1 2
AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/17/19 8:21 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to AAZCD :

Unless you’re into underhood murals, ...

Wow, I didn't even know that was a Thing. Do chicks dig it?

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/17/19 8:23 a.m.
barefootskater said:

Manual valve body and zero berkeleys given. Rock it like it’s stolen,  because at some point it probably was. Party hard and when you’re tired of it dump it like the coked out whore it is. If you can knowingly treat it like a $500 camaro you’ll have fun. The only other road available involves chains and murals and Florida. That way lies ... less fun. Do it. 

This sounds like the best strategy IF I do go for it. Not "Florida"... I have memories involving Florida, the 90s, and an ex-wife. Lets avoid that path.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/17/19 8:30 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

...but they suck for getting in, getting out, and seeing out.  ...

If only I had a comfortable 60s GM body I could graft onto it.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/17/19 8:34 a.m.

From the last time I was in a C4, the issue I remember with entry is the low roof line combined with the fact that you're actually climbing over the frame rail. Entry was just a matter of falling in. Exit was more interesting.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
8/17/19 8:43 a.m.

I had a mint ‘94 C4 with a manual, the Z07 track suspension and factory square wheel/tire setup, and 60k original miles.  I had installed all new brakes and wheel bearings.  I tracked it a couple of times and it was fun, neutral car.  I had it for sale forever and couldn’t get more than $6000.

I bought a road race oil pan, pickup and gasket for it that I never installed.  If you get the C4, I’ll make you a great deal on it.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/17/19 8:46 a.m.

As always, lots of great responses and advice to feed the addiction.

ValourUnbound said:

For those interested, the tally is currently:

• 8 - Yes
  • 4 - No
  • 4 - Maybe
  • 2 - Kart

I think most of the "Yes" votes are standing by with popcorn rather than really thinking it's a great idea.

Here's what I'm thinking: Probobly not trading it for one of my (4) daily-driver Boxsters or Challenge Boxster, but offering a project car that would be great for an LS swap, adding in some stuff if needed to balance the value/condition. It's not running, could come with a 5 or 6 speed transmission and with or without: a top, Audi V8 engine, interior, variety of wheels, 91 Golf VR6 project....

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/17/19 11:48 a.m.
AAZCD said:
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to AAZCD :

Unless you’re into underhood murals, ...

Wow, I didn't even know that was a Thing. Do chicks dig it?

There’s apparently a secret “Corvette wives, owners & girlfriends” group that shares, uh, “interesting” pics. I’ve never been a member, but I’ve seen some of the pics...so yes, chicks dig Vette murals.

Edit: also, I’ll revise my earlier comment - if you can drop the hearse body over the C4 chassis, then definitely go for it. Otherwise I still say the Boxter is a leagues better car. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/17/19 1:51 p.m.
AAZCD said:
AngryCorvair said:

...but they suck for getting in, getting out, and seeing out.  ...

If only I had a comfortable 60s GM body I could graft onto it.

Hmmm, I kinda like the sound of that.  But what body?  There were so many.  FWIW, C4 wheelbase is only 1.5” longer than Corvair pickup.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/17/19 2:25 p.m.

It was the same guy I got the hearse from. We decided not to go through with it, but ...another car, another time. I think he's got plenty of cool projects going on.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/17/19 2:30 p.m.

Guys, I think AAZCD might have a fondness for Boxsters. Not sure though. Need more evidence to confirm.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/17/19 3:03 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

Hey, could you send me a couple pix of the shifter doohickey that attaches to the Boxster 6MT?  It’s not the same as the Audi so I need to figure out how to mate the Boxster cables to the Audi box.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/17/19 3:23 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Take a look at these pics and see if they make any sense. Starting around #20 and #50. I'm not sure if that's the 6 speed or 5 in the pics, but it may help.

http://www.101projects.com/Boxster/Projects/037/page1.htm

I'll link you the parts manual and some pics from it in a minute. I'm at work today and can't climb under a car or look in the garage.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/17/19 3:40 p.m.

Work thru the menu on this page to download a .PDF parts catalog for diagrams: http://www.classicshop.porsche.com/pcos-usa/

Here's all I can see right now in the parking lot. Looking from the back to front of the transmission, passenger side, #2 in the diagram above is vertical in the center.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/17/19 10:54 p.m.

Thanks!  The 101 Projects pix and shop manual pages were very helpful.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
8/18/19 9:47 p.m.

I’ve owned lots of different cars including Vettes.  It’s a totally different experience than a Boxster.  Want to race it?  Riddle me this....  How do you attach a steel cage to a fiberglass tub?  I’ve seen lots of “solutions,” but it’s a very valid concern.  A boxster has better rollover protection from the factory.  

On the opposite side of the coin engines are cheap and super easy to extract more power from.  Of you want silly easy to make absurdly fast a C5 is the golden ticket to the willa wonka house of speed.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/19/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

The rollcage is attached to the frame of a Corvette.  I can tell you that the rollcage in Corvettes can be built extremely stout.  I’ve seen a few get in vicious accidents at very high velocities and the drivers walked away.  

The idea that the sheet metal in a Porsche or any other unibody  is some how superior  to the Fiberglas in a Corvette is just wrong.  Yes sheet metal dents and deforms while fiberglass shatters However, both both do their intended purpose which is to absorb energy while slowing the car down.  The ultimate development of fiberglass is Carbon fiber. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
8/19/19 10:16 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

The rollcage is attached to the frame of a Corvette.  I can tell you that the rollcage in Corvettes can be built extremely stout.  I’ve seen a few get in vicious accidents at very high velocities and the drivers walked away.  

The idea that the sheet metal in a Porsche or any other unibody  is some how superior  to the Fiberglas in a Corvette is just wrong.  Yes sheet metal dents and deforms while fiberglass shatters However, both both do their intended purpose which is to absorb energy while slowing the car down.  The ultimate development of fiberglass is Carbon fiber. 

That attachment leads to putting holes in the tub.  The C4 plus are hybrid aluminum steel and wood frames.  Attaching a rollcage to almost any other car is easier.  The c1 to c3 were simple box steel frames.  Heck the c2 and c3 are the same basic frame.

It’s not as if I haven’t looked into this extensively.  And yes some solutions are much stronger than others.  And yes attaching a cage to an all steel Porsche tub is way easier and more straight forward.  

I’m not saying it’s not possible.  It just requires a lot more planning and creativity.  And honest the bolting plates to the fiberglass tub solutions scare the you know what out of me.

And a Boxster will fare better upside down than any factory Vette.  Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.  That’s the silly vet in me though.

Corvettes are awesome, but the C4 is still a fiberglass rattly tub attached to a powerful drivetrain, good suspension and some of the most complex electronics ever.  

And yes carbon finer is the ultimate fiberglass, but C4s aren’t made of carbon fiber.  I work a lot of fiberglass myself for RC projects that fly.  I still don’t want a cage attached to a fiberglass tub for rollover protection.  I’d feel far safer in a Miata with a rollbar on track.  

TA_
TA_ New Reader
8/19/19 10:20 a.m.

I like C4s as much as the next guy, but this seller appears to be posing over multiple Corvette-sized burnout marks.  No thanks.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/19/19 12:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

They are fast.  They corner flat.  They stop on a dime.

but they suck for getting in, getting out, and seeing out.

boxster does tai chi.   C4 does Krav Maga.

That's a good summary. C4s may not be subtle, but they're very good at brutality. That's not a knock at them at all; I've owned one in the past and the main thing preventing me from owning one at the present is not having the space or money for any more cars. I haven't driven a Boxster, so I'm not sure how the experience compares.

The cutoff switch and the burnout marks are red flags on THIS particular C4, though.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/20/19 9:36 a.m.

I think some people saying 'I wouldn't trade a Boxster for a C4' are forgetting that in this case they would still have like 3 Boxsters left after they traded one for a C4. That's a major selling point on this deal, imo. cheeky

Also, as i said i've done a fair amount of work and driving on C4s and i still want one (very cheap, though). So i'm not suggesting it tongue in cheek. If you can fix a Boxster you can fix a C4, and since after the trade you'll still have BOTH anyway, it's a free upgrade to the automotive variety in your life. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SZMMHDXukn6Jmb6nkHaNJPAT6rcuPfFXK6Q6ZR8DloLqTUex2IlNl56ypGLT84zh