1 2 3
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/29/18 9:01 p.m.

After I mentioned to my FIL that I missed out on the REPU in Illinois, he mentioned his cousin had a truck down as his house. This is the same cousin that has the RWD Maxima, keep in mind. I asked if it was 2WD or 4WD and he said it was 2WD and it "had some work done" to it. Then the transmission went kaput and it would only go backwards, and it has been sitting "for a good spell" now.

So, we went over to look at it, because I've been to the house a few times and never noticed it, so now of course I wanted to see it. It wound up that the cousin was taking a nap, and we didn't want to wake him up, so I couldn't find out how much or what kind of work has been done. 

Anyhow, I am not an RPO kind of guy, but it looks like this was a fairly basic standard cab, short bed, 2WD 350 SBC automatic back in 1990 and it just got a bit of mods. Now I'm debating rescuing it.

 

 

 

 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/29/18 9:05 p.m.

That truck is a nugget. It deserves to live. Do eeeeiit.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/29/18 9:11 p.m.

If you do it and dont want the wheels, i may know a guy that does (me, probably)

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/29/18 10:48 p.m.

That thing is so 90s that Nirvana just started playing suddenly.

The painted grille shell, the mesh grille insert and those wheels! heartyes

It deserves to be saved. Like those old flannel shirts.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/29/18 10:51 p.m.

That’s a cool truck.   I like it.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/29/18 11:39 p.m.

Fiberglass front bumper & air dam?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/30/18 1:23 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

Fiberglass front bumper & air dam?

Yes. Maybe it is something called a Fleetside Sport or has parts from one?  I've no idea, honestly, which is why I posted the RPO codes.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
9/30/18 6:51 a.m.

You HAVE TO. I mean MUST. 

I know it’s the younger brother but watch and more importantly,  listen to the Roadkill Muscle Truck and use your imagination!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/30/18 7:21 a.m.

Id rock that. I would probably need Long Beach Dub All Stars and Metallica's Black album on CD to cruise with.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/30/18 7:48 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

Fiberglass front bumper & air dam?

Looks to be a stock painted bumper.  Standard on sport package. Should also have fog lights, has the small mirrors, painted grille shell, and i think the quick ratio box.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/30/18 8:26 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

That thing is so 90s that Brooks and Dunn just started playing suddenly.

FTFY

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/30/18 8:47 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

That thing is so 90s that Nirvana just started playing suddenly.

 

*spits coffee through nose*

 

 

Now I wonder if the 90s are to some people what the 70s are to me:  An interesting time with denim jackets and white letter tires and questionable body rake, all of which seems unexplainably cool.  Also vans with plush interiors and wild airbrushing on the side that would take a team of hippie artists two months to pull off, but that I don't find that cool for me so much as cool that it exists at all.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/30/18 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

In terms of 90’s truck customization, yes. I was a little kid in the early 90s, but I was forced to go to several street truck shows and my mom thought it to be a good idea to get me a Sport Truck magazine subscription at the age of 9. 

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/30/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

That ends up as a 2.5:1 bikini to truck ratio.  Sounds about right for a 9 year old. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/30/18 10:42 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

If you do it and dont want the wheels, i may know a guy that does (me, probably)

I came in here to say the same thing, i.e. That Dusterbd13 would want the rims.  :-)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/30/18 10:50 a.m.

Everyone here knows im a billet wheel whore. Right?

I miss nirvana. And sport truck magazine. And graphics. And brooks and dunn.

This thread is making me feel old.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/30/18 11:14 a.m.

You are old, but you are loved.

>>internet hug<<

also, wtf is going on with the bikini nurse at far right?  Is that the Tin Man on the stretcher?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/30/18 11:30 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

That thing is so 90s that Brooks and Dunn just started playing suddenly.

FTFY


In the interest of historical accuracy, good ol' boys I know who could have afforded that truck at the time would've been playing Classic Rock and Tim McGraw.  Their wives would've been playing Brooks and Dunn and the Dixie Chicks. Their kids would've been playing Metallica, Tim McGraw and gangster rap (as loudly as possible, for shock value). 

Anyhow. I'm thinking I may just pull the trigger on it, even if I don't wind up keeping it.  It's wasting away under that tree (and here it the interesting part) I'm betting I can get it for $1000 or possibly less, since it is not running. It would become my first Challenge Build. 

 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
9/30/18 11:47 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Anyhow. I'm thinking I may just pull the trigger on it, even if I don't wind up keeping it.  It's wasting away under that tree (and here it the interesting part) I'm betting I can get it for $1000 or possibly less, since it is not running. It would become my first Challenge Build. 

yesyesyes this would make a great challenge car.

Sooooo, surely your uncle has gotten up from his nap by now...

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
9/30/18 12:10 p.m.

You can also use the early 90s 454 ss as inspiration as that was the 454 in 2 wheel drive regular cab half ton.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/30/18 1:47 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:

yesyesyes this would make a great challenge car.

Sooooo, surely your uncle has gotten up from his nap by now...

My father-in-law's cousin, actually. That makes it a bit more difficult than a phone call, because I'm only family by marriage, and I'm a Damn Yankee as well. So, there is a protocol to follow. The plan is to let my wife talk to my mother-in-law. That will prompt a discussion about the truck, the health of the owner (he's a disabled veteran) and other things. The way it will probably work out is that I'll have to at least cut down the tree near the truck and possibly do some other grunt work first.

The latest information is that he was offered $1500 by somebody he had doing roof work 10 years ago, but declined the offer, as "he was going to fix it." I'll probably have to have a discussion on the purchase price of the truck for Challenge purposes when I do pull the trigger.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
9/30/18 1:54 p.m.

I really like that body style. Get it, build it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/30/18 1:58 p.m.

Establish car-guy relationship with seller, tell him about GRM Challenge builds and Duster's driveabeater series, assure him you will do your best to make sure the truck has a glorious future, etc.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/30/18 2:01 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

That thing is so 90s that Brooks and Dunn just started playing suddenly.

FTFY


In the interest of historical accuracy, good ol' boys I know who could have afforded that truck at the time would've been playing Classic Rock and Tim McGraw.  Their wives would've been playing Brooks and Dunn and the Dixie Chicks. Their kids would've been playing Metallica, Tim McGraw and gangster rap (as loudly as possible, for shock value). 

 

Well if one remembers back to the Music videos back then, whether it was Brooks and Dunn, Alan Jackson, or Joe Diffie, they were littered with OBS Chevy trucks, especially custom ones. 

That being said, where I was from, people had Boot Scootin’ Boogie on repeat for like 2 years straight. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
9/30/18 3:00 p.m.
Knurled. said:
stanger_missle said:

That thing is so 90s that Nirvana just started playing suddenly.

 

*spits coffee through nose*

 

 

Now I wonder if the 90s are to some people what the 70s are to me:  An interesting time with denim jackets and white letter tires and questionable body rake, all of which seems unexplainably cool.  Also vans with plush interiors and wild airbrushing on the side that would take a team of hippie artists two months to pull off, but that I don't find that cool for me so much as cool that it exists at all.

Damn I wish I could find my pictures from all the World Of Wheels car shows back then. When it was a big deal to see Adam West as a special guest! You’d love looking at the style we call retro!

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
PmChKx16zwG6sPNpdD9W7viVUbGGl1ezNLdk4nkiMK2XLZ6JqODtVYKkvs7OGrG9