2 3 4 5 6
vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
6/7/16 8:11 p.m.

V6 is out. Subframe cleaned up. Need to replace the trans cooler lines. Just about tearing my hair out looking for these online. Why so hard to find two lines? Local Napa is special order plus additional shipping. Should I just make my own? Originals in bad shape. Gotta change plans on rims and tires. 17 inch sawblades won't give me wider track even with 3 inch spaces as they have a high positive offset. Looking at circle track options.

Still need tbi adapter for the square bore manifold.

Slow but steady wins the...oh hell is just slow.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
6/24/16 8:21 p.m.

Ready to go in. Shiny new flexplate, cleaned up manifolds, and spark plugs.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
6/24/16 8:25 p.m.

8 in place of 6. Yippee!!

Switching over from serpentine to v belts. Dropping the a/C for now. Next big thing is figuring out where to put the alternator.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/24/16 8:31 p.m.

Why switch to v belts? The 4.3 stuff bolts on.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
6/24/16 9:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Why switch to v belts? The 4.3 stuff bolts on.

Not when you use the older heads which don't have drilled bosses to mount to. And the abs unit is in the way on the driver side.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/24/16 9:42 p.m.

Ah. Fair enough.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
7/2/16 7:03 p.m.

Found an alternator/PS bracket on a Caprice wagon non LT1. Fits perfect but was for long nose water pump and switching to v-belts. So shim the PS pump back 1/2 inch and play mix and match with all the pulleys lying around gets us real close to done there. Need to find a WP pulley with two v channels now.

Passenger side exhaust almost done. Mild plan change. No side pipes, just dumping out in front of rear tires. Still duals though.

Also got a 1/4 inch thick sheet of aluminum to make an adapter to fit the TB to the square bore manifold.

In the words of Jesse James, only thing left to do is everything.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
7/11/16 8:32 p.m.

B body alt and PS bracket a go. Need to find the right length belts now. Adapter plate for the throttle body unit done. I made it over size to use as a mounting for some of the harness and sensors.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/11/16 8:57 p.m.

To quote quagmire, GIGGITY!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
8/2/16 4:52 p.m.

"#theonlythinglefttodoiseverything"

"#20%oftheworktakes80%ofthetime"

Hash tags are not easy.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
8/3/16 5:02 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

Nice work on the adapter plate. Should act as a height shield also.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/3/16 9:58 a.m.

TBI stuff seems really sensitive to how high the throttle body is spaced, so it might be worth trying a few different thicknesses.

I know on all the Megasquirt TBI upgrades that guys try to remove the factory throttle body spacers to reduce the underhood height and then regret it from loss of power.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
8/3/16 5:24 p.m.

In reply to ssswitch:

Good to know. Right now however I'm trying to find a vacuum line diagram and what to do about the lack of an EGR fitting/mount on my edelbrock manifold.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/3/16 6:40 p.m.

Leave it alone. All you need to worry about is pcv, brake booster, and map sensor.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
8/9/16 7:27 p.m.

No fun getting close to firing things up only to remember you failed to remove the tape you used to cover the intake manifold so things wouldn't get in it. Let's take things apart again.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/10/16 6:39 a.m.
vwcorvette wrote: No fun getting close to firing things up only to remember you failed to remove the tape you used to cover the intake manifold so things wouldn't get in it. Let's take things apart again.

Been there, done that

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
8/10/16 9:28 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
vwcorvette wrote: No fun getting close to firing things up only to remember you failed to remove the tape you used to cover the intake manifold so things wouldn't get in it. Let's take things apart again.
Been there, done that

The first time Wreck Racing fired up the turbo 2JZ Midget, a few balled-up paper towels became exhaust confetti!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/10/16 10:02 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

This was standard first start procedure for our FSAE team too.

"Did you tune the comps?" "Yes"

"Did you tune the paper towel comps?" "..."

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
8/10/16 2:21 p.m.

Picked up universal TV cable mount from Transdapt, some grommets for the PCV, and some emissions hoses. So close I can taste it. Perhaps I should register for the event?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/10/16 3:18 p.m.

Register!!!!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
8/11/16 8:03 p.m.
vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
8/11/16 8:13 p.m.

Youtube won't give me the embed code from the app. What am I doing wrong? I have good news to share.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
8/12/16 9:31 a.m.

Nice.
So that's why Chevy has the distributor in the back, so you can adjust it as you drive. :) Looking forward to seeing this in person.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
8/12/16 8:56 p.m.

Sunday the plan is to complete and make road worthy. Still need to hook up driveshaft since it was removed to move it using a tow dolly. Install trans cooler, install fan, air filter and housing, heater hoses, and refit the nose bodywork and trim. Looking at some Diamond Racing 15 x 7 rims tomorrow for it.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/13/16 12:53 p.m.

Why stop at 7"? Used?

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OORDblUk7SEbR2V6eJPhYlF8yH9zjOv09o6jOoIv0TFdTmu9dnfRz1s3sYzwEwNO