6 7 8
2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2Girlsracing (Steffi) Reader
11/12/21 10:44 p.m.

Gearbox crossmember complete, what a painful job! I hate welding overhead, ran out of gas so had to get some more.

Started on the sump finally now i know where it needs to go, getting closer to x-mas it is prime rehearsal / performance season for my daughter who is a dancer so balancing that at the moment. Don't they know i need to have my race car ready for next year???

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/28/23 7:29 a.m.

I'm back! 2022 was not s good year, medical issues forced me into an early retirement mutually agreed to by the boss and myself. He didn't like calling ambulances for me and I needed some time to recover, re-asses my priorities and adjust to my disabilities. 
so after 9-10 months my old work realised that i know more about their business than them and  I got a phone call asking me to come back for as many hours a week as i felt like working. 

With life now getting back  to pseudo normal I have found motivation to open the garage and dust off some projects. I may not be able to race but some of my family can and it's all worth more money the closer to complete they are if the worst happens. 
Hopefully putting it up here will keep me semi accountable and keep me motivated to get stuff done. Watching the grassroots channel on YouTube has been a highlight of my time for the last year along with team ziptie and the pink panther!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
2/28/23 9:34 a.m.

Good to see you back and feeling a bit better.  I'm excited to see what my favorite Aussie mums are up to!

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/28/23 9:53 a.m.

Hope your health situation is stable.  Stay motivated, it will help with your overall outlook.  As TVR Scott mentioned, looking forward to updates.

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
3/2/23 10:12 a.m.

Hey Steffi, I'm soo glad to see you back around these parts!  I'm also so sorry that 2022 was so rough. We're here to cheerlead!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
3/5/23 5:53 a.m.

started on mounting the wing on the Rx8, most events we do are relatively low speed so comically oversize aero to get any benefits. I'm thinking the blade wing and a front splitter to start with and we'll develop from there. Made some little brackets to rivet to the bootlid and I'll add some stays to the backside. Start with an angle that looks right and work from there. Eventually I'll weld up the existing holes from the factory wing and badges. Got no welding gas at the moment so we'll get there when I get more.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
4/2/23 4:35 a.m.

wing mounted with first brackets, needs some stays but looking ok for a start. I'll run and see how it goes.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
4/2/23 6:37 a.m.

Also picked up sn e36 beemer steering rack for the Rx8 as per Wisefab spec so on with making crossmember mods and getting that fitted.. i could run the stock steering rack maybe but if and when it gets an ls it'll be no bueno anyhow and the extra lock will be nice on track. Have a bad habit of getting sideways 

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
4/2/23 12:20 p.m.

That wing looks a lot like what the C Prepared Auto Cross cars use. 

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
5/8/23 2:09 a.m.

Bumpity?

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
5/12/23 8:36 p.m.

Hi! Sorry, been slack and had a lot going on. Moved the Barina today so I could get into the garage properly, doing a cash job for my boss. 
Really need to clean it up and repaint/wrap it before it goes back on track.

And in other  news we have finally got a trailer for a good price, needs some work but saves me a lot of money. Catch is its 700km's away so roadtrip next week. Came from a friend of a friend who's an ex off road buggy guy so ramps are a bit short for a road car.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
5/31/23 5:35 a.m.

Update time! Trailer home safe and sound, used the father in laws Hilux which performed beautifully, need to take it back in a week or so but in the mean time I needed to get the 80 back up to speed. New radiator, clutch slave and gas struts front and rear for the bonnet and rear hatch/door thingie, I wasn't loving the head pats i kept getting! 
with all that installed and both batteries charged she's much happier and Bessie rides again! 
took a grinder to the various mesh and other tacked on rubbish to clean up the trailer while my partner paint stripped the ugly yellow , couple of big days and we're getting somewhere. Need to cut off the draw bar and rebuild but to do that I need to pick up steel in the other trailer which needs tk be emptied which i need Bessie for and well you get the picture. It's a process. Back to something interesting soon I promise!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
6/2/23 8:53 p.m.

And just like that the drawbar is gone. Picked up a 3000lb winch, jockey wheel and new hitch for Bessie so everything is coming up Millhouse.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
6/12/23 5:51 p.m.

progress from the weekend, drawbar done. New decking picked up. Just waiting on lights to arrive and good to go.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
6/13/23 5:33 a.m.

test fitting deck, it's come a long way from when we picked it up!

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
6/13/23 6:24 a.m.

Nice improvements. Is that some kind of surge brake there at the hitch?

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
6/13/23 12:55 p.m.

Looks great!!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
6/14/23 8:14 a.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

Nice improvements. Is that some kind of surge brake there at the hitch?

Hi Dr Mike!

it has a hydraulic disk brake setup on the front axle that works by basically pushing against the tow ball, as the trailer catches up it applies the brakes. Hope that makes sense. 

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
6/14/23 8:18 a.m.

Thankyou everybody for playing along at home, there's a lot going on in the background. Need to get the trailer finished and then decide how far we're going with the Barina  modifications before next year.  And then back to the other cars......

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
9/17/23 11:37 p.m.

Update time, big to do list to get through before we go back next year, starting with aero mods but firstly we need to get rid of the spare wheel well.

you can see where the splitter is going, comes out at 900mm between the rails. At this point the fuel tank had to come out anyway so just received it's replacement 

haven't decided if it's going in the hatch area inside the car or back under the floor where the old one was, also replacing all the factory brake lines at the same time and need to work out the exhaust routing, thinking side exit through the quarter panel at this stage. Lets me tuck it up into spare real estate from the tank and keeps it clear for the flat floor

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
10/3/23 1:24 p.m.

I love the addition of the ground effects.  Very no-nonsense race-car.

Are you moving to a different class that allows the aero, or building up to the existing limits?

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland Reader
11/21/23 4:20 p.m.

Another hillclimb racer! I read through the entire thread, lots of awesome here. Just wishing you well, and hoping you're finding the time and energy for all your projects. I know how hard that can be.

6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EYuOvaYQq4r9zGePAnuUrfKbQ5RBGWuBUDxq2kEekbIwPvEmOmlUc8a16AWfYyup