1 2
faitef
faitef New Reader
12/7/18 10:38 a.m.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
12/7/18 11:34 a.m.

"5.3 LS motor....." the Camaro whispered.....

Just suggesting...

By the time you add a V-8, TH400, etc...it won't be such a light truck.  That goes for a V8 s10 as well...

Maybe easier/better to gut the Camaro if you want light weight: one thing for sure, there's a ton of aftermarket and used parts to upgrade a Camaro....check out thirdgen.org or LS1tech for Fbody parts and know-how...

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/7/18 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Agent98 :

i plan on gutting it. dont get me wrong i like the 5.3 but id much much prefer a bb or what i have readily available if the opportunity showed up for a cheap 5.3 id defiantly take it.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
12/7/18 11:46 a.m.

If you are set on a centrifugal supercharger I'd check out Torqstorm. I have a friend that slapped one on his 383 third gen last winter and then spent the entire summer boiling tires.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1801-a-305ci-engine-makes-big-horsepower-using-torqstorm-supercharger/

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/7/18 11:50 a.m.

Wow, that motor was trashed!

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/7/18 11:55 a.m.

In reply to faitef :

I looked into a big block in my trans am, heater box wants to live in the same place as the head. If this is just a race car thats fine. Just throw it out and smooth the firewall. I want AC in mine though.

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/7/18 12:28 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I will definitely look into it! Thanks for the link. And I'm not completely completely set on a centrifugal but I want boost and turbo set up is stupid expensive. What I'd really like is a big twin turbo set up and a supercharger... but that's in a perfect world and beyond my knowledge

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/7/18 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Yea compleatly goneeee

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/7/18 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

That's in ideal situation. A blown bbc. I'm not worried at all about ac. 2-70. 2 windows down 70 mph

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
12/7/18 5:18 p.m.
faitef said:

I want boost and turbo set up is stupid expensive.

I respectfully disagree. Chinese speed parts have come a long way.

Management used to be the expensive part, but now you can do that for the cost of a good carb. Injectors can be decapped, Chinese turbos are now reliable, search in this very site and you’ll find how to build a cheap meth injection set up. 

If you take your time and shop smart you can have a boosted sbc or ls for half the cost of the 2800$ blower set up listed above.

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/7/18 8:58 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

I haven't looked to to much into it just when I first started looking at forced induction. What's decaped injectors? I'll definitely start looking at it but I'm for sure going to throw something together for the time being.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/10/18 12:21 p.m.

Did you get any work done on the Camaro this weekend?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
12/10/18 2:06 p.m.

In reply to faitef :

I am in the same boat as 1SlowVW here.  If you want hot, nasty V8 power checkout the Sloppy Mechanics Wiki and Youtube Channel 

There is a lot to learn about budget turbo LSx motors, so take some time and read up.  Almost all of your questions have already been answered.  Don't mean to be condescending with a "Suuuurch newb" post this isn't that kinda forum.  But the Sloppy Mechanics Wiki and youtube channel is an amazing resource for budget LS swaps and is what got me started on those motors. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/10/18 4:45 p.m.

I don't own one yet but I've definitely drank the LS koolaid and agree with this post.

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/11/18 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Started gutting it. Getting everything done that I can while I'm not working on the motor. Figuring out all the wiring pulling ac and heat components speakers wiring for speaker carpet back seat and passenger side seat. Some way somehow they managed to get speakers in the dash and I couldn't figure out how to get them out so I haven't gotten to far but making progress nonetheless.

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/11/18 8:59 a.m.

Will definitely look into it. I'll go to the local junkyard and see if I cant find a good ls block if it's cheap enough but I've already ordered the 383 kit so it would be a slow build for the ls

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
12/11/18 9:13 a.m.

In reply to faitef :

Buy the most complete motor you can afford.  I can get a complete high mileage 5.3 truck motor with all accessories, wiring and ecu for $4-500 any day of the week. 

Up here in the rust belt the truck dies before the engine does. 

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/11/18 10:29 a.m.

Wont be hard to find a good one here. What is everyone's thoughts on the 5.3? I've heard they are pretty bad with just a tune but once you start building them they are monsters 

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/11/18 10:31 a.m.

Also I posted on 3rdgen.org but I have another question... is there a better dash I can put in the car? One that will weigh less or be better suited for racing. Ex more space for gauges and a few switches and push button start.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
12/11/18 10:44 a.m.
faitef said:

Wont be hard to find a good one here. What is everyone's thoughts on the 5.3? I've heard they are pretty bad with just a tune but once you start building them they are monsters 

Don’t build it, just boost it. People have made 1000whp in stock bottom end, and the heads flow awesome out of the box. Cam , valve springs, and maybe gapping the rings is all the building you need to do. 

If your cheap and not risk averse you can skip  all that and proceed to the boosting part.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/11/18 10:47 a.m.

In reply to faitef :

As far as making it fit in a 3rd gen f-body. You'll need a 4th gen f-body oil pan. The truck accessory brackets mount the alternator high enough that it won't clear the hood. the truck intake won't clear a flat hood either, but an LS1/LS6 intake will. The truck intake flows decent enough to make power if you want to leave it and run a cowl, otherwise find a car intake. Stock truck exhaust manifolds will fit but you probably won't use those. 

EDIT: the dash question.

The Firebird dash has a lot more room. I've also seen 4th gen dash swaps. 

I've got a spare complete '84 Trans Am dash I'd let go of just to see a Firebird dash in a Camaro confuse people.

EDIT: with the 4th gen dash i just realized it also means you could run the stock cluster with your stock LS ECU.

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/11/18 2:18 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Ok. Will look into the ls as soon as I get the chance.

faitef
faitef New Reader
12/11/18 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Ok I'll find that if I manage to find a ls. And I'll see if I need a new dash. If so we can work something out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cex3ApN2LiuzdzGlnPKSkiW2XcH0ZSTtmGwxUdFQJZlDHc2NVg9joLZ4WuH15hOt