1 2 3
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
10/27/18 10:06 p.m.

Thanks everyone.  Now I've completely lost it.  You can see the ad for this car here:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/1995-mustang-gt-amta/144134/page1/

The car is priced so well for all the pieces that are there, I've decided to go for it.  The first big hurdle is distance.  The car is 1800 miles away from DFW, but I've booked a 1 way flight and a rental truck and trailer to get it all home.  It was that or drive my truck both ways to get all of the spare parts that are associated with the car and bumpers.  Having a shipper do all this on a non-running car would be a disaster to arrange and probably more expensive.  The great news is that none of this logistical nightmare affects my $2019 challenge budget.

Given the parts I am obtaining and the car itself, I have lots of ways to play this challenge.

I know it won't be fast enough in a straight line or around cones for the overall win.  I just don't have those kinds of fab skills.

1)  Build it up going with 200TW tires and go for the CAM class.  Or run it on 300TW and see where it falls in the CAM class and use the full budget mostly on suspension, but add a wee bit of power too.

The main concern I have after seeing all the photos is some crustiness underneath.  I'm hoping it's solid enough that some POR15 or Eastwood products can stop most of that stuff.  If it's really bad, I may be looking for a TX chassis with blown engine and be essentially starting with two parts cars. 

1)  The general plan is to get the car running as is for as little effort and work as possible.  Once driving figure out what the major issues are and what needs to be repaired.

2)  Get fresh tires, brakes and other maintenance items out of the way.  Install C/C plates, find a panhard bar on the cheap and get it to the local autoX and see what happens.  Ideally, I'd be just buying tires for this project once that will last from purchase to challenge. 

3)  Add power once running.  I have heads and intake and some other parts to swap that will help on the power end.  I can also run a short belt for the drags.  I could strip out the A/C, P/S and some other items to cut weight too.  Last item might be a budget cam for more power or even a budget nitrous kit to get down the 1/4.  I'm thinking 13s are realistic for this car, possibly a high 12 if all the stars fall into line for me. 

4)  Some sort of low budget paint job or plastidip to make the exterior more presentable. 

Here is a teaser pic of the interior that I got today.  Flight is next Saturday and the car and I should be back in TX by Tuesday. 

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
10/27/18 10:25 p.m.

That's a lot of car for the money. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
10/27/18 10:38 p.m.

Yeah, I'd say he's getting a pretty good deal laugh

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
10/27/18 10:57 p.m.
Stampie said:

That's a lot of car for the money. 

You have no idea..... if I let all of the cat out of the bag, there might be some hairballs spit out.  Some of the parts I was considering for this build are already included and high quality, big name Mustang vendors, not fleabay knockoffs.  If anyone sees a used or never installed MM panhard bar for one of these, I NEED to know about it ASAP.  I'm also on the hunt for lightly used or never installed Koni sports too.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
10/27/18 11:38 p.m.

didn't ChrisFix do a 'driftstang'? smiley

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
10/28/18 11:33 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Yes tons of videos on youtube.  It’s an sn95 4.6 car.  It’s a close cousin but different engine and ecu system.  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
10/29/18 10:15 p.m.

Flyin out Saturday to pick all of this up and haul it home using rental truck. Any advice as a first year GRM challenge build?  Go cheap for 1k / CAM and 300 TW, gpod, and see what its all about?  Go in deeper for 200TW and go all in at $2k and see how poorly I can do overall?  

Step 1 will be drop and clean fuel system buy a battery and get it running.  Step 2 will be refresh brakes and fluids.  Step 3 install some of suspension mods acquired  with car.  Step 4 baseline power, drag ET and autocross.  Step 5 plan upgrades and retest.  Step 6 make it as pretty as possible within budget.  

And so far this looks like it’s going to be a one man show.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/30/18 5:40 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Do what needs done to make it running/driving/safe, and hopefully have enough time to take to some local events & make a couple drag strip passes before bringing it to Gainesville next year. 

Anything else can be your projects for subsequent years. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/3/18 11:31 p.m.

The adventure has begun. I flew to Lewiston this morning, met stanger-missle, and bought the car.  We loaded it and now it’s with me in Boise.  Hope to be back in DFW Monday.  Then my storage problems increase.  Here are photos to document things to date.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/4/18 5:27 a.m.

Definitely going to be following this build. This car was a great deal and a good solid start for a project. Don't throw out those seats or any interior pieces, nice black interior stuff isn't easy to find so probably be easy to sell.

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
11/4/18 11:47 a.m.

What part of DFW are you in? I'm in Ft Worth and have plenty of storage space and a lift if you are interested.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/4/18 9:09 p.m.

Pattyo I’m in Dallas at Bush and Coit Rd by UTD.  We need to meet up for lunch one day for sure.

P.S.  We clearly need to go to a Rangers game together.  I’ve been sporting my Rangers memorial day cap the whole trip (verifiable too).

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/4/18 9:19 p.m.

How's the trip going? Are you home safe now? (Obviously you are posting so, not doing too bad I'm sure)

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/4/18 9:21 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

The interior in this SN95 is simply stunning.  Sadly looking today there is more rust than I thought.  Since it’s way low the radiator support was bent pulling in the fenders and the hood doesn’t close well.  I’m still happy with the purchase.  As I build and reveal all the goodies, you all will be mad for not jumping on it.  Stanger missle and his dad were great too.  I always have fun around fellow vets.

I also saw my old boss from my 2nd submarine in Boise for breakfast this morning.  The scenery was incredible today too.  I forgot in the 20+ yrs since my last trip.  This time iphone captures it on the fly!

And this is 100% true.  I an stuck in Rawlibs Wyoming now due to high winds.  I-80 closed to light high aspect ratio vehicles.  Over 20 years ago I saw trucks blown over here and I don’t want to be one!  I guess I should’ve kept south at ogden instead of east.....

Teaser trip pics.....  If you’ve never driven the Northwest, you should.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/4/18 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

read post....  long way from Dallas still and this truck loves unleaded.

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
11/4/18 9:35 p.m.

You are about 50 miles from my shop but the offer still stands if you need a place to drop a parts car or three. I have a 2 acre spot off of I20 by I35w.

Either way I would love to meet up and grab a bite or catch a game. The one good thing about the Rangers being terrible is good seats are pretty cheap. 

Enjoy the rest of your trip, hopefully the wind will switch to a tailwind.

Patrick

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/4/18 10:23 p.m.
Pattyo said:

You are about 50 miles from my shop but the offer still stands if you need a place to drop a parts car or three. I have a 2 acre spot off of I20 by I35w.

Either way I would love to meet up and grab a bite or catch a game. The one good thing about the Rangers being terrible is good seats are pretty cheap. 

Patrick

Wow; this forum and it’s members are amazing.  Actually, if I could drop this car off at your place for about a month, I need to sell my 91 ZR-1 to make space.  I only have a two car garage.  3 car garage houses in Dallas proper are way out of my price range.  I already store a car at work (pay for that).  I need to get the ZR-1 sold and keep our driver p car at work.  I have an all weather cover for my Miata.  I park my truck out front and leave a spot open for my wife in driveway and garage.  

I’m looking for a good four post to put the Miata on top eventually.

jj
jj HalfDork
11/5/18 12:32 p.m.

Looking forward to watching this build!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/5/18 1:45 p.m.

I’m south of Denver now and out of the slick windy conditions.  Smooth sailing from here.  I will stop in Amarillo tonight, watch the cowboys on tv (low expectations) and get back to Dallas at lunchtime tomorrow.  The real cost of this adventure is high but it’s only $500 in  $2019 challenge.  This weekend was the only way this would work too.  My daughters birthday party is next weekend and in two weeks the route I took will be way worse.

Here’s what I had this morning.  It was much worse than this in spots, but you can’t snap photos then.  Slipping across little bridges isn’t my idea of a good time.  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/5/18 2:46 p.m.

how filthy she is now from trip so far

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
11/5/18 5:37 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:
Pattyo said:

Patrick

Wow; this forum and it’s members are amazing.  Actually, if I could drop this car off at your place for about a month, I need to sell my 91 ZR-1 to make space.  I only have a two car garage.  3 car garage houses in Dallas proper are way out of my price range.  I already store a car at work (pay for that).  I need to get the ZR-1 sold and keep our driver p car at work.  I have an all weather cover for my Miata.  I park my truck out front and leave a spot open for my wife in driveway and garage.  

I’m looking for a good four post to put the Miata on top eventually.

Sure! My number is 817.893.764 two. I'll be at my shop until 5ish unless you need me to stay later.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/5/18 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Pattyo :

I should make DFW at lunchtime tomorrow.  I’m in Amarillo now.  I will call you when I’m on the north side of Ft. Worth.  You can see the package yourself and tell me if I did okay or am insane.  I realized today it would have been really hard for me to find a car further away in CONUS....  Seattle is about it.  LA, closer, NY, closer, etc.

P.S.  I will be calling from a 940 230 number.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/6/18 5:05 p.m.

Made it to pattyo’s today and dropped off the car.  He has a super nice 240z resto in progress and lots of z car parts.  Now I know a z car guy too!  Thanks!

Got the truck and parts back home.  Truck is empty and I’m about to return it.  I may snap some photos of the boxes of goodies and post them up this week.

Google had it as an 1,870 mike drive.  I did a tad over 2,000 to miss some roads with the truck and trailer.

A few photos from yesterday and today.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/7/18 11:43 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

You drove right past me on your way through Northern Utah! That rock feature is called "The Devil's Slide"

Slow5oh
Slow5oh
11/7/18 12:06 p.m.

Looks like a cool project car and a fun trip.  I picked up a 95 GTS a couple months ago and am slowly doing things here and there.  Mine was a little pricier but cleaner as well.  Still half the price of a Foxbody in the same shape haha.  

I'd be pretty interested to see that dyno result.  I previously had an 08 Bullitt.  While the 95 certainly isn't as fast, its not really a slouch either.  

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
TxBiZGmcsXFB9LBhLMCztbpF4IFZmfUmzwiTXwruWjNa86WpNRXLtqWjv9yZquN7