1 2 3 4
Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
2/3/22 7:26 a.m.

Please tell me the WRX wing is going to be narrowed a little and go on the roof of the Mini.

Love it.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
2/3/22 8:12 a.m.

I can't imagine dealing with that kind of rust. 

The finished project should be pretty impressive. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/3/22 8:15 a.m.

I mean the MINI is blue so it's more of a Subaru than that rusty thing the drivetrain was trapped in anyway.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
2/3/22 8:47 a.m.

Pretty awesome project.  I'll follow along.

Those trailing arms were crazy.  I'm shocked the car still roll.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
2/3/22 8:49 a.m.

WOW what a build! That is coming along nicely and I'll be following. I can't believe that engine fits under the hood. Incredible.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
2/3/22 8:51 a.m.
Gammaboy said:

Please tell me the WRX wing is going to be narrowed a little and go on the roof of the Mini.

Love it.

The wing would look good at full lenth on the mini.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/3/22 8:51 a.m.

Holy carp, the rust!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/3/22 8:53 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I drove it like that!  I mean, not very far, because no cooling system, but still.  The rear suspension was held together by the handbrake cables, which were cut at the backing plates...

It should also be noted that not only was the car being driven in this state, but it had new struts and front brakes, so someone took money to put a lot of money in repairs into it.

In reply to maschinenbau:

And that there is why I sat on this for a month or so aside from teaser pics.  There were so many ways this wouldn't work, and so many ways it can be awesome if it would, that I did not want to say I was doing a thing and then have to walk it back.

There are still a few things that will suck, like the front control arms.  But the key is putting the subframe in where the drivetrain fits.  Then modify the suspension so the axle centerline is correct.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/3/22 9:24 a.m.
wae said:

Holy carp, the rust!

Amazingly, all of the fasteners up front and most of the ones in the rear came out and could take a socket.

I AM planning on replacing some key components where the expense to difficulty swings to spending money's favor.  

Bear in mind my 10 year old GL wagon was far rustier...  Erk.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
2/3/22 10:27 a.m.

You still planning to go for mid-engine?  The pics look like you're going for a traditional swap location.

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
2/3/22 10:29 a.m.

AWD drifts in a dirt parking lot is a must the moment it can hold all of its fluids..... 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/3/22 10:35 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

You still planning to go for mid-engine?  The pics look like you're going for a traditional swap location.

No midengine for this, the engine will be in the front. 

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
2/3/22 10:57 a.m.

This is all kinds of awesome.

Carry on.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
2/3/22 11:14 a.m.
RandolphCarter said:

This is all kinds of awesome.

Carry on.

^ What he said!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/3/22 11:42 a.m.

Going with a rear mount radiator?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/3/22 11:51 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

I am thinking of overdriving the water pump and going with internal air cooling, possibly with a water mist system.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
2/3/22 11:51 a.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. Hard to tell but I assume you have decent axle placement up front or is this going to be RWD only?

adam525i
adam525i Dork
2/3/22 11:55 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
eastsideTim said:

I am thinking of overdriving the water pump and going with internal air cooling, possibly with a water mist system.

What about running Methanol? devil

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/3/22 12:02 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
eastsideTim said:

I can't even tell if this is a joke. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/3/22 12:04 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Roof mount radiator set into a sprint car wing. 

gumby
gumby Dork
2/3/22 12:07 p.m.

In for driveline angle shenanigans!

Do you anticipate moving the suspension the entire current 1.5" delta, or splitting the difference someplace and letting the CV's absorb the slack?

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/3/22 12:20 p.m.

Ho-ly smokes what a rotten car lol. This should be fun! 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/3/22 12:31 p.m.
dculberson said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
eastsideTim said:

I can't even tell if this is a joke. 

It is.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/rear-mount-radiator/188729/page2/

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/3/22 12:40 p.m.
gumby said:

In for driveline angle shenanigans!

Do you anticipate moving the suspension the entire current 1.5" delta, or splitting the difference someplace and letting the CV's absorb the slack?

The CVs should be fine although between the additional angle and the additional Ackerman (which I do want) causing more inside wheel toe-out in turns, I anticipate needing some limiters behind the inner tie rods.  That is a problem for the future, though.

Axle centerlines are mandatory to stay stock.  Must look as much as possible like a regular R53.  Part of the early project holdup was that I wanted to retain 4x100 wheels, didn't want five lug wheels on the car.  (Plus between me and Evan we have like six hundred 4x100 wheels)

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
2/3/22 1:12 p.m.

This whole thing is berking fantastic. Looking forward to updates!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5XaZVi3iK7sXVQbBH4JX8Ow4DM0RMrIMdKcWkLJXRkglY18MXyhxKmT6YlmZwcVW