1 2
Purple Frog
Purple Frog New Reader
1/20/20 4:43 p.m.

No problem...the Captain Morgan and I looked at the photo wrong.  blush

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/22/20 4:30 p.m.

Not much in the way of news, other than the repaired roof appears to be leaking again in one of the spots it has leaked before.

Yay.

We're trying to get another recommendation for a roofer who is actually capable of showing up, fixing E36 M3 and sticking to his or her estimate.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/7/20 8:47 a.m.

I think I mentioned this in another thread  - I have a bit of a bird problem in the shop and right now some of them are nesting in there. Thanks to some of my reoccuring foot issues I wasn't able to go into the shop for a couple of weeks and the birds made good use of the time and used the cars for target practise. Well, E36 M3.

Anyway, while I was laid up-ish I ordered a couple of shelves for the shop from Costco so I didn't have to move mountains of crates every time I needed to get at something. Finally got to spend this week's "30 minutes in the shop a day" to put them together and start having a go at the rearranging the garage. Finally, I have something to show for my effort, including the white "floor covering". Got to get the 911 movable as well so I can pull it outside and wash it. For some reason the birds thought it was funny to also egg the car. Hrmpf.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/31/21 9:42 a.m.

Still not much work on the actual shop, mostly on the contents. After putting the Rollerskate on dollies, I now have space for a third car in the shop if I keep it reasonably small.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/31/21 8:06 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Nice! When do you pick up your next Miata? :-p

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/31/21 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I'm currently debating if I want another Miata. I'd really like an X1/9 as I have fond memories of the two I owned a long time ago, but they basically have the same issue as a stock 1.6 NA.

OTOH I think I figured out the other reason I wasn't comfortable tracking the S2000 - I think I got used to having proper safety gear around me on the track, not a flimsy stock roll bar and a lot of hope. So I'm also looking at maybe a proper race car again.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/1/21 8:44 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

For god's sake, just buy a track prepped E36 M3 and call it a day!!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/13/21 10:31 a.m.

Random update - we need some work done on the house and I wanted to get the third stall in the building closed up as well with a proper garage door, which should finally address my bird problem.

The contractor who looked at the shop thinks the reason why the open stall has a gravel floor and the closed ones have a concrete floor is that someone put a bigger building over the pad for an old pole barn. If that is indeed the case, there is a very good chance that the concrete is 6" thick or even thicker as that's what they usually used around here to handle the weight of tractors.

If that turns out to be the case and the other repairs to the shop don't eat up all the money, it's lift o'clock!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/16/21 1:37 p.m.

Dragged more BRZ parts into the shop so the rain wouldn't get them.

The light switch has given up the ghost again. I guess I get to get the multimeter out to verify that it's the switch again and not some fried former rodent that found the wires too tasty, but this is the second time since we bought the place that all the interior lights gave up the ghost.

I really should find a way to get up under the ceiling and replace/rewire a bunch of them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/16/21 4:58 p.m.

Yep, switch is berkeleyed. I didn't even buy the cheapest one possible, this is an Eaton 20A commercial grade one. Makes me older if it's coincidence that it went out after the recent thunderstorms. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/17/21 12:50 p.m.

Well, crap.

We had torrential rain yesterday that was getting close to ark-building levels and now the back corner of the shop where the Maxton is parked is nicely flooded.

Looks like the roof repair didn't hold up - fortunately (or unfortunately for my wallet) - we had a contractor out to repair damage to the house's attic fan louvers (which had also been bodged, by someone else) and he took one look at the repair, started swearing and promised to be back tomorrow before the next bout of torrential rain to try and fix the roof properly.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/18/21 7:57 a.m.

Oooh look, shiny floors.

That's roughly a quarter inch of standing water if not more, so my exercise last night was trying to mop up the floor. Of course it also had to be the corner with the metal shelving.

Unfortunately it started raining early so it looks like the emergency roof repairs will have to wait.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/18/21 8:19 a.m.

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the contractors who were trying to fix the roof today - while it's not really doable to try and fix the roof today as there is another storm with heavy rain starting to kick off, they've come over to at least tarp the roof to reduce the odds of further water incursion.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/29/21 12:44 p.m.

Well, some roof repairs later, the roof is mostly watertight.

The bad news is that it looks like the slab is angled slightly towards the door, so water is running under one of the doors in heavy weather. Not sure if I can fix that with a new door seal.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/7/22 8:23 p.m.

Still haven't got new door seals installed, oh well.

Unfortunately today I had another "oh E36 M3" moment - we've had some thunderstorms with some heavy rain, but nothing crazy. Came into the shop to this wonderful sight:

The annoying thing is that the water is dripping right from the center of the purlin under the replaced roof panel. You know, the one that I had replaced last year by people who generally seemed to know what they're doing. To be fair, it's the only leak in the area they touched, but it still blows goats.

Not to mention that there is likely fiberglass insulation behind the boards, and the area is rather inaccessible due to the big wood stove.

It's days like these when I'm wondering if replacing the building with a metal one would be such a bad idea.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
idYggaI1QSSoyC4eqMKoIxehhyeUVh0SiyscyH0c0AvHzklfFx2ELhf4Wiw2L69i