain that based on the current plans would put the power to weight ratio on par or above a GT1 car.  I am more than okay going through the homologation process especially as I am only in the planning stages of the project.  My main concern with running with GT1 will be that this was not a factory based configuration and I do not have the capabilities to get 3000 cars built if that is what is required.  Per the rules and previous discussions with fellow SCCA members it sounds like if I present the car it will be okay and I can still match up the car to be competitive in the class.  I more want to get a general consensus of what I needed to do.  Once I am further along the path I will reach out to the proper SCCA representatives to begin the full homologation process, but don't want to restrict my build to a class that I may ultimately not be able to run.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
4/17/20 4:54 a.m.

Not sure about the rules on homologation, but this guy was able to run a Falcon in GT1 because of some grandfather clause. I'm thinking it should be possible with a Spitfire as well. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/bad-bird-gt-1-heavy-hitting-falcon-vintage-disguis/

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/17/20 6:56 a.m.

Before you go any further, reach out to SCCA. The rules are very specific and if you build something that doesn't fit you may have a car that can't be used with SCCA. In particular, there is currently no provision for EV's.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
4/17/20 8:40 a.m.

A spitfire is a better match for H production or maybe GTL.  You would use the original engine, with some modifications, pistons, cam and some other stuff.

kennardconnor20
kennardconnor20 New Reader
4/17/20 10:45 p.m.

In reply to TED_fiestaHP :

I've got another one currently being built that is going to end up in GTL.  I have got another frame/body though that I have been toying with going absolutely insane on, hence the Electric build.

In reply to Don49 :

Will probably reach out to SCCA then.  I just feel like I am potentially wasting their time when I am not close enough to really lay out a true design.  Probably better safe than sorry though especially with an electric build.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
4/17/20 10:57 p.m.

If your heart is set on EV, do the lemons thing.   They have a big cash prize or something...

GT1Mustang
GT1Mustang New Reader
9/30/21 7:23 p.m.

In reply to rodknock :

That started life as a Riggen's GT1 Mustang. The owner wanted something different and had the Falcon body built. Back in the day the Mustang and Falcon were in the same class. I looked at buying one of the bodies for my GT1 car but couldn't justify the price since I already have the 1995/98 molds to fix anything I break. I think there are 3 running around with the Falcon body now. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/30/21 9:23 p.m.

The SCCA GCR (General Competition Rules)  is on-line at their website.   Its a PDF that is about 1500 pages.  But it is easy to scroll through.

Concentrate on the general build rules about roll cages and such, then go to the specific GT-1 rules and read them.  You might want to print that section out.   

Just saying.

Not aware that electric is legal in GT-1 yet...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oi5pN6oesgmh9YZdQWKu2cLdJQhHLbg3mTWlR3DXSUHLwVZUF7wm6pQMVKDVi6Su