1 2 3
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:21 p.m.

And new vinyl plank flooring. This stuff is the bees knees for this sort of thing. It's waterproof. Flexes. Goes over irregular sub-floors. And it's click-lock, so it's stupid easy to work with, even for me.  Big fan for this sort of work. Plus it was like $60 for enough to do the whole floor.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:23 p.m.

Another flooring shot, partially trimmed in. It's hard to get the lines straight, because absolutely NOTHING is straight or square in these things.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:25 p.m.

Painted the bottom half red, also with Rustoleum enamel. I probably don't have $100 in the paint job. It's not a great paint job, but it's a great $100 paint job.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:27 p.m.

Test fitting a new countertop made from 3/4 maple. Normally I should not be trusted with anything that was once a tree, but I was pretty happy with how it eventually came out.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:31 p.m.

I also had to figure out AC.  A prior owner had cut a hole in the bottom and two 4" round holes in the front for some reason. Maybe their own ill-fated AC attempt.  So I used that as a starting point.

I knew it wouldn't be enough ventilation, so I added a heat-activated fan to one of the 4" holes (you can kinda see it above), and I knew I wouldn't have enough ventilation around if the AC sat directly on the floor, so I built some skids to help elevate it. Then I used cut-down rigid foam insulation to build a "wall" between the intake and exhaust sides of the AC. Cool air comes in through the bottom and is then sucked out through the 4" holes.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:34 p.m.

I also used a LOT of aluminum tape. But once it was done, it fit under the front couch like it belonged there. It still needed trimming out in this pic, but it works very well.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:37 p.m.

I made a backsplash with lightweight press-and-stick "tiles" mounted on a spare sheet of plexi I had laying around. That let me line them up straight, gives them a better surface to stick to than the "elephant skin" and helps hide the 12V wiring going to the upper cabinets.

You can also see the finished countertop, painted white. My attempt to stain didn't go that well, so white it is. I made new cabinet doors from 1/2" birch ply and painted them white, too.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:39 p.m.

New hubcaps -- and a good shot of that fiberglass damage I mentioned earlier that I'll still need to fix. Probably next year.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:40 p.m.

It doesn't look like much, but the new filler here feeds into a new water tank, which connects to a new water pump, which connects to the new faucet. All the plumbing is new. There just isn't much of it.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:41 p.m.

I replaced all the lights with new LEDs. Yeah, I need to paint that bumper still.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:43 p.m.

I had to make a new drawer, too. So that was a thing. It's starting to look like I can be trusted with a saw, which is a major development.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:45 p.m.

I under-mount a new, extra-deep bar sink. You can also see where my hole-saw failed me, and the new foam for the cushions.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:49 p.m.

the sink and countertop finally actually fitted, hidden by sink cover I made. The brace you see there is structural. Bolers and Scamps and their cousins use them to hold the upper cabinets high and keep the "egg" round instead of sinking and going oval. Mine was missing the brace, so I jacked up the cabinets -- harbor frieght floor jack to the rescue -- and put in new bracing made from some poplar 1x1s and Ikea pegboard.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/14/19 3:53 p.m.

Man, this thing is awesome! Great work so far. 

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:53 p.m.

Here's the corner of the new not-great table top I made. I'm going to need to re-do that. You can also see the new cabinet door, and the curtains and pillows my wife contributed.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 3:55 p.m.

And that pretty much brings us up to date. Over the late summer and fall life intervened and I couldn't do anything with it, but this week we took the cushions to the upholstery shop, so hopefully we'll be finishing it up in time for camping in the spring.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/14/19 4:05 p.m.

I'll say it again. Awesome!

Thanks. Now you have to keep us up to date. 

karplus2
karplus2 New Reader
12/14/19 4:18 p.m.

Awesome work!

I never should have sold my Scamp as I am now in the market for a light weight travel trailer. Back when I sold it I knew they had a cult following but didn't know how awesome they really are.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
12/14/19 4:23 p.m.

I've really enjoyed having it so far. It's like restoring a car, house and boat all at once. And there are no really big jobs. It's all small, cheap and doesn't take long. I completely rewired the 110v circuits in an afternoon!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/14/19 4:35 p.m.

Oh wow, I love it. And have major guilt. Lots has happened on the Shasta--I will find some time over Christmas and update.

Margie

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
12/14/19 6:05 p.m.

Great work! These little egg campers are neat. 

Rons
Rons Reader
12/14/19 6:18 p.m.

Interestingly there was a rarer, larger, less cute 17' version that could be had with a shower and toilet.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
12/14/19 8:16 p.m.

What are you plans to keep the cabinets and drawers closed while towing? There are simple catches that do the job and release easily.

SWMBO has given me the nod of approval for a small enough camper that my 16 Tacoma can tow. The Tacoma is rated to tow 6600 lbs but know I don't want to push that. Thought about these as I've rented them when we were younger. But nowadays both of us prefer something more self-contained. Like a bathroom with shower. Getting spoiled in my old age. Spent too many years roughing it when young.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/14/19 9:10 p.m.

This is an excellent transformation. I really like the backsplash.

Could the 4" holes have been for a heater? We have a Propex that I put in the Vanagon that uses inlet and outlets about that size.

I am assuming that the sink is glued on, and those little screws with washers are just for alignment? Because I'm a little worried about it ripping off the bottom of the counter when it's full of dishes and water. I mean, not a lot of dishes and water, but those are not big screws.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/14/19 9:18 p.m.

In reply to Tim Baxter :

REALLY cool.  Doc got me thinking about them a few years ago, and you just keep that going for me.  Still have no real idea how to keep my eyes open for a good project like that.  

So how common is it to find a fiberglass shell trailer like that with really bad fiberglass?  Other than cosmetics, they seem like they are pretty darned robust.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1yECI65QqE3jO1Ks13uqaG0TsHiE9ShjPqmmJJAFmAvvWUdRf7yHKnhWbkU6mj7J