1 2
RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/1/16 3:41 p.m.

Looking Good!

jakeb
jakeb HalfDork
2/1/16 6:37 p.m.

Exhaust is the Y pipe into a 3" cat then into this huge muffler from a P series van.

Still needs piping to get it out from under the GW.

Got the starter relay wired up. THe PRND switch connector is a bit gunked up so reverse lights are not working but got it to the point it could be started!

Video of the 2ndish start...this was after the first fire where it had to build fuel pressure. It seems louder than I was expecting but it is running inside and with no hood they always seem a little louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0K_cFOYdo

Replaced both rear brake cylinders today and the lines from the rubber line on the axle to the cylinders. Took forever to get them to bleed but seems to be good.... Might need another bleed after being driven some. Should be able to drive it in a day or so.

jakeb
jakeb HalfDork
2/14/16 8:00 p.m.

Oil Pressure Switch is, PS133, OP24731 then using the 16mm to 1/8 npt adapter from autometer. part number 2268 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2268

Water temp is TU154

I used the autometer m12 to 1/8npt adapter (part 2277 - ) and drilled the center out to 7.4mm or .291 inch. Turned out like this

I actually had to do this twice as the first adapter I broke...drilled it out to big and when I tightened it I snapped it off. If I did it again I would do two different things. I would first try this adapter ( Equus 9848 ) and see if the sensor fit in without drilling it out. Or if I did have to drill it out I would have drilled it one step smaller and then froze the sensor and heated the adapter then screwed them together so they fit very tight. The entire reason I had to drill it out was because the sensor part itself was a bigger diameter than the inside of the adapter.

Video of the tcase control working. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkf4tAAOeio

gauges all working

And a couple pics of it out of the shop.

exhaust tip

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
2/15/16 1:28 p.m.

This is such a cool build, I don't know how I've missed it! I love ls swaps but you usually see them cramped into small cars it is relieving and neat to see how well it fits and works in a old truck. Any idea on fuel economy yet? I doubt that's a concern of your and the odometer may not even be hooked up but it was something I was thinking about. I'm sure it actually feels like it has enough power and speed at highway speeds now too huh?

jakeb
jakeb HalfDork
2/15/16 8:39 p.m.

I don't have a working speedo yet.... Need to purchase the speedo drive box and right now it's not needed so holding off on spending the $$$. I expect it is better than the 360 which gets about 8mpg. I expect it will be in the mid 20s...

The power feels good. It's just a daily so doesn't need to be a rocket. Also with the 2.72 gears that affects things a little. But it drives nice, comfortable, and quiet.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
2/16/16 7:49 p.m.

Looks at home in the snow and at the gas pump.

Outstanding work.

norcaltexas
norcaltexas
4/22/19 9:36 a.m.

I'm building a similar GW with 5.3 and 4l60e.  Any chance I could get the xfer wiring diagram ?  be happy to pay !

Thanks,

Wagoneer90
Wagoneer90
8/18/19 7:26 a.m.

do you still make the motor mounts for the ls wagoneer?

89waggy
89waggy
10/9/19 8:01 p.m.

Do you mind to share the model # for the Summit Racing radiator?  I’m in the middle of a LS swap on an 89 Jeep Wagoneer.  Thanks!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/10/19 11:13 a.m.

I have always wanted to do this to either one of these or an SX4 wagon - that is going to be quite the cruiser you got there!

jd_pigman
jd_pigman
3/3/20 1:40 p.m.

thans for sharing the build.  I would like some more information on wiring the transfer case.  thanks

Doniparks
Doniparks None
4/26/22 2:49 p.m.

I believe I am the current owner of this 1987 Jeep grand wagoneer. I'd love to speak to the to the former owner or or whoever did this swap. I am currently working on restoring this beautiful car with the help of a mechanic friend. Please feel free to contact me at any time at 419-277-5010. Thanks, Don

Doniparks
Doniparks New Reader
4/26/22 5:39 p.m.

In reply to jakeb :

Jake, I believe I am the current owner of this grand wagoneer. I would love to speak with you bc I am currently restoring this beauty. My phone number is 419-277-5010.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uQ1uRYHkHdVkbzL1hrTwht7BZiGjnv9I4owgOBOVAKOyKKrLrZkp2ZrO3kmXuenL