1 2
untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/13/18 7:32 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

These came in black? I thought the  Mazdaspeed Protégés only came in that Metallic Baby E36 M3 Orange color. 

The 03's were black mica or spicy orange. 

The 03.5's were yellow, blue, silver or titanium gray.

Honestly I like all the colors except yellow. Personally, an 03 painted in titanium gray would be the best combo in my opinion. But I like the 03 front bumper and wing styling better than the 03.5 and gray is my favorite color for any car.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/13/18 7:40 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

They also came in blue and silver.  The blue looks like a WRX rip-off shade of blue.  And yellow, apparently.

Here's the other thread.  I don't know how it turned out;

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/03-mazdaspeed-protege-build/72492/page1/

EDIT:  Kind of went nowhere-ish?

I read through that thread, he definitely went a different direction than what I'm planning. I'm hoping to keep it as stock as possible. I'm not a purist or anything, I just think this car is unique and there are already plenty of modified examples out there, either well done or hacked. This also doesn't seem like the best platform to try to build for higher horsepower, considering the shortcomings of both the engine and the transmission. 

It's strange how people connect with different cars. I really like my little DD 1.6 Protege LX, even if it's a boring, bland, automatic sedan. If it died tomorrow I would find another to replace it. I'm hoping the MSP is all the things I like about my DD Protege in a somewhat sporty and unique version. I don't intend for it to be a daily driver but just a fun car to drive on nice days. I had an NB Miata and I did enjoy it but I never connected with it. Maybe the MSP will be my answer.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/13/18 8:23 p.m.

If its not i may know a guy. 

I miss my p5......

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/13/18 8:51 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

If its not i may know a guy. 

I miss my p5......

I'll keep you in mind but I've already got 2 local guys in front of you lol. One of them knows what I paid and has already offered me double, the wife was surprised I didn't take his offer. The other is a buddy that rode with me to get the MSP, he jokingly tried to talk me out of buying it so he could buy it.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/25/18 8:09 a.m.

Spent a couple hours yesterday working on the MSP. Got the intake manifold and the head off. Cylinder walls looked better than I expected them to, was expecting more rust considering it's been sitting at least a couple years. 

The plan is to remove the engine and transmission, then tear down the engine to inspect the bottom end. While the engine is out I'm going to completely remove the front and rear subframes. There is some surface rust underneath that I want to take care of. Suspension will get a complete refresh front to back. Engine bay will be painted and entire car will be repainted. Want to give this car a full "restoration" with Cousin_Eddie attention to detail.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
11/25/18 8:47 a.m.

Hell yes !

BeardedOne
BeardedOne New Reader
11/25/18 5:01 p.m.

I was looking forward to this build no matter what direction it went. But I’m all in for a Cousin_Eddie attention to detail build! Looking forward to updates.  

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/25/18 8:39 p.m.

Progress will probably be slow on the MSP. Have to finish my rock crawler project first. 

It's a custom tube chassis with a Samurai firewall and hood. My buddy and I have done all the work ourselves and it's almost ready to leave his shop and come back home.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pdHdTH5kajkjHi1RTr680s6SBtS5l3bkCyL0ypqguoCbGzJaB4nW6HQWqSdMEBBQ