1 2 3 4 5
Norma66
Norma66 Reader
11/22/18 7:37 p.m.

I have a interest in this generation mustang. Would love to get one and 351w swap it

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/22/18 8:53 p.m.

In reply to jj :

It's a stock 5 speed car.  It should be 3.08 in the rear.  I have a built 3.73 in the black car.  That's how I will go and I should have decently long legs in 3rd gear for autoX that way.  I guess I could find the spreadsheet I helped build years ago floating around on the internet and find out the final mph.....  but nah, it'll do just fine :).

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/22/18 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Norma66 :

I may do a Cobra R clone sort of after the challenge.  I'd have to go with a 427 cubic inch Windsor if I do a 351W based swap or I may just go 363, but either way that's post challenge which is a low priority right now.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/23/18 2:27 p.m.

Here is to hoping that ultimately I can find a way to fit this into the budget.....  same specs as the much lauded TFS stage 1 cam.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/24/18 5:41 p.m.

Bonus car has Eibach swaybars!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/24/18 8:36 p.m.

So now when I take a week off in December I can start in the actual work part of this project.  And the saddest part is both cars have cracked windshields.  That I did not expect or know about.  Since CAM requires a car to be registered road legal that is an issue.  

Also the major chink in progress this week was Jr “hitting a curb” in his Focus.  I replaced the steering inner tie rod and sway bar end link but it turns out the control arm is bent too....  waiting on a new LCA with ball joint now.  He still needs to find a new wheel.  I’m not doing everything.  Here is the carnage.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/25/18 11:41 a.m.

94 is home.  I have a decent complete running, driving and stopping challenge car.  When do the entries start?  Now I need a team name and theme too.  First up will be making it a bit more nice inside and user friendly.  Then the suspension stockpile gets installed.  After that I can see if more hp is in the budget or if I can trade for it.

Next decision is 300TW tires and drive it to challenge or 200 TW and tow it back and forth.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/25/18 11:44 a.m.

If your alignment is good then driving to/from on 200tw is fine. I did One Lap in 2015 on RS3's. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/25/18 1:41 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

These cars need lots of negative camber to autoX well.  It’ll be a concern, and rain on 200 TW isn’t fun.  I’m getting old and fall towards a more conservative approach at times.  I’m thinking the 240 potenza s007 might be a way to go for this.  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/2/18 11:25 p.m.

Jr’s Focus is back on the road and not in front of my house anymore....  I get to help him do brakes soon too.  He needs to stop hooning and jumping curbs.  I have my own cars to work on. Here is his old and new lower control arm.  It got an alignment and bent strut replaced too.  A curb hit = tie rod + sway bar link + wheel + contol arm + strut......  impressive.

Did look over the 94 more today.  Eibach front sway bar plus cold air kit and flowmaster mufflers.  Everything else is eerily stock.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/7/18 3:33 p.m.

Picked up some parts today on eBay using the 10% off coupon.  I got a new timing chain, 24lb injectors, a Moates F3 chip, and a short belt (bypass A/C, P/S, and smog for drag racing) for cheap.  I know need a gasket set to install the heads and intake from the parts car with the cam.  I'm praying for no valve float......  If I have valve float I'm going to need to do some trading for sure or go back to the stock cam. 

I will be tuning the chip myself to run the larger injectors. I may also turn off some things I won't need (EGR, etc.)  I went to Moates' two day class a few years ago, and am not afraid to adjust the code in my Mustang.  It's easier and cheaper than messing with other people's tuners or modified MAF sensors.  It's only $67 with the 10% coupon, and I can burn the chip as many times as I like and none of the equipment to do it is actually on the car (hence budget exempt).  I also saved a ton on the belt, as I found a MOPAR equivalent.  I will have at least one MOPAR branded part on my Ford. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/7/18 4:12 p.m.

I’ve been running 240 TW tires for four years and several thousand miles at 3 degrees negative camber, zero toe is the key.   Those miles include a few hundred HDPE laps I only wish they would wear out faster to I can get some stickier ones.

1992 Mustang GT for reference.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/7/18 4:24 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I’ve been running 240 TW tires for four years and several thousand miles at 3 degrees negative camber, zero toe is the key.   Those miles include a few hundred HDPE laps I only wish they would wear out faster to I can get some stickier ones.

1992 Mustang GT for reference.

Thank you for the guidance on tires!  I'm seriously considering S007s or RE71s instead or maybe even Federal 595 RS-RRs if I want to go cheap.  I'm going to be limited in size to fit the wheels I have though, but your guidance really helps my decision to go 200TW to 240TW. 

And for anyone following along Rockauto had the gaskets I needed for $50 roughly.  I bought head bolts for $20, but I'm hoping I can reuse the factory ones instead and save that money for something else. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/20/18 11:30 a.m.

For anyone that hasn't lost interest yet, this is going to be a long term post challenge project too.  This week I drove the car around a bit and replaced the 4.5 rib serpentine belt with an actual 6 rib belt.  I also arranged to go back over to PattyO's after Christmas and start working on the black '95 to get what I can out of that car.  I will start posting real photos then which will slowly reveal everything I scored from stanger_missle.  To say he was generous was an understatement.  In DFW his car would've been worth a lot more to a lot of people namely a guy that parts out Mustangs here that I know of. 

I also scored a Ford E303 cam off ebay for $140 shipped, which is an $80 savings over the other one I bought.  This will help squeeze the timing chain and needed gaskets into the budget.   This weekend I'm going to take apart a few cylinders on the GT40 heads I got from stanger_missle and work with a valve spring expert to get something budget friendly that will work for me (I hope).  The E303 cam isn't as good as the one I bought, but it should work okay.  I will be inspecting the ebay cam and posting head photos this weekend most likely now that the new house garage is 95% ready for work! 

My son's Focus is killing me.  Electrically it's bad.  His alternator was bad which ate a battery.  His mom and step dad pitched in to buy a new alternator but it had a different plug.  They crimped in a new plug, but that plug probably added resistance and sent a low voltage to the ECU.  New alternator put out enough juice to fry the fusible link in the power wire.  I have new wiring on the way from battery to starter and alternator and battery to ground...... and I'm getting the old alternator rebuilt locally.  I'm hoping to be free of Jr's Focus this weekend or by the 25th.  On a Focus to remove the alternator you have to remove the bolt on the engine torque mount and rotate the engine to make enough clearance to clear the crossmember.... fun times. 

LONG TERM post challenge.... I have negotiated to pick up a used '03 Cobra full IRS from disc to disc at the end of January.  I will be putting this in the car post challenge for future use.  After studying all of the "solutions" for the fixed axle this really isn't much more dollar wise and it'll make the car more unique and better for a wider envelope of road and track conditions.  The thread title may need to be updated next winter.  302 days until the challenge for anyone counting.  302.... hmm I wonder if that number means anything to my project. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/27/18 7:15 p.m.

Okay today we started in earnest on pulling apart the '95 purchased from stanger-missile.  I also found $2.87 in loose change (have photo for challenge) and it is now a $497.13 parts car.  I can only recoup $497.13 from it, but I can recoup another $2.87 on my actual challenge white car.... don't think it'll matter, but rules are rules. 

PattyO (Patrick) was a huge help and way generous with his time and effort today.  I have offered to let him autocross and drag race the car some this year and help me get it tested pre-challenge.  I need the seat time too since it's been a long time since I did either.  We got the car into his shop on the lift and stripped out the exhaust, drained all fluids and pulled the transmission.  We have the engine near ready to remove but ran into a few issues.  I will grab a few other tools from my house, and head back and get the engine out tomorrow and work on getting the interior and side mirrors which I need for the challenge car.

We have a cold air kit to sell, a full aftermarket exhaust to sell, alternator to sell, will have shocks to sell once we get the suspension and have wiring and electronic modules, hood, fenders and ECU etc.  Hopefully I can keep most of the cool parts and have my parts care at a $0 balance soon.  I'd like to keep the engine and trans as spares if possible.  I have to decide to put to the cam and GT40 heads on the parts car engine or the running challenge car engine, but that's a few months off still.  The first order of business is to part out the parts car and get the suspension installed in the challenge car so it can be driven in anger.

I took a few photos today to document the goodies being removed from the parts car.  Yes, that's a full exhaust system sans cats (can you say sweet 5.0 sounds).  Yes, I got two full catbacks and have the factory tailipipes too.  The suprise of the day that I didn't know or had forgotten about:  FORD RACING ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT!!!!  Yes I sure hope I can get to a zero balance and keep that. 

I also found out the radiator was bent with the front radiator core support.  The front end damage on the parts car was pretty severe and the rust from the bare subframe connectors was also pretty severe.  A lot of things underneath the car are crusty. 

I also figured out I have 17x9s all around.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/27/18 9:05 p.m.

I spy a Lakewood drag shock on the front of the black car. Check the part number and see if they are 70/30 or 90/10, I know they used to offer them both ways.

If one of the catbacks has chambered mufflers, sell it and keep the SLP. Looks like a Mac or Dynomax muffler but hard to tell from the picture. Had a Magnaflow catback on my Fox-body with shorty headers and off-road x-pipe. I just never cared for the sound of chambered mufflers on a 5.0.

Looks like a great parts pile though.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/27/18 9:17 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

Very astute observations!  Yes the car has Lakewoods with lots of life left in them which I will be selling soon.  The chambered is a Mac and yes I will be running the SLP exhaust!  I hate chambered mufflers in general.  I also just ordered an engine cradle from Summit that I will pick up tomorrow.  It's a much safer way to store an engine than an engine stand. 

jj
jj HalfDork
12/28/18 10:40 a.m.

I have a MAC on mine and do not care for the sound at all. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/28/18 7:39 p.m.

Today PattyO and I did more dismantling. The engine is out, front fenders are off, ECU out, wiring harness is nearly free and 95% intact.  The engine mount bolts were tough.  I also learned that stage8 headers bolts look and sound like a great idea but in practice they are a giant pain in the e36 M3.  Tomorrow we will get a lot of the interior out take off the doors and see about removing the axles and front tubular k member.  PattyO also found another $0.37 under the driver’s seat.  That’s $3.24 in change so it’s now a $496.76 parts bonanza.  The amount of corrosion on the car is sad because so my time and money was spent on it years ago.  I’m glad the best parts of it will get a new life.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/29/18 8:03 p.m.

PattyO is a car disassembly beast and one heck of a nice guy.  His help on this project has been a blessing.  We (mostly him) got the interior out today and started on the suspension (last item).  Suspension should be out Monday and then we can scrap the remainder next Saturday.

We had a celebratory beer once the dash was out with intact wiring harness.

Also found another quarter today!  Car cost now stands at $496.51.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/31/18 6:59 p.m.

With PattyO’s help the black car is now a carcass.  I also had the wife sell $100 in parts off the car today!  She’s now a $396.51 hit to the budget which is how much I’m over currently since the white car was a cool $2k.  I will make some funds on the black car but get to keep the stuff I need for the challenge.  It’ll be a zero dollar donor.

Also Jr. decided to help today!  His brute strength really helped a ton.  Jr is about 6’3” and 180 and loves the gym.  Kid says he wants to keep learning about cars.  He may come help with the white car tomorrow.  I told him if he helps and gets his own helmet he can race it too.  So far we’re a 3 man team it seems.  I’m really hoping PattyO can make the trip to FL in October too.

It was sad to see how harsh the weather was to Stanger-missile’s old stang.  The front suspension bolts and bushings were all shot.  The brakes were all seized up.  Brake lines had tons of rust.  Having a car sit for a few years in real winter’s is harsh.

We are planning to swap the rear axles once I have the white car road legal in four to eight weeks or so.  Being old and having PattyO and Jr help along with a lift makes these jobs much easier.   

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/2/19 12:09 p.m.

I struck a deal today with a guy locally that will put me in the black on the black car.  When we meet Saturday, I will officially have a zero dollar stash of parts.  It’ll be time to work on the challenge car and see if we can get some recoup out of it too.

jj
jj HalfDork
1/2/19 4:48 p.m.

That's great.  You're making fast progress.  Are the gears the same with the new rear end?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/2/19 5:45 p.m.

In reply to jj :

Rear end from black car is 3.73s built with 31 spline axles and diff!  It’s a huge win and if I can add a little power may get me into the 13s.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/3/19 11:02 a.m.

After talking to the guy more today he agreed to help with parts trade plus cash! Not only will I have a zero balance on my parts car, I am getting full length subframe connectors as part of the deal!  Now I just need to find someone who will trade for torque box reinforcement plates too!  A slightly stiffer SN95 chassis will be greatly appreciated.  Last thing I want is to tear it up racing if I’m keeping it long term.  

The next hurdle will be valve springs and trading for them if possible too.

1 2 3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
QcZGFQpLWO9JDSlFfwfqGsFHoV2nEZglz1ZVsorybrhkNlMZT4xr4HYwRjgwjqqt