5 6 7
Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
3/27/18 7:16 p.m.

Beautiful! yes

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
3/28/18 10:29 a.m.

I went ahead and reactivated my dormant business account at NIC Prismatic, which is the big supplier of powder and ceramic coating materials. We might as well turn it up another notch.

I made a little collage picture to show the subtle difference between the original worn finish, bare metal, and finally powdercoated.

It's tedious to fuss over these small details but they all add up to a sanitary big picture.

Much more to come.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
3/29/18 8:23 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:
Gunchsta said:

That radio mount looks super sanitary. I think the green button alpine sounds like a good 'ultimate' solution... when it arrives. Nice to not be tune-less in the interim.  

Thanks for always keeping this thread alive. Sometimes it seems like I can hear crickets when I open this thread.

You're welcome! Right now this is THE thread on GRM for me. No offense intended to all of the other amazing build threads this one just resonates with me presently. It's like the nicer, more talented, better executed, big brother to what I'm currently playing with. It's great motivation! 

All of the new work looks great, and I'm excited to see what this new fancier powder is. 

I'm also glad to read that you're waiting on a header (sucks that they're on backorder). The engine bay is so pretty now that stock manifold & heat shield just look out of place. A header will fill that void nicely. To piggyback/elaborate on the gauge comment, I find myself happier with LESS gauges. In my nova I had mechanical oil & water temp gauges and I watched them to the point of distraction. If I have something with a stock cluster and idiot lights OR factory gauges I find myself much happier. The little variances (that are totally acceptable) always freaked me out on my aftermarket mechanical gauges. 

Scott Hatfield
Scott Hatfield Dork
3/29/18 8:39 a.m.

You’re a sick man, Ed. 

Great work! Makes me miss my old Miata. 

Opti
Opti HalfDork
5/2/18 3:14 p.m.

Im so jelly. Im over here trying to experiment with crappy paint and tractor hardener shot out of a airless sprayer. Id be happy if my finished suspension pieces looked like your worn original finish.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
3/31/19 11:38 a.m.

The car has been increasingly hard to start. I figured out that if I bumped the key a couple of times to double cycle the fuel pump that it would start okay. Then it finally got to where it would start/die several times before finally catching and idling.

So, I threw a fuel pressure gauge on it and deadheaded the pump and saw 20psi. As soon as the pump quit running it would plummet back to zero psi.

So, Rockauto.

Yay Texas cars.

The sock had fallen off of the pump and was laying in the bottom of the tank.

The hose was looking pretty shady.

It's all back together now and starting happily again. I guess I bought it a few more days reprieve from the junkyard.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/31/19 11:47 a.m.

Even the parts of your car that you haven't cleaned are clean!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/1/19 9:29 a.m.

It looks great, and I'm a little envious of that rolling detail/cleaning cart I think I see up by the pickup. I might need to find space for something like that. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/1/19 9:50 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Even the parts of your car that you haven't cleaned are clean!

I think the pictures flatter the car more than reality. I did clean everything before I reassembled though. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/1/19 9:52 a.m.
Gunchsta said:

It looks great, and I'm a little envious of that rolling detail/cleaning cart I think I see up by the pickup. I might need to find space for something like that. 

It is an old Harbor Freight cart that holds all my cleaning supplies. I figure I am more likely to clean stuff if it's easy and convenient. If my stuff was strewn all over the place I probably wouldn't bother with cleaning near as much.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/1/19 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

A saying around my household is "give me convenience or give me death!" which is said mostly in-jest but there's some truth to it. If it's easy to do it's more likely it will happen. 

The little rolling cart just looks so official. I love it. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
4/1/19 11:17 a.m.

there's something deeply satisfying about the way you're tackling all the nuts and bolts.  i love seeing a car that's typically used and abused get a meticulous level of craftsmanship and thought put into all the updates.  it really feels like we get to see a brand new...old...miata again.  keep on keepin' on man.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/18/19 1:21 p.m.

Today I completely removed the soft top and frame and put the hardtop onto the car. Tomorrow I have an appointment for window tint. I'm going to daily drive this thing for a while.

Obligatory grocery store parking lot picture to show off the dapper look with the hardtop.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/18/19 1:22 p.m.
ScottyB said:

there's something deeply satisfying about the way you're tackling all the nuts and bolts.  i love seeing a car that's typically used and abused get a meticulous level of craftsmanship and thought put into all the updates.  it really feels like we get to see a brand new...old...miata again.  keep on keepin' on man.

Thank you for the nice compliment. I sure enjoy doing this stuff.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/18/19 1:25 p.m.

35 on the wundows and 55 on the windshield was perfect on mine.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/18/19 5:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

35 on the wundows and 55 on the windshield was perfect on mine.

I don't mind stretching rules, but Texas is a full no-go on windshield tint. I'll wind up going 35 on the sides and 5 on the back.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
4/18/19 5:37 p.m.

I see that you've switched wheels again. Hard to go wrong with RPF1s, they look great.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/18/19 6:36 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

I see that you've switched wheels again. Hard to go wrong with RPF1s, they look great.

I've actually sold all the other wheels. It's Enkeis from here on out.

I am commenting because I miss you already Cousin Eddie. Be well.

Also, I want to pore over this thread.

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e9IAPp09q9pL95ZfrMTYhsOjFVlYT9Y7TK5mjRO1rlHAUZBoA5J5Q3R9r6H4mAyd