3 4 5 6 7
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/8/21 10:44 a.m.

How did you route the exhaust so it didn't interfere with the drivetrain or suspension?

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
1/8/21 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The rear suspension is in full droop, so I allowed for another 1/8” of clearance to the axle, before I tack welded it. That should be much more than enough space to allow the lower wishbones to be all the way up, at full compression. 

If I have time, I’ll pull the springs and bump stops off, and test that theory. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
3/2/21 10:11 a.m.

This project burned me out a bit, and my daily driver has become too unreliable,

so I threw some work at the only other thing around here that could get a plate on it, my cafe racer project. Plugs are almost ready for molds.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
3/2/21 10:18 a.m.

If you only knew the lustful thoughts a teenage Stampie had for a black 164S. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
3/2/21 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

A friend of mine had a couple of Milanos. The first one was written off and left me with a little head trauma and blood loss. And yet, I still prefer those. No torque steer. 

Love my 30 year old 164S, but the next problem pops up before the last one’s even solved. Still, THE ENGINE SOUND!!!

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
3/2/21 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I was just driving the E36 M3 out of it, on the way home (normally my hairy boy is with me), while BLASTING this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwVJ7FWc4rQ 

That berkeleying car has incredible brakes!!! 

Between driving the piss out of Spezia (PO named it), and blasting that tune, it's like euphoria overload!!!!!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/2/21 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

has become too unreliable, This made me laugh, the "become" part.....

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
3/2/21 11:10 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

LOL

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
4/7/21 9:48 a.m.

Porky has a smaller (0.62”) diameter rear master than the one for the front (0.70”). I’ll be replacing it (rear) with the larger version (0.75”). 

The car currently has a balance bar at the pedal, as well as a biasing valve in the pipe to the rear brakes. I have a sneaking suspicion, that the two methods of balancing the braking system were needed, because as designed, the rear circuit was receiving more pressure than the front. 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/21 7:36 p.m.

Seems like a good plan.

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
6/23/21 2:10 a.m.

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
7/3/21 3:47 p.m.

Gland nut wrench and shock vise. Didn’t budge, but after a week of PB Blaster, there was a satisfying “pop.”

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
7/3/21 3:50 p.m.

My first guess was a prison-yard shiv.

Good to see you making some progress again!

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
7/3/21 4:27 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

My first guess was a prison-yard shiv.

Good to see you making some progress again!

I probably used similar fabrication techniques. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
7/21/21 1:13 a.m.

This finally arrived. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
9/26/21 10:29 p.m.

Well, that was one hell of an effort wasted on shocks that were destined for the scrapyard. One of them had a completely blown apart valve body. In conversation with two manufacturers now. 

A bit bummed that I couldn’t save the original parts. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
10/10/21 12:06 p.m.

8-10 weeks, and I should be receiving Porky’s front shocks. They’ll be coming from Ikon, in Australia.

They’ve been an absolute pleasure to deal with, but the product development phase was still more involved than I would have suspected. Mostly clearance/packaging issues. 

Ended up with steel bodied units, because the lower eye diameter works. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
10/10/21 4:16 p.m.

Nice progress.  Always good to hear you're moving forward.

What's next on the to-do list?

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
10/15/21 10:35 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Fixed the slop in the steering by installing a bronze bushing, where there was an oversized hole in an aluminum plate that the column passes through.

With the help of a friend, I tracked down a tech inspector for VARA, whom to ask about rules interpretation. 

Next: Fire system and fuel cell. That should make it trackworthy, if that’s a word. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
10/16/21 3:08 p.m.

Floors removed.

Istalled tiny felt pads for vibration absorption/isolation.

Floors back in. 

Added grip tape. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
10/16/21 4:11 p.m.

steering fix

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
11/6/21 10:53 a.m.

Fuel cell is on order and being fabricated at Aero Tech Labs. I might have saved a few $ and a tiny bit of weight building my own enclosure, but time is also valuable. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
11/6/21 8:25 p.m.

A mounting system only its creator could love. 

Prest-O

Change-O 

Fighting one stupid decision at a time. 

Frequently, not my own.

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
11/21/21 11:11 a.m.

Oil cooler relocation in progress. 

From here: 

To here:

I’ll add a couple of large NACA ducts, in the door, to feed it. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
11/24/21 9:56 a.m.

Looks like a very effective change.  That rear-mounted location looks pretty bad.  Nice progress.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wfMpIGISIylMtLqDNDLP9dFNrOumi0rqFXxHn9R2WXFhesUqQmc8TInbafyrezQi