1 2 3 4
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
9/30/18 3:05 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Dead_Sled said:

yesyesyes this would make a great challenge car.

Sooooo, surely your uncle has gotten up from his nap by now...

My father-in-law's cousin, actually. That makes it a bit more difficult than a phone call, because I'm only family by marriage, and I'm a Damn Yankee as well. So, there is a protocol to follow. The plan is to let my wife talk to my mother-in-law. That will prompt a discussion about the truck, the health of the owner (he's a disabled veteran) and other things. The way it will probably work out is that I'll have to at least cut down the tree near the truck and possibly do some other grunt work first.

The latest information is that he was offered $1500 by somebody he had doing roof work 10 years ago, but declined the offer, as "he was going to fix it." I'll probably have to have a discussion on the purchase price of the truck for Challenge purposes when I do pull the trigger.

Tell him he’ll be able to see it on this site and in the magazine and possibly YouTube (then make sure it happens)

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/30/18 3:48 p.m.

Show him this very thread of how we all support you to make this truck awesome, and how we will beat you senseless if a) you don't buy it, and b) you start messing it up.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/30/18 6:49 p.m.

Maybe see if he'd like to be involved in a Challenge build. Show him the site or Challenge issues. I'd bet he'd love ripping his truck down the drag strip or around the autocross course.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/1/18 1:06 a.m.

I have to get the truck, first, you guys.

Then I'll get the older guys involved. My FIL and his cousin are both car guys, but their health isn't that great. So I'll be tapping their brains, buying lunch and spinning wrenches they way they tell me to. 

I'm hoping the shift light in the truck isn't just for show, though I suspect it may be just part of the tachometer setup.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/1/18 10:18 a.m.

RPO codes that seem to matter:

BYP     SPORT EQUIPMENT PKG

GU6     AXLE REAR 3.42 RATIO

JB3     BRAKE POWER, DISC/DRUM, 4,600 LBS

L05     ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 5.7L, 1TBI, V8

MD8     TRANSMISSION, AUTO 4 SPD, THM 700 R4

MX0     MERCHANDISED TRANS AUTO PROVISIONS, O/D

V02     RADIATOR HEAVY DUTY, WITH TRANS OIL COOLER

ZQ8     CHASSIS PACKAGE SPORT

"In 1990, the Sport was re-introduced and carried on until 1994 along with the 454SS. GMC models could now be optioned with the Sport appearance package with their own unique decals and color combinations. The exterior mirrors became solid, low-profile aerodynamic manual units color matched to the body color. A ZQ8 Sport suspension package was now an available option for 2WD models which included Bilstein Shocks, 12:7:1 ratio steering and required 275/60R15 tires."

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/1/18 11:21 a.m.

I love that body style....... I had one. No, I had two. a 93 ECSB and an 89 RCSB. Both V6 and manual trans with 3.08 rear ends. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/1/18 11:31 a.m.

I was a bartender when Brooks & Dunn hit the peak of their popularity.    I hated them, as I had to listen to their songs over and over again on that damn jukebox.

I still know every damn word of a few of their songs---- completely against my will!   

But yes----- save that truck!  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/1/18 1:54 p.m.

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have an LSD in it, being the Sport package and all.

Yeah, I'm already contemplating a build. I'm going to have to read the Challenge rules a bit more closely, too, but it seems like if everything it has on it is functional, it's already quite a bit of the way there. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
10/1/18 2:25 p.m.

You don't want the factory LSD, likely would be a 10 bolt Gov-lock.  Poor reputation, aftermarket is regarded as far superior. 

The only modification in my 88 Silverado 2500 is a clutch-type LSD. I didn't know it was there until we had to go into the diff. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/1/18 4:03 p.m.

So I don't have to type it or try to remember it: 1GCDC14K1LZ138950

Also, TBI seems like a turd way to do things. The multi-port swap seems well documented.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/2/18 8:00 a.m.

TBI works well enough. The heads and cam though? Turribel. Horrific intake ports, no lift, heavy as a house. 454 throttle body and injectors, vortec heads/intake and a decent cam make a very potent performer. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
10/2/18 8:04 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

While the multiport would be betterthan tbi, i dont think i would bother. If you are willing to do that much work for the engine, guess what im going to suggest. Go on, guess.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/2/18 8:30 a.m.

Mark VI 454 big block swap? That's what a real American would say. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/2/18 8:40 a.m.

6BT?

20B?

2JZ?

berkeley man, i'm all out of ideas.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/2/18 9:07 a.m.
bobzilla said:

TBI works well enough. The heads and cam though? Turribel. Horrific intake ports, no lift, heavy as a house. 454 throttle body and injectors, vortec heads/intake and a decent cam make a very potent performer. 

This sounds possibly Challenge friendly.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/2/18 9:08 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

While the multiport would be betterthan tbi, i dont think i would bother. If you are willing to do that much work for the engine, guess what im going to suggest. Go on, guess.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/2/18 9:12 a.m.

Oooh... a better gear ratio. That being said, this seems like something I should try to get at LKQ on one of their half price days. The problem is that the local u-pulls have hordes of semi-professional crews that scour all of the different cars for good things. The SUVs, Pickups, Jeeps and Hondas get hit very hard, and are often reduced to a shell within a day or two.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/5/18 9:44 p.m.

The search for the title or the process to get a lost title is in the works. Looks like I am buying a truck.

I'm going to try to engage my father in law and his cousin in any work that happens, as per the excellent suggestion from the Hive. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/6/18 6:55 p.m.

Reminds me of a 454SS.  A truck that when new I rolled my eyes at.  A truck that a thought was for posers.  A truck I’ve had serious want for for the past couple years.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/6/18 8:39 p.m.

Outstanding!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
10/6/18 9:28 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I've thought about all of that, but the prospect of tuning it....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/6/18 10:05 p.m.

I like tbi. Better than a carb any day of the week.

Simple and reliable. 

However, gm tbi is airflow and fuel limited.  So ultimately, not great for much more than 300 horsepower. 

Mpfi and coil on plug is better in almost every way. However, its up to brett on what his end game is on which way is best for him.

And from one lowered sport/zq8 owner to another, welcome!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/8/18 11:53 p.m.

I have no idea what I'm going to do, at all. It really depends on how much I get the truck for and how cheaply I can get whatever else.

What are the junkyard solutions?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/9/18 12:07 p.m.

If you can get away with it emissions wise, I think a 572 crate would look really good in there.  Not the 7XX hp Dominator carb’d one but the tamer 6XX hp street version.  I think $15k will get it done.  

Storz
Storz SuperDork
10/9/18 12:11 p.m.

That is super cool. I love sport trucks. Get it, rescue it and give it big power

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
taz5cRQjr2vvJTrBgpwkzvJdPLHY7tXclxGnVPmvz1Sdjp0GNOm8YX622vPF6AbS