1 2
WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
8/8/18 10:35 p.m.

So this thread is a bit overdue but about a month ago I picked up my $2018 Challenge entry - a 1985 Ford LTD Country Squire! 

It originally came from California, and spent the past year or so sitting on the side of a quiet road in Austin, TX once the electrical gremlins became too much for the prior owner to handle. She said it wouldn't hold a charge and when we started it up for a test drive it was belching black smoke out the exhaust and dumping soot everywhere, like so much soot. This was from idling for about 30 seconds:

But, other than not wanting to start and actively attempting to murder the earth once it did start, everything seemed to be in great shape, so a deal was struck and we returned the next day with $900 and a bucket of fluids and tools, hopeful that we could get it running well enough to drive the 120 miles or so back to Waco. 

A new tank of gas solved the smoke problem (it was literally running on fumes evidently) but it quickly became evident that something was draining our battery, even when driving, and the car kept stalling out (it's TBI so unfortunately you need some juice to run). Turns out the new alternator the PO put in was not charging, so despite the temptation to try and throw a new alternator (and potentially several more parts) at it in downtown Austin, better judgment prevailed and we towed it home. It pays to have friends with trucks:

Also Ford really went wild with the wood grain, even the roof rack got some!

Back home in the safety of the driveway, it was time to decrustify. The whole thing actually cleans up pretty well, other than some rough patches in the interior and a little dent in the side it's in great shape.

Some diagnosis revealed that all the alternator wiring was good, and the voltage regulator seemed to be good so I guess the reman alternator the PO got was just a dud. Since the old 1G alternator that came on the wagon originally is basically a garbage fire, I decided to swap up to a 3G alternator out of a 94 Taurus I found at the junkyard. 30 bucks and some grinding of the original mounting point and we gained reliability and an extra 45 amps or so over the old setup. This solved the main issue and now the car was running right but Texas has safety inspections so we had to address the other electrical problem: the windshield wipers came on when you turn the headlights on. We spent a good afternoon fiddling with the multifunctional switch on the steering column, the body wiring, the lightbulbs, and several other bits before realizing it would make sense to try putting a new ground on the whole lighting system. Lo and behold that solved all the problems so I am now street legal and fully tagged and the old squire is running great on my commute.

The plan is to try and put some get up and go into the tired old 302 now, and try to make the whole thing handle slightly more like a road-going vehicle rather than an ocean vessel. I snagged an Edelbrock Performer upper/lower intake manifold with the associated fuel injectors and rails so I need to make another trip to the junkyard to get the wiring and brains out of a multiport EFI 302. That, removing the 80's smog gear, and throwing a cam at it should help wake up the engine enough to get us to Gainesville on time. The research I've done makes me believe (foolishly?) that I should be able to throw on newer P71 suspension parts with relative ease to help with the whole rolly-polly turning situation. At the very least some new dampers and sway bars will make a world of difference.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/9/18 8:13 a.m.

Not cool, Dude...

wink

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/9/18 12:07 p.m.

Yes!!! What's the curb weight on that tank?

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
8/11/18 12:02 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

The internet say 3973 lbs and I'm inclined to believe that. It will do skids simply due to the massive weight transfer when you throw it into a turn. In short, it's freaking glorious.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
8/11/18 5:01 a.m.

Watching with a vested interest. 

As far as suspension, the hot ticket for Box Panther springs seems to be the hobby stock circle track springs that Speedway Motors sells.  Cheap, new, and a variety of spring rates. (The Speedway link is for the front; this link is for the Pigtail Rear Springs)

Don't forget upgraded shocks of the correct length, or you will end up with an ill-handling mess. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
8/11/18 6:30 a.m.

Oh, and I forgot.  The #925 on the front and #200 on the rear (some use #175, but I think those are mostly sedan owners) gives about 1" drop f&r.  Make sure you have a good alignment shop.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/11/18 7:42 a.m.

Nice!  I've been coveting something like that to replace my truck.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
8/11/18 2:54 p.m.

Interesting you went with that thread title, instead of:

"I've got a Challenging Woody for 2018"

now to go back and read about a fine country squire

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
8/11/18 3:27 p.m.
Cooter said:

hot ticket for Box Panther springs seems to be the hobby stock circle track springs that Speedway Motors sells.  Cheap, new, and a variety of spring rates. (The Speedway link is for the front; this link is for the Pigtail Rear Springs)

Don't forget upgraded shocks of the correct length, or you will end up with an ill-handling mess. 

+1.

'Family Truckster' (I think) on this forum had one of these he autocrossed.  I drove it on R comps on a tight (terrible) course and it was surprisingly fun - and I put down a top 10 ten raw time.  IIRC he had something like a bigger front bar, 1000# springs up front, stock rears, and longer rear shocks to allow more droop.  

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
10/10/18 11:11 a.m.

Whew, it's been a minute. Time and budget constraints got in the way of getting much done in terms of upgrades, and we've been fighting electrical gremlins at every turn. Had the car working perfectly yesterday morning ready for a roadtrip today to get us to the challenge. Then in my infinite wisdom I hooked up the tach to the positive side of the coil and now we're dead in the water. Blew a fuse in the windshield wiper circuit which I replaced and now we have a good starter, good solenoid, and nothing other than the starter hooked up but still no cranking. Currently trying to chase every wire we can to figure out where we might have melted something or crossed some wires but we're kind of at our wits end. I'm still holding onto the optimistic view that we have 36 hours to get to Florida still; plenty of time to figure out what's going on and hit the road. Any experts out there on TBI Fords? The wiring on this thing is an absolute nightmare, everything seems to tie into everything else so when one piece fails the whole car goes down.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
10/10/18 3:29 p.m.

TBI Fords: did you redo your block to body grounds? I chased this for months on a 84 t'bird after some work I did on it.

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
10/10/18 11:12 p.m.

Yep - Turns out we had a bad battery cable going to ground. Cleaned off the contacts and tightened it down and we were good to go. Currently in Lafayette, LA because it started dying on us - I think its the fuel filter. This thing sat for at least a year before I bought it and today was the first time I filled it up since I brought it home. Kicking myself for not thinking of that before we left but we're a mile from O'Reilly's so we can grab one in the morning and hopefully hit the road pretty quick.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/11/18 2:31 a.m.

good luck, keep on family truckstering!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/11/18 5:12 a.m.

Real nice, Clark

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/11/18 5:47 a.m.

In reply to WhiteAndGold :

I’m in Biloxi if you need anything. Seth is picking me up around 2:30, but if your repair goes quick you’ll be passing through before he arrives. 765-714-2935

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
10/11/18 10:07 a.m.

Thanks Pete, looks like we should be good now... Should. Evidently the TPS was bad so unplugging that solved all our stalling issues for the time being. Getting ready to get back on the road, hopefully we'll be in Gainesville around 10pm

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/11/18 10:10 a.m.

In case you haven’t checked, I10 eastbound is still showing closed at Defuniak Springs, with about an 80-mile detour(that I’m presuming is mostly a parking lot).

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
10/11/18 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Well we got one exit down the road and it died again so we're still stuck. TPS was the problem before because it still sputters horribly if it's plugged in. Now it just dies out of nowhere, no sputter, no shake or anything. Not really sure what's up with it now

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/11/18 1:59 p.m.

:( I wish I could offer some tips, but I don’t know Ford fuel injection at all. 

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
10/11/18 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I didn't bolt down the Tfi module right enough so we were getting intermittent spark. We're almost to Florida now, curious to see how the roads are ahead and how bad the detour might be. 

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
10/11/18 6:08 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

Interesting you went with that thread title, instead of:

"I've got a Challenging Woody for 2018"

now to go back and read about a fine country squire

I might have also gone with "Come see my Woody at the Challenge. its huge!" but i have an inventive dirty mind

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/11/18 7:24 p.m.

Update when you arrive please.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/12/18 11:18 a.m.

saw them lined up for a pass in the second livestream

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
10/12/18 12:41 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Did it get a run in any of the livestream yet? I'd love to watch that wallow through. Glad they made it.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/12/18 12:48 p.m.

I haven't been able to devote enough time to the livestreams to give you an answer.  I think they swiveled away from it before it launched in the second stream I mentioned above.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8RDfzW7nvci0kpXfOLseCAF7kmuarsiegP7krzxssxWKxU9hWYsMsdEJo69okhWE