2 3 4 5
patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
3/19/12 8:15 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote: Looks fantastic! Great job. I was SERIOUSLY thinking of doing an LS swap on my P71 instead of the 5.4 swap I did. Really, like on the fence, about to go either way. Did some google searches to see if anyone had done it too. LOL Don't think I found anything and had a fellow GRMer talk me through the 5.4 swap.

thanks guys.

i have seen a couple vics with 6.0 lsx engines in them.

i'm getting an occasional p0172/p0175 rich on bank 1/2 code otherwise all is just right with the world. i hope to sell my 68 pickup to get the $ i need to buy hptuners so i can fix the rich condition, change the speedo to run true(it's off 4 at 45mph), eliminate the rear o2's so i can sell the simulators, and change up the torque management/shift points. i don't want to take it to some shop to tune when they'll charge me half to all of what the program/cable/interface costs when i can just buy it myself and learn.

Canute
Canute Reader
3/20/12 11:53 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote:
Rufledt wrote: I wonder if that new 5.0 will fit in there...
Yes, yes it will. AND it's almost a full 200 lbs lighter than the 4.6 SOHC and 300 lighter than the DOHC.

Shocking. The mod 4.6s weigh that much? I'm building an aluminum block SBF. I expect the long block to be 250.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
3/21/12 8:56 a.m.

Im glad to see that the beast is still alive and thriving, and the underhood work looks great.

when you get a chance, needs moar thurd peddle

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
3/21/12 10:34 a.m.
Canute wrote:
Conquest351 wrote:
Rufledt wrote: I wonder if that new 5.0 will fit in there...
Yes, yes it will. AND it's almost a full 200 lbs lighter than the 4.6 SOHC and 300 lighter than the DOHC.
Shocking. The mod 4.6s weigh that much? I'm building an aluminum block SBF. I expect the long block to be 250.

Shipping weight on the Coyote is 440 lbs. From what I remember from an old Motorsport book, the 4.6 Iron block SOHC was right around the 600lb mark and the DOHC was closer to 700 lbs. Someone here told me I was way wrong, and the weights were closer to the 500-550 lb mark. Either way, the 5.0 Coyote makes more power out of the box than either of those engines in factory NA or boosted configurations and is at least 100 lbs lighter.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf New Reader
3/21/12 10:46 a.m.

B-body <3

Had a '91 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon with some mods and loved it. Always wanted to do another with an LS + T56 as a hauler/DD.

Nice work and good score!

There's a clean looking already built LT1+T56 Roady wagon on CL that I was drooling over recently... http://ottumwa.craigslist.org/cto/2905738147.html

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
3/21/12 1:19 p.m.

that wagon is beautiful.

i have never had a 91-92 olds wagon. i have had 91, 92, and 94 caprice wagons and a 91 roadmonster wagon. i like the olds, it's different. i also like when guys put the roadmonster sedan nose on the wagon to make it look more like a buick.

Canute
Canute Reader
3/21/12 7:30 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: Either way, the 5.0 Coyote makes more power out of the box than either of those engines in factory NA or boosted configurations and is at least 100 lbs lighter.

About time they started getting it right. It's still a massive motor.

Canute
Canute Reader
3/21/12 11:47 p.m.

Some guys out here running NASA American Iron, I believe, swapped out their mod motors in their 1999-2004 Mustangs for LSx-en. The engine and the 3500 pound weight of the 2005+ are probably the two main reasons I jumped ship and bought a 2008 C6 Corvette, which is 3200 and knocked out 400 at the wheels two weeks after I bought it. Five to six hundred sounds about right.

wrek496
wrek496 New Reader
3/22/12 4:23 a.m.

So cool! Reminds me of driving a '95 or so Caprice with the Corvette LT1 as a cab years ago. Had to feather the gas on wet roads. That was a lot of engine for a taxi!

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
4/6/12 7:19 p.m.

update:

yesterday i installed extended tubular rear trailing arms from PMT fabrication. they center the tires in the rear wheelwell, and are awesome otherwise. lowers are 1.5x2 rectangle tube, uppers are 1.5x.120 DOM.

today i bought a couple universals so i can install my aluminum driveshaft tomorrow. also installed a z28 analog gauge cluster. now i have a tach and do not have to watch the goofy digital speedo.

changing odometer from 135k to 202k to match car

provided the state of ohio does not screw up my collector vehicle license plate application, i should make it to the first auto-x the first weekend in may with Gimp and ApexCarver et.al. at cumberland maryland.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
4/6/12 7:45 p.m.

Hot Damn! You will have a ton of fun at CBE.

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
7/14/12 2:39 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Hot Damn! You will have a ton of fun at CBE.

so here we are 3 months later. i JUST got my plates yesterday. not even plates, just a paper for the window that says they are making my plates.

i applied and had a letter from GM with the production numbers. apparently the SS was not made in limited enough numbers to qualify, so a month later i got a paper back saying i was denied and given criteria to meet. namely submit $5000 in receipts for mods/upgrades or i didn't get my plates. so i got my stuff together and sent it in. exactly 4 weeks later i got a reply that i had been approved and needed to send in my $. then once they had my money it took them 3.5 weeks to process my stuff and get my registration to me.

so i can drive the car right now. the derale fan control relays were both garbage. both broke internally so that the hot out terminal did not make connection. so i pulled that all apart and tested the fans, wiring, etc... to find that they worked great as soon as i plugged a USA made hella relay in and tossed the chinese junk that came with the kit.

today i washed the heck out of the outside, under the hood, and took care of the nasty ugly intake. it was very clean when i got it, but sat in the garage and had cats walking on it. and i could not get the tan dirt stains off with anything. so i took my go-to spray on bedliner and masked the thing off and shot a very thin coat on and baked it by running the car for a while... fans work great, intake looks great, car is going to be cleaned out inside as soon as i'm done with the internets.

now i am ready to hit the track....and install the bottle.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
7/14/12 9:09 p.m.

Giggity . . .

Did you turn the water neck to use the LS6 intake?

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the truck intake (no fitment issues for my application) or mine or move the LS6 intake.

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
7/14/12 9:27 p.m.

i put the engine together in 2007. that year they redesigned the truck water pump outlet. at the time it was only available from GM and my uncle was at a dealer so i had him order me one. the 07+ truck water outlet clears the throttle body with the car intake. barely, but it does.

Wally
Wally UltimaDork
7/14/12 11:56 p.m.
patgizz wrote: so here we are 3 months later. i JUST got my plates yesterday. not even plates, just a paper for the window that says they are making my plates.

Did they run out of inmates?

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
7/25/12 8:25 p.m.

got sick of looking at the rough clearcoat on the wheels so i painted them with my favorite product - bedliner in a spray can.

i've got probably 500 miles on the swap and it's still a blast to drive. next up is to find my air dam and put it on. i forget where i put all the pieces.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
7/25/12 9:13 p.m.

Those actually look pretty good in black. Much better than chrome, which I swear all of the ones on eBay are.

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
7/27/12 6:08 p.m.

bump for move to build thread area

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
5/19/17 7:28 a.m.

So since the last update i put a few thousand miles on the Impala in a few summers. Then we had a really harsh winter in 2015 with several days below -15, which proved my coolant wasn't quite 50/50. Went to start it and found freeze plug on ground in front on passenger side head. Put new plug in, refilled, massive overheating.

At that point i was just defeated. So i let it sit, sit, and sit more. I bought head gaskets, then got a set of ls6 heads/cam. Monday I finally got head bolts and decided it was time to see if the block is berked. I got my answer

photo 4534CB4E-736D-4600-BF12-B2AAE473A39F_zpseotpvorb.jpg

So I'm needing an engine. Found an f body LS1 ready to go on the stand that I'm calling on today that will drop right in without doing more than swapping to the truck balancer and water pump so my accessories work. I just want it done so i can drive it at this point. Sick of yard art, i'm on a mission.

The 5.3 has about 46k on it now so i plan to get a new block($299) and salvage the rotating assembly and ancillaries for something else

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/19/17 7:30 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Mission Impalable?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/19/17 7:30 a.m.

If you need anything from down south, let me know. Theres a few of these in every set of projects work sends me to.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/19/17 7:36 a.m.
patgizz wrote: I plan to get a new block($299) and salvage the rotating assembly and ancillaries for something else

LS Powered Devin on the horizon?

I keed, I keed. Sucks to hear that the block took a dump. However, Im glad to hear that it didnt put you off, and that you have a plan of attack!

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/19/17 7:57 a.m.

patgizz Sorry bout the bullet. While you're doing open heart check these cats out https://threepedals.com/ They created an entire business by putting t56's in 94-96 impalas. They also have a DIY kit for those so inclined. following along here boss

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
5/19/17 7:59 a.m.

Guy with the ls1(2001) is working overtime today and until 2:30 tomorrow. Planning to be there when he gets home tomorrow and grab it. Just ordered balancer puller. Not ordering an installer tool because it's $19 for a piece of threaded rod, a nut, and a couple washers. I'll source that locally.

I think it needs swapped to the truck accessories, the ls6 fuel rail on the car instead of the camaro one, my adapter mounts and it'll drop in. Same pan i used so don't need to change that.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/19/17 8:20 a.m.

Love that '54 Belair and there's a build on it too? Too early for walleye????

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tDAS4OwsNV1LIcPSXyOU6rUFfGhNoOu1IZOiiyYbBpQTkxKw0YvQSulX8nwme8w4