We like who you are at the core!  

Another sample: 

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-0907-1957-chevy-210/

This. Please. Im begging. Its PERFECT .

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/20/18 9:52 a.m.
Patrick said:

I don’t need trophies.  I’m not going to try and win an editorial exercise at the cost of missing my kids’ childhood.  I’d rather have fun with them than sweat concours points and be a miserable jerk.  

This is a great statement.  Yes I read it all, but this point is all too important.  I try to enjoy myself too, but honestly the best thing is when one of my kids comes out to the garage to help or just wants to go for a ride in one of my cars and spend time with dad.

I may print this out and stick it in my challenge car book.  I already know I will likely win nothing.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/20/18 2:18 p.m.

Thank you Anthony, it took me a couple years to figure it out but fortunately I did most of the Datsun build after bedtime or with one of them helping.

One bin has the dog dish caps and the car has the factory wheels.  I probably will see if one of the aftermarkets has a factory style wheel in a 15x8 to run the dog dish caps.  It’s perfect like that, I don’t want shiny or fancy wheels.

i already have front disc brakes that are $89 from being a bolt on.  I’m back and forth on powerplant but that’s easy stuff.  I want to preserve as much as possible and cut nothing.  I’ll need to find a compatible gigantic front sway bar.  

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
12/20/18 2:26 p.m.

Congrats buddy.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/20/18 2:29 p.m.

Look at second gen blazer. Huge bars, and readily adaptable. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/20/18 2:35 p.m.

Well worth the wait.

Build what makes you happy, my friend.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/20/18 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Yeah i had those, not many 2wd left up here since there were so few to begin with.  I think i have a 1.31” 3rd gen z28 bar in dad’s barn still.  I have 7/8 ws6 2nd gen trans am rear bar as well as a 1” gm truck rear bar, one of those will work.  I find it laughable that people use mustang 2/pinto bits in these because those kits always make geometric compromises and the car already has ifs.  I think first things ordered will be a gas tank and master cylinder, from there everything is easy.  I’m used to reinventing the wheel, I’m looking forward to a tame build this summer.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/20/18 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I’m happy for you, and respect the family decisions you’ve made. (I’ve done the same)

Glad I could contribute in my own little way. Our deal brought us both a little closer to the classic American iron we wanted!

Congrats!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/20/18 3:45 p.m.

BTW, I doubled checked the production numbers just for fun...

My little piece of iron had only 14,163 units built. wink

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/20/18 8:05 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Suggest you keep it I6.

This I6:

2006 LL8 (Vortec 4200) engine in 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer.jpg

#LL8Lyfe

Patrick, this is an exceptional NE Ohio score ...major congrats!!!  VCH speaks the truth..what with 'V8KID' doing the turbo leg work on the 'LARK; I sense a trend here. Sell 'DARTH'(wish I could facilitate)....funnel the funds to ???? name yet??? and let the fun begin!!!

Merry Christmas my man!!!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/20/18 8:21 p.m.

The awful,  awful things I would do to that car. devil

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/20/18 8:46 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Oh i’m sure some old guy and the entire hamb would groan if i modernize the drivetrain.  I mean, I’ve got an ls1 swapped impala sitting here that I don’t want anymore.

gas tanks are less than $80 shipped, i could cut the top off and build baffles and weld it all back together with a factory drop in pump/sending unit for under $200.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/21/18 1:24 p.m.

This is finally settling in.  I showed my dad and he asked me what junk i was getting rid of, typical dad reply.  I unloaded the first truckload today.  The radiator isn’t the right one, it says Chrysler on top, but i had to take it anyway because Brittany is getting a dumpster in February and tossing everything I tell her isn’t worth selling.

i’ve been trolling ebay and Craigslist, looks like a new front bumper isn’t much more than people think their used one with dings and peeling chrome is worth.  Fiberglass is $175 for all 5 pieces and some chrome paint away from looking presentable 

i’m hoping the grill itself is somewhere, but since the bar and bumper were stolen i assume the rest of the grill probably was too.

from what i gather, when new this wasn’t a rare color but of all the cars that have survived most seem to have been repainted to red or black along the way.  So now it’s unique to have this combo survive.  On the 26th at 10:30 my buddy with the rollback is meeting us to get it out of hibernation and home,  then i’ll have to make a cocoon around it for winter.  

Carli and I were talking a little bit ago, and she greenlit the garage/shop expansion for spring.  So i’m going to have to do my drawings and get my permit here shortly.  I will definitely be renting one of those aerial forklifts because i just did a bunch of trusses entirely by hand and it sucks.  Once done I’ll have room for lifts, racks for parts, and all the cars can be inside at the same time.  Provided the county gives me a permit, that is.  

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
12/21/18 1:42 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7i-IYT1A3

Back when dream car garage had dale earnhardt with his i6 57 chevy

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy Reader
12/21/18 7:27 p.m.

I’m thinking something like an Icon Derelict build, but I like to think all sorts of things I have no business thinking of...

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
12/21/18 7:39 p.m.

left field engie idea and complete sacrilege. what about a Ford Barra or a 1/2j? or since its grm a superchargered Jag I6 from the XJR

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/21/18 7:43 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Hmm... 1/2JZ.  1.5l 3 cylinder engine based off of 2JZ geometry.  Interesting!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
12/21/18 9:11 p.m.
Appleseed said:

outasite
outasite HalfDork
12/22/18 8:08 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I had one that looked just like this one back in 1968 until a young GI driving his new Fairlane 2 dr hardtop turned in front of me.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/22/18 9:01 p.m.

I was content to let the thread sink but you guys...

the wait is killing me.  I want it here NOW

if i can sell my impala in the spring as a roller for enough to cover the bolt in 9” housing/axles, a gas tank and a radiator i’d  be happy.  That’s about $900.  I think that’s fair for a no rust southern 95 impala ss with no drivetrain.  I paid 1200 for it 7 years ago as a roller.

so for now i research and plan how to spend money next year.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/26/18 12:37 p.m.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/26/18 12:38 p.m.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
12/26/18 12:54 p.m.

I definitely love the color and patina. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork