AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
8/25/13 11:16 a.m.

I sold my S197 mustang, my 964 is in fine running order as is the corvair.. now it's time to turn some attention to the Velam Isetta Ive had for 20 years, thats been in my family for 50 years.

Since velam is oddball and I have no intentions of attempting to keep it stock I am going to go with a bike motor, and I think a single rear axle

yes I have seen the one with the rx7 motor in person at the challenge..

My thought is a GSXR1000 motor with a single rear tire / swing arm and use 4 wheeler front suspension with shortened A-arms, stock knuckles and disc brakes..

I can't think of a way to run dual rear wheels as I am very space limited...

any thoughts?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/25/13 11:23 a.m.

It's gonna be like a more badass version of a T-rex.... I approve.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
8/25/13 11:29 a.m.

dual rears w/ box flares ftw

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
8/25/13 11:43 a.m.

I don't really want to cut it but that would keep life easy.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
8/25/13 12:15 p.m.

Will definitely be watching this one! Steve Urkel approves

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
8/25/13 12:23 p.m.

A K1200 bmw has reverse in some years, it's shaft driven so I could use a 4 wheeler rear diff... Motors are cheap, 130hp and fairly compact. I am going to measure a friends motor this week to see if it's viable

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/25/13 12:30 p.m.

How wide is the front track? Miatae are about 62" to the outside of the front tires and the top of the subframe mounts are about 31" wide. Miata front subframe and a complete bike back half is where my brain would go.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
8/25/13 12:39 p.m.

just measured - 57" wide from the outside of the tires

smashed smart cars are in abundance on ebay..

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
8/25/13 1:44 p.m.

Love the idea, but a three wheeler with such a short wheelbase and a roof sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Since you said ATV front suspension, why not an ATV rear axle. The axle would probaby fit as-is or it can easily shortened.

You could find a smached Raptor 660, use the front and rear suspensions, swap in a R1 engine (documented) and sell of the 660 engine.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
8/25/13 6:24 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

And I'll add to the ATV axle idea(it's a good one), that most(?) use a 4x140 bolt pattern, allowing you to use Subaru 13s, or Peugeot 14/15s.

Gixxer1k in an Isetta sounds horrifying.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
8/26/13 3:00 p.m.

+1 for the ATV rear axle idea.

A literbike engine in an Isetta would be tons of fun for donuts and burnouts, but if that power ever hooked up...yeah it would be horrifying.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NfjqOgQGgtyM2XLo6IXfRKqClL8cUwyPMMEwcFKqqaw1q9lVoRKNg6OcXU0jHCHz