3 4 5 6
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/1/21 3:31 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

I guess in my case it's a sleeper because once I put the stock airbox back in the engine bay looks basically stock, the stock cat back is on the car and with the exception of a set of wheels and a knock off oettinger rear wing, it looks completely stock too.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
3/2/21 7:19 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Understandable. To what I refer is - can a Golf R ever be a "sleeper"?  Though as far as what you said, I get that.  Sleeper "stock" R......lol

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/2/21 8:13 a.m.

In reply to bonylad :

I would, especially since it looks like a Golf with the exception of a small "R" badge and the 4 exhaust tips...

bonylad
bonylad Reader
3/3/21 7:46 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I suppose so? Just depends on who is looking. lol.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
3/30/21 7:04 a.m.

Hope to do some updates here soon. I am currently running a IE Stage 2 tune. Runs amazing!  

I went back to the Stage 2 93 tune v2.09 without the crackle.  That E36 M3 was obnoxious......

Almost have all the parts to reinstall the complete stock intake!  Thanks to Matthew Getz for the parts!  

Also ordered parts to do a lug stud conversion!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
6/8/21 11:32 a.m.

Not a lot of progress recently. Really just enjoying the car. It has decent power and handles great!  I may get some Raceland coil overs and may go to a 18 inch stock wheel. I feel the car looks better with those. As is. I am happy. The car hasn't ever hit fuel cut. I have replace the cam follower twice now. Not as a needed thing but because I don't ever wanna get bit again with that issue. Happy to report no wear. 

Did some improvements though. Removed the wheel bolts and replaced with lug studs. So much happier. 

I have been staying on top of maintenance as well. Recent oil change with a Mann filter and some Eneos oil. 

I love the car. It's great. Other than a clunking noise in the rear which will be sorted with suspension it's perfect mechanical wise. Needs a little love outside. Stay tuned!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/18/21 6:18 p.m.

Still running great. Currently on a stage 2 tune v2.09. Runs perfect. I did E36 M3 a ignition coil and went back to stock ones. Also I upgraded the intake piping from the inlet. 

It sucks.  Literally. Pulls quite a breeze over your hand at idle. Easy to undo if weather gets bad and the roads flood. Stilllllll waiting on the meth kit. Long story but hope it works out. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/22/21 7:08 a.m.

I may go back to a conventional style intake. 

Reasons for?

I need to lower the heat on the coils. And a plastic heat soaked intake cover isn't helping. 
I need better accessibility. Plus even through I like my intake setup it is making me paranoid about ingesting water or what have you. 

All this because one of my coils died. It was an original I slapped on cause my eBay coil died. Picked up new red top Bosch coils. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/27/21 6:42 a.m.

Got my meth kit. Rather odd situation. I got it originally from a guy who shipped it and somehow it got damaged in the mail and the UPS wouldn't release it or whatever. Said it was damaged and discarded. So. I'm screwed right? I had made a trade via mail in good faith and the seller did his part only for the whole thing to go south due to UPS damaging a package. So I'm talking to my brother from another mother and he's like that sucks.......

Couple days goes by and he tells me my kit is on the way!  Turns out for my bday he went and blessed me with a never used (damaged box) meth kit exactly like the one I was getting. So happy and thankful for this!  Guy who originally was shipping me the kit (used) is now ordering me 4 gallons of boost juice so this worked out!  

Trying to figure out the best way to install. Leaning towards pulling the bumper and tucking most of it behind the bumper. Though more work would look clean. Alternative is install most of it on a plate/bracket in the hatch area so it's on display and serviceable.  Plus better protection from the elements. Fairly sure I can install it all and make it look great!  So. Hide it or show it?  

Pic of the kit in box. Will update further in. Waiting on a different intake. 

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle New Reader
7/30/21 11:51 a.m.

bonylad, not to stray to far off topic but, I've been reading through your build threads for quite some time now, your S10 build has me scheming a 383/Chinese turbo build to terrorize the Honda Bois with at my local strip. I wanted you to know when you think you're just typing into the void that at least my eyeballs are watching and reading. Your updates are great, well written and its nice to see someone taking pictures with something more then the standard 2001 Potato Cam. I have 4-5 potential build threads sitting in my driveway and will be using your threads, among others, as reference to how to do them right.  Also, to make my first contribution to the community, I read this article some time ago and thought you might find it interesting. I'm not sure how relevant it might be to your specific model of GTI but its food for thought. The author said it transformed the handling of his car. 

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39220/how-i-cut-my-gtis-weight-where-it-matters-most-unsprung-and-rotational-mass#:~:text=Difference%3A%201.8%20pounds%20per%20side,upright%3A%209.4%20pounds%20per%20side&text=Difference%3A%203%20pounds%20per%20side,pounds%20unsprung%20non%2Drotating%20weight

Hopefully it helps opens some some previously unexplored avenues. Keep up the great work.  

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/1/21 5:09 p.m.

Installed the K&N Typhoon intake. Painted the pipe to accent. Wrapped with reflective heat tape. On the fence. Looks good and performs better but idk?

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/1/21 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Sgt_Sizzle :

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah I wonder sometimes if I'm not just as you said.....typing into the void so to speak. I will check that out and I do appreciate the feedback! Have you posted any of your projects?  I'd like to take a look if so.

I appreciate the input and if I come across a car that has those parts I'll take a stab at it.  Right now after this is done I plan to do some appearance tweaking. 

Thanks!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/1/21 7:09 p.m.

Spent some time getting to work in the meth kit. I figured I'd put it here as it's installed in a place that's replaceable. I'm not just making holes that can't be repaired short of a body shop. Plus it's protected from the elements and adds a point of interest in the car 

So. Here we go. 

Holes made and M6x1.0 riv nuts installed. Tank mocked up and pump as well. Lines should be nice and tidy. Wiring and all lines will be tucked in sheathing to the front.  Goal is under hood wise nothing to see. All tucked. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/1/21 7:22 p.m.

Another jam packed post! Not really but in effort to improve the over all driveability I ordered this. Replaces the whole dv valve and gfb fb+. 

This is a Turbosmart plumb back DV. Replaces the whole thing and this actually holds boost more so as boost increases. Plumb back as I don't want any weird mess as the boost is vented and causes afrs to go nuts. Efffient.  Woot. 

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle New Reader
8/2/21 10:22 a.m.

In reply to bonylad :

No build posts yet, time/money/motivation, the regular excuses. I also prefer to get the cars near done and documented then post at regular intervals, that way it doesn't go dormant for however long due to parts hunting or what not. I do have a mini build of the plow mount for my Cobalt that I may test the waters with. That meth kit install looks profesh, this thing is going to be a ton of fun when all tuned up. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/4/21 6:52 a.m.

In reply to Sgt_Sizzle :

I'd like to see that! I had a ss/sc cobalt once.  Fun ass car!  Thank you for the kind words!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/4/21 6:57 a.m.

Mounted the pump!  Not sure if it's level as I'm ocd about that. Some angles it looks "off". 

Next phase is the fit the fittings and lines in the back and then mount the pressure switch and relay for the pump under hood  

solfly
solfly Dork
8/4/21 7:07 a.m.

When I ran methanol I hid all the goodies in an empty sub box.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/4/21 11:11 a.m.

Pump is mounted and first line ran. Sealed and tightened. Will water test it later. So far as wiring I will go ahead and get so many feet of wire and solder the ends. Sheath it or wrap it to the front. Rear is pretty much done except the last line ran to the front. Woot.  

Angle of photo looks off but is 95 percent level  and I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid.  Looks good?

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/5/21 6:08 a.m.

Woot. More parts. The Turbosmart BOV came in. Smaller than I thought but wow. Looks cool!

A sticker?  Mmmmmmm......

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle New Reader
8/6/21 8:06 a.m.

That sticker is worth horsepower, dont knock it.....

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/7/21 1:00 p.m.

I had so much fun the first time replacing the dv. I just had to do it again! Installed the Turbosmart plumb back diverter valve. Solid piece. Only pic I have. Will update once I get to driver it. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/8/21 2:23 p.m.

I couldn't. My inner child ricer was silenced by the grown up wtf I had when I looked at the intake. Soooooo. Stripped. Bare aluminum. Soooo much better. 

The blow off valve is actually a nice addition.

I want to say I didn't notice any performance benefits because the one I had before hand was  working perfectly but I will tell you it certainly is making all the right noises that make the boy racer in me happy.  between this, the intake and the crackle tune it can go from subtle and low key to obnoxious in no time!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/8/21 2:37 p.m.

I went back to the stock airbox on my R.  The intake was just too loud, I liked it at first but then it began to bug me.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
8/8/21 5:00 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I got it for a good enough deal so I figured why not

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mMIMNAzrKTNzXNjKVdD41eCK3xVJ5q5zBWAQfgHRQsiBLmGVJnavDN8WmztYnyCB