9 10 11
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
6/22/24 7:52 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

Hey Tom. My lightning had the same failure. In the shop for 45 days. Been flawless since module replacement. 

Interesting--I'm hoping I'll have mine back sooner.

My rep went from returning emails within 15 minutes to no reply in three days after I asked for a status update, so I fear this dealership might be one of the victims of that cyber attack. Hopefully I'll find out more on Monday.

In the meantime, I've been making good use of the loaner truck:

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
6/22/24 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

My hold up was getting the module out of Dearborn. Nobody likes to ship high voltage batteries. And once they got the battery they didn't have the glue to glue the covers back on. Make sure they have that on order

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
6/22/24 9:36 p.m.

When was yours replaced? My dealer said they'd done a few of these recently, so I'm hoping they're a little more efficient now. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
6/22/24 10:22 p.m.

About two months ago

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/23/24 10:36 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:
It's almost always free...

Well, kinda...

Its never actually free. It costs the hotel quite a bit. And it's paid for by ALL the hotel guests that stay there in their room rates. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
6/23/24 11:07 a.m.
SV reX said:
Tom Suddard said:
It's almost always free...

Well, kinda...

Its never actually free. It costs the hotel quite a bit. And it's paid for by ALL the hotel guests that stay there in their room rates. 

Sure, same as the wifi, the pool, and your water usage aren't "free", even when not listed as a separate fee. Seems difference without a distinction.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
6/23/24 11:29 a.m.

Yep, exactly. I like to call it "prepaid" but the difference is pointless. As I've discussed before, hotels with charging don't seem to be more expensive than equivalent hotels without, and I usually stay in Hampton Inns or equivalent no matter what I'm driving. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/24 11:33 a.m.
dculberson said:
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I know the feeling... I need to make an appointment with one of the local Dodge dealers to get new key fobs for my minivan.  

Too bad you're not closer; I have a key programming machine and can easily add fobs to a Caravan.

<- (ponders driving time from Philly to Columbus...)

But in all seriousness, PM heading your way momentarily.

Last weekend I got to experience a Lightning first hand as one of my mtn bike club teammates has one.   He drove it from his home near DC to Davis WV.  He said the range was pretty good until he hit the mountains (Davis is at about 3200 elevation) and range started going down quickly at that point and he arrived with about 20% of charge left.

Fortunately, we were at a campground with a few sites with full RV hook-ups including 50A and 30A receptacles.  My group had two of those sites, so he parked the truck at one of the sites and plugged it in periodically during our stay.  We also used his truck for occasional shuttles and I rode in the back seat - which is limo-like in leg-room. 

If he has one complaint, it's how the truck won't retain tailgate settings in memory. He has a 6x vertical bike rack on the back of the truck, and the fancy tailgate has to be in "manual mode" or something in order to be opened because the proximity sensors don't like the bike rack there. However it resets every time he shuts the truck off so he has to dig through the menus on the screen to set it back to manual in order to open the tail gate.  Not a huge thing, but just kinda of an annoying thing that probably didn't occur to Ford engineers.  My guess is it's something that could probably be "fixed" with a future software update. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/23/24 11:43 a.m.

Now that's a bike rack

mattm
mattm Reader
6/23/24 5:48 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:
Spearfishin said:
Tom Suddard said:
OHSCrifle said:

How many times has the hotel charger been occupied when you get there?

It's happened once or twice on roadtrips, but not usually. Most hotels with charging seem to have 2-4 chargers, while I've found one with a dozen of them. When they've all been full, I just eat breakfast at a local fast charger before getting back on the highway. Chain restaurants, chain hotels and fast chargers tend to be at the same exits, as they're all there to support road trips. 

Thought of this thread when I was in Tampa for work. My hotel window looked down on the 4 EV charging sports they had. Every day an employee parked in one, in their 04ish Nissan Murano. But at most I saw 2 EVs, leaving a spot free, including the jackass hotel employee's vehicle clogging one up. 

Do you pay for that charging when you book the room? Is it metered and billed to your room? 

It's almost always free, but when it is paid then you pay at the charger like any other station. 

I recently stayed at a holiday inn express for a baseball tournament and was pleasantly surprised to see 6 Tesla destination chargers (level 2, not superchargers) out front of the hotel. I was surprised to look at the Tesla app later and see a charge for the... err... charge. It wasn't cheap and I was happy to have the car charger while I slept. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/23/24 5:59 p.m.

I view hotel chargers like WiFi was 15 years ago. Some places are trying to make it a profit center, others realize that it gets them more business so they don't charge. And like WiFi, I expect it will eventually be ubiquitous and no extra charge except for business hotels where everyone's on an expense account anyhoe. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
6/24/24 10:51 a.m.

I asked the Ford dealership if they had any updates:

Good morning, Tom 

Yeah, I do. We received that last remaining part this morning that we have been waiting for. My tech is planning to have it back in the shop and finished up by the weekend. I will keep you posted. Once parts are installed, he will retest to make sure all is operating perfectly. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
6/24/24 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

maybe they'll really do the hotel wifi model and limit you to extra-slow charging unless you pay for premium or have gold status

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/24/24 11:32 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

That's quite plausible, because (unlike wifi) it actually costs more to offer higher speed charging. There are also times when you might actually want faster charging. But as long as you're not rocking a Silverado with a ludicrously sized battery, chances are that even the throttled charging speed would get you a full battery overnight.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
6/24/24 11:52 a.m.

Yeah, that's probably where it will end up. For now, though, it's truly the wild west and hotels don't seem to have any idea what to do with it. 

Case in point: A few weeks ago I was towing home from AMP, and stopped for the evening in Atlanta. My hotel, a Tru by Hilton, had a bank of 10kw Tesla Destination chargers, as well as a few free 7kw Clipper Creek J1772 chargers. They totaled maybe 6 or 8 chargers, and they were all free. 

And of course, there were a few chargers in use, a few blocked by ICE vehicles, and the remaining ones in a bad spot to squeeze a trailer next to. I could have figured something out, but it was midnight and I was ready to go to sleep.

So I drove to the other side of the parking lot, where I was technically in Homewood Suites by Hilton territory. Same company's sister hotel. They had a bank of Chargepoint 6kw chargers that all charged a normal rate per kWh (I don't remember it, but it was a few bucks for the overnight charge). Same company, same parking lot, 50' away from each other. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/5/24 9:02 a.m.

Have your truck back?

We finally got a babysitter (grandparents, obviously) and met after work Friday at semi-local large-by-big Ford dealer so wife could drive a Lightning. They had 87 ICE F-150's in stock. Lightning, which they couldn't find. Apparently the dealer software hack is still messing with their operations. It's a leftover 23 Lariat standard range. Finally found it (on the chargers beside the main show room). Were informed that they don't get many calls for Lightnings and can order whatever we want, 12-16 week production lead. 

We ask to test drive the single available example so my wife can see if she's even interested and after some more wild goose chasing around this huge dealership we learn it's "in the middle of a deal" and they'd rather us not test drive it. 

Neat. Thanks for the 45 minute goat rodeo so that we could peak at the inside of a truck that largely looks identical to the '21 F-150 I've put 105k miles on. Glaring difference being giant vertical screen for a center stack. Went to Hyundai and Chevy after that. I want to want the Ioniq 5, but it's not any bigger than her current whip. Blazer EV was intriguing, but we got there 15 minutes before closing and didn't want to hold them up setting up a test drive. 

Overall, I'm just not a fan of the "dealership experience". 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
7/5/24 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Spearfishin :

Come down to Walterboro, SC. The owner of the Ford dealership goes to church with my parents. He ordered 12 Lightenings when they first came out. Last I heard he still has 11 on the lot. He can't sell them for cost. Rural SC apparently doesn't have any use for an electric truck. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
7/5/24 11:14 p.m.

I finally got my truck back this afternoon--been a busy busy week with family stuff, but I'm thrilled to be back in my smooth, quiet, fast truck instead of the loaner. Over the life of the loan, I averaged 16.3 mpg with the loaner, using it exactly like I'd normally use my truck, though no towing because it didn't have a brake controller.

I'll write more about the Lightning later, but figured I should post that it's back. Supposedly it took an extra week+ because the only EV tech was out sick. 

9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tEOMe4TezrgTVbhMdgl5MdKEkctt9Wo99y8RmtZHUfKc2gzlYNZN2GSCXCqPttlK