3 4 5 6
pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/27/19 11:38 a.m.

I like the power steering, but I also had a problem overworking it in autocross on my b13 se-r.  I may try to incorporate some sort of cooler when I fix the hose on this one. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
11/2/19 9:04 p.m.

So I signed up for an autocross at the firm tomorrow. 

In anticipation I ordered a new power steering hose from rockauto to replace the one that sprung a leak at the challenge.  $40 dollars later I have power steering again, hooray! 

I decided to take the car up to autozone to pick up some spark plugs for my 4runner.  No issues, car drove fine.  After making my purchase I return to the car and it refused to start angry

I fiddled with it in the parking lot for a few minutes with no luck.  I ended up getting an uber home and picked up my truck and a bunch of tools.  I proceeded to waste the next three hours unsucessfully trying to get it to run.

Eventually I threw in the towel and drove across town to the lot to pick up the same tow dolly I dropped off Friday morning frown

The car is now sitting in my front yard taunting me from the tow dolly. 

I think it could be the MSD ignition at this point, I am going to remove it tomorrow and see if I can get the car running with out it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
11/3/19 11:38 a.m.

Bummer to hear but way better than happening about 2 hours of running earlier

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
11/3/19 5:24 p.m.

Good point, or two hours later at the FIRM.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
11/3/19 5:53 p.m.

So that's the egg from the challenge?  I couldn't figure out what car people were talking about.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
11/6/19 4:40 a.m.

First car I ever built was am nx2000 when I was in high school 15 or so years ago. I had a ton of fun in that thing..never see them around anymore. Nostalgic as hell over here.

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
11/8/19 2:50 p.m.

I hope you can join us this year! I love the tribute to Jay with your build. He would have been so stoked about that. 

06HHR
06HHR Dork
11/8/19 3:27 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Have you got it back running yet?  Hoping it's not the ECU.  The last time that happened to my Infiniti G20 the ECU quit driving the injectors, I found a used one that was said to be good and sent my original out to have it refurbished.  $170 bucks later it was good as new.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
11/9/19 6:42 a.m.
B13Birk said:

I hope you can join us this year! I love the tribute to Jay with your build. He would have been so stoked about that. 

I am going to try to make it this year.  I stopped by last year for the car show in the grass breifly.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
11/9/19 6:45 a.m.

In reply to 06HHR :

An ecu not driving injectors is a very real possibility.  I may have a spare ecu in my spare parts box, I will give it a shot.

Who did you use to have the ecu rebuilt?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/9/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

MSD = Mostly Sucks D!ck

Ask yourself why does every car with an MSD  have *two* MSD’s?

06HHR
06HHR Dork
11/9/19 3:48 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

I used Module Experts, they are in Jacksonville (6873 Philips Industrial Blvd, Ste B). Charged me 179 plus shipping.  Talk to Adam 904-990-5139  

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
11/16/19 4:29 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR :

You were correct!  I picked up a used ecu and the car is running again.

The problem is one of the injectors is stuck open.  I pulled all 4 injectors and will get them rebuilt this week.

I will take my non working JWT ecu to the place you suggested on Phillips.  Thanks for the tip!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/2/21 7:02 p.m.

So I have not updated this thread in quite awhile.  I got the car running but what I thought was a stuck injector ended up being a dead cylinder.  The same one that I thought came back in the earlier posts gave up the ghost.

So long story short. I ended up sourcing a used low mileage engine from a G20.   I pulled the old engine with the help of a buddy and then promptly got side tracked.  The car sat behind my buddies car lot for almost a year before I came to the realization that it will never get finished unless I bring it to the house.

I paid a local tow truck to bring her home.  This afternoon I braved the cold 45 degree Florida weather to pressure wash the engine bay.

Old engine...

New engine...

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/2/21 7:20 p.m.

Man I feel bad.  I helped in a very small way to remove the old but didn't follow through on helping in a very small way to install the new.  Need any help now?  I can double mask if you want.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
2/2/21 7:40 p.m.

I appreciate it.  I will let you know if I need any help.  I am hoping to do a little each night until its back together.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/2/21 7:47 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

10-4.  I can always make time.  Lil Stampie comes back to me Friday but hey his labor is free and forced if I threaten to take his phone from him.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
3/27/21 4:29 p.m.

Car is finally back together! Took it for a drive this afternoon and she drove well.

ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter)
ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/27/21 7:11 p.m.

Subbed. Will make for a good poop read till my legs fall asleep. 

Love me some B series obviously

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
3/27/21 7:50 p.m.

Looking good! Congrats!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/28/21 9:49 a.m.

Didn't want to swap the racy red valve cover onto the new engine?

ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter)
ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/28/21 10:36 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Fyi you can use the S13 Braided PS hoses. Less failure points, more durable hose, firmer steering and really cleans up that mess of lines at the shock tower. Goes directly from pump to rack, fits like a charm

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
3/28/21 10:38 a.m.

In reply to ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter) :

Good to know, I will keep it in mind if the one I bought starts leaking!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
3/28/21 10:38 a.m.
docwyte said:

Didn't want to swap the racy red valve cover onto the new engine?

Its on the list of things to do.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
4/11/21 8:26 p.m.

In preparation for the upcoming sr20 convention i decided to repair the cars cracked dashboard.

I pulled the dashboard out which took about one hour.  

In order to repair the cracks the cracks had to be ground down.

The cracks were then filled in with melted plastic from a plastic welding kit.

Then dashboard filler was added.

It took three coats and some spot putty but eventually it was ready for the texture coat.

SEM texture was applied in several light coats and then it was top coated landau black.

Reinstalling the dash took 2 hours.  I even successfully used all the screws I took out.  No leftovers...

Really stoked with the results.  Its hard to tell it was ever cracked.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CZZCJYCBsXBSNrSqOEfSgHJ0iIwSbl2FML7Uor8IfWPUclpdpfTGZUYedk5ztYT2