1 2
Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/17/17 5:25 p.m.

Little background, and way too long! Currently 2 hours away from home, and not looking forward to the motorcycle ride back. Figured this would be a good time to make the start of a build thread, to keep me focused on getting this heap finished.

I was always into cars growing up, although no one in my family really was. I couldn't wait to get my license, and a car. Purchased my first car when I was 15 or 16, from a friends cousin after seeing it race a few times.... I didn't have my license, and no idea how to operate the manual transmission in the car. Early 90s turbo Ford junk, which brought me down the rabbit hole of owning 10+ of these same vehicles over my teens.....

I finally realized trying to make those quick, was too much work for me, as no one made parts. Everything had to be made. Got into the dsm stuff, and ended up owning way too many 4g63 powered vehicles. During this stage of my life, early 20s I didn't have any money. 4g63 stuff was cheap and easy to find.

Made a drastic lifestyle change, and moved 9 hours away from my hometown when I was 23ish. Prior to the move, I would only hold jobs that gave me tons of freedom but little pay. Few weeks after the move, I secured a solid job and started to focus on being an adult, and not wasting my time away.

After a few months, I bought what was my dream car at the time. An Evo 8, that was stock with under 50k miles.

Absolutely loved it at first, but after modding it some I started to fall out of love.

Sold it, and started to hunt for a V8 TT Esprit. I couldn't find that "perfect" one, that checked all the boxes and started to give up the search. Someone suggested to find an S4 Esprit, as they are more reliable and better balanced. At the time, they were both pretty closely priced, so it took convincing for me to purchase a 4cyl Turbo variant, when I could have a v8 TT for similar money. Ended up finding one listed online, and was on a flight out a day later to purchase it.

Aside from the transmission, it was a fun car. Eventually sold it for an Elise.

To me, the Elise is the perfect vehicle. I love them. Also, big into motorcycles, and have gone through just about everything over the years, and the Elise is a similar experience for me as a bike.

The next vehicle was a fully built e36 M3, with a single turbo. Made a little under 600hp.

I know people love those cars, but I was never crazy about it. Sold it, and started looking at used r35 gtr and atoms.

Someone randomly got in contact with me, from a wtb post I made 5+ years ago... The moment he told me what it was, I was already planning if I was flying and driving the car home, or shipping it. I tried getting a flight the following day, and the cheapest flight was like $1,200. I rented a car, and after 14 hours of driving was in this guys neck of the woods. He got cold feet, and didn't want to sell the car! I was furious, and started looking for something else in the area, when he finally called me back and we met up.

Sold it, with the intentions of finding an r35 or atom again. My friend purchased a steal of a deal on a local r35 before I could act on it. This was a blessing in disguise, as I used that money to invest in a business.

Now in my late 20s, I've focused the majority of my time and resources on business ventures. I've owned a few "entry" level exotics after the evo 4, but started getting more and more into motorcycles.

The past year or so, aside from a hot hatch, classic Benz, and a ton of motorcycles. I haven't had a project. I've always wanted to do track days, and have something only for that purpose. It was either going to be on a bike, or car. I found a bundle deal on 3 rare 80s superbikes, that ran in a race series at the time. Super excited, I started looking for a way to get them all home from many states away. The seller started to turn me off more and more, after he would always talk about how he is such a good guy, and only sells perfectly working stuff every convo... He was also very hard to stay in contact with.

So I started looking at everything under the sun. One of my friends randomly sent me a link, to a clean low mileage Xr4ti. I completely forgot about those things, but have always been turned off by the motor in those. Having owned early 90s turbo Ford stuff in the past, another sohc Turbo 4 cylinder was not something I wanted in my life ever again. The next day, I kept thinking about how much I actually like the body style of the xr4ti, and it might make a perfect track rat. They're cheap, and if my novice skill set every stuffed it, I wouldn't care.

I went down the rabbit hole of looking for one, and quickly found the perfect example. It was a roller. It came with a spendy custom 8.8 rear end setup, full suspension, multiple sets of wheels, spare parts, and a tubular front end.

The previous owner and his wife used this for autocross for a few years. All the work he did on the car over the years is top notch. Great fab skills, and I wish he was local as I would use him for anything that required a welder.

He had a few motors in the car, all 2.3 Turbo variants.

He even made his own carbon hood

It was dropped off at my place last weekend, and here is how she currently sits.

I've already purchased a 95 Cobra motor for it. Mildly worked heads, cam, carb setup. Heads, and carb are teflon coated. Pretty simple setup, and I will eventually build a 331, or a modular motor if I like the chassis...

Someone makes a mount kit for the 302, and I'm currently awaiting it to show up. It's another week or so out, as the guy makes everything by order.

I already have a tons of parts, and will update this thread as I go. Figured I would make a thread, to keep the fire lit on having this finished quickly. Also I'm new to road racing on four wheels, and would love to start attending events as a spectator while this is being built to get an education.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
6/18/17 8:53 a.m.

Let me grab some popcorn

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/18/17 9:50 a.m.
Raze wrote: Let me grab some popcorn

It's going to be awhile!

Mount kit is still 1-2 weeks out.

Pretty much have every part I need aside from the ignition system, can't decide which way I want to go.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
6/18/17 9:56 a.m.

I wish that I still had my 89 xr4ti just so I could swap a coyote into it.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/18/17 10:08 a.m.

Should make for an interesting ride. Any guess on the completed weight of the project?

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/18/17 10:40 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Should make for an interesting ride. Any guess on the completed weight of the project?

It was under 3,000lbs with the 2.3 setup, and a full interior. I'm going to pull weight out of it, and the 302 should be a wash considering the 2.3 is heavy, not to mention all the turbo stuff as well.

If I could see 2,700-2,800 lbs I would be happy

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/18/17 11:10 a.m.

That's as cool as I thought it would be when you first mentioned XR4Ti.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
6/18/17 1:19 p.m.

You've had quite the interesting arc of car ownership. Can't wait to see what happens with this one.

I've never seen a 302-swapped Merkur locally; all the turbo 2.3 guys seem pretty happy with their fire-spitting junkyard tractor motors. A quick Google indicates other people have built one, which seems like it'd be a fun car!

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/18/17 4:04 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: You've had quite the interesting arc of car ownership. Can't wait to see what happens with this one. I've never seen a 302-swapped Merkur locally; all the turbo 2.3 guys seem pretty happy with their fire-spitting junkyard tractor motors. A quick Google indicates other people have built one, which seems like it'd be a fun car!

I believe the previous owner went through 3-4 motors, over the course of a few years. I love turbo 4cyl, but not sohc Ford junk.

People have swapped all sorts of different motors into these buckets.

The motor I have should make a little under 300hp, which should be plenty of fun.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
6/18/17 6:34 p.m.

Ah, I figured you picked up that car when you mentioned the tube front end.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/18/17 7:11 p.m.
GPz11 wrote: Ah, I figured you picked up that car when you mentioned the tube front end.

For my plans, it was the perfect shell. All the "bones" are solid quality. Couldn't be happier. Cheap junk always excites me!

I'm hoping I fall in love with it, once completed. I would like to add RS fenders, and have it repainted. I just sold off the Cosworth wing.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
7/13/17 10:51 a.m.

Minor update

Due to my lack of time, and wanting this completed before the end of the season. I've put it into a hired hand.

New oil pan gasket, rear main seal, and hei distributor are in. Awaiting a new water pump, and the engine mount kit. Both should be here tomorrow.

New ram clutch kit, and ram billet flywheel.

World class t5....

Factory wiring is out, and basically just waiting on the custom mount kit..

I've never driven one of these cars, ever.

I bought this as a roller out of complete left field.

Placed a few bids on an old Grassroots car, and ended up winning it... Going to attempt to drive the thing from Columbus Ohio, down to North Carolina next weekend.

Now I will be able to compare the 2.3 turbo to a v8 swap...

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/13/17 11:08 a.m.

I had many of variations of 2.3's in my car and was never happy with the turbo lag.

My first drive in my 302 swapped car made me all warm inside.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
7/13/17 11:42 a.m.
GPz11 wrote: I had many of variations of 2.3's in my car and was never happy with the turbo lag. My first drive in my 302 swapped car made me all warm inside.

I'm sure I will hate it, but it was so cheap. I couldn't resist bidding, and making a weekend adventure out of it.

Yours is super clean!

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/13/17 12:12 p.m.

Thanks, we've put alot of time into it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/13/17 1:38 p.m.

Sounds like a cool build. Are you using something like Sierra XR8 bits for the swap, or is this a different, non-factory setup?

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
7/13/17 1:54 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Sounds like a cool build. Are you using something like Sierra XR8 bits for the swap, or is this a different, non-factory setup?

1995 Cobra motor. Someone makes the engine mounts.

It already has had a T5 swap, and a custom 8.8 alum built rear diff.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/13/17 1:54 p.m.

A copy of the factor XR8 build. James Deberry makes a kit to install V8's into XR's, either 302's or 4.6, 5.4 mod motors too.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
7/13/17 2:19 p.m.
GPz11 wrote: A copy of the factor XR8 build. James Deberry makes a kit to install V8's into XR's, either 302's or 4.6, 5.4 mod motors too.

Yep.

That's whos making my kit. He is dropping it off tomorrow.

Mr_Merkur
Mr_Merkur New Reader
7/13/17 7:12 p.m.

Nice to run across a fellow XR owner! I'll be watching this one...I may go V8 if I screw up my turbo trying to change out the turbine housing. :)

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
8/1/17 10:53 a.m.

So I ended up buying that other Xr4ti.

Booked a flight the day prior to leaving, and it ended up getting cancelled at 10 PM. Booked another flight for 6am, and ended up never going to sleep.

Originally I booked a straight flight from Charlotte to Columbus, but when I rebooked it had a connecting flight in D.C. Flight to D.C. Went off without a hitch. From D.C. To Columbus, things got interesting. We were diverted because of weather, to a tiny random airport 2 hours north of Columbus. Pilots said a quick refuel, and we would be on our way. I was up front, and could see the pilots were having issues with something. They kept claiming to be waiting on "paperwork" to leave.

After almost two hours of sitting on the tarmac, passengers started to question the pilots and flight attendant heavily and they finally cracked. Admitted mechanical fault, that couldn't be repaired. Plane full of passengers they ditched at a random airport. They wouldn't cover any flights out or rental cars.

People were crying, as many couldn't afford rental cars or didn't even drive. I ended up renting a car, and giving a stranger a ride, to a wedding reception he would have missed.

It was over 2 hours of driving to the Xr4ti from the random terminal. By this point I was incredibly tired, and over it. I didn't even need this car, and any excitement I had was long gone. Previous owner and his wife, were super cool and very helpful. I drove the 8 hours home straight, with only gas stops. Got home at 2am. Mind you, it was 90+ degrees out. Fixed racing Corbeau, no AC and pass window didn't roll down....

(Previous owner clearing it out before the trek home)

Woke up the next day, not wanting to ever look at this car again as i was still pissed about the flight. (United airlines you suck) My girlfriend questioned why I have two of these, and just list it for sale. I couldn't argue with that, and told her if it doesn't sell in a week I'm keeping it. I had a solid 10+ interested parties within two days of listing.Sold it to a guy, who plans to continue racing it. Glad it ended up in solid hands, and I gained another adventure story.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
8/1/17 11:04 a.m.

V8 Xr4ti update

Bunch of new gaskets have been replaced, and other small items.

The car has a custom tubular front end, and one of the bars were in the way of the drive belts. It was cut out, and I will have another added once the car is running and driving. It has one of the largest front sway bars you can find for these, and is routed in a different position than the factory bar. With the 2.3, it fits fine but with the v8 setup, the bellhousing is in the way. I need to track down a stock front sway bar :(

Motor is being pulled back out. The tunnel needs to be massaged a bit, for the the bellhousing. The trans I have is unknown, and looks a little rough. It's getting resealed. Progress . . .

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/1/17 11:15 a.m.

Loved the story about buying the black car. Your significant other must have a great sense of humor!

And there is a reason that United has been voted the worst Airline in the known Universe.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
8/1/17 11:43 a.m.

Wow United just give you a "eh close enough" and dumped you? That's pretty bad even by their standards. Fun story otherwise.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
8/1/17 11:52 a.m.

As I move back into a position that requires extensive travel, I weep at your recent experience. I thought maybe air travel had improved over the past few years...

Cool project though, best of luck!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1rMqfrFQREgQIvo2luY5cKuzBvpYKOkla93Bq6MkL7iXZBL5imBXL7lFzcJWnqOV