1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/6/14 11:12 a.m.

Once again I'm not working on a car. Oh well.

This was started in the Off Road section, but it's turned into a pretty major build so I will continue it here.

The Beginning.

A quick summery for those that don't want to be caught in the Off Road section.

The boat is a 1977 Mitchell Fishmate.

It's your typical 1970s chopped glass boat. Cheap and fairly light. I picked it up with a 1977 25hp Johnson outboard. The plan was to get it running and let the boys beat around in it. I knew the engine needed work, but it turns out it needs major work. Like a new powerhead. Scratch one Johnson for now.

Then a passing comment in another thread lead me to pick up this for a song. Running, no title.

What could be more natural than marrying the two together. 650cc, 50hp. That's only twice what the boat is rated for, should be fun.

Chop, chop, chop.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
9/6/14 11:16 a.m.

You keep this up, you are going to need to own a marina.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/6/14 11:26 a.m.

This morning I slid the boat off the trailer and flipped it. Many, many, measurements later I had this marked.

The plan is for the glassed in jet ski hull to be flush with the bottom of the boat.

A short while later...

Even later...

I tried very hard to save that seat. It just wasn't happening. I'll just have to build another one.

I just kept whittling things down until they fit properly.

At that point I was covered in glass and ready to start sticking it together. A good stopping point.

More to come. The weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate, so not much else will happen today.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/6/14 11:32 a.m.

Wow! I wanted to to that with a dead Hobie cat.

Can't wait for the action video Toyman!!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/6/14 2:37 p.m.

I fully support this sort of nonsense.

On a semi related note...any plans for the old Jet Ski trailer?

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
9/6/14 3:03 p.m.

Sweet! How big is the engine? Looks like it might take up a lot of the prime room in the cockpit.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/6/14 3:07 p.m.

This looks dangerous in the best possible way.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/6/14 4:03 p.m.

Woody, the trailer is probably going to end up as a camp trailer behind the Samurai. It's aluminum, and with only 90hp, I need to save all the weight I can.

bgkast, the engine is a 650cc, 2 stroke. Not too big. It sits on the 4 pads at the front of the cut out. There will be seating beside the engine cover.

Kind of like this.

I'm seriously considering picking up an old blown up 3-5hp OB to hang on the back just for giggles. All the jet drive parts will be well below the gunwales. Should be good for a laugh or two.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/6/14 5:14 p.m.

Get one of those E36 M3ty electric trollers and hang it off the back. Look scared and hold onto it when you blow by other boaters. Even funnier if you get someone to paddle.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
9/6/14 6:06 p.m.

Heh. A sleeper boat to go trolling with.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/6/14 9:30 p.m.

hehehe

Give you an idea of what the factory version does with jet shaft tunnel. It makes a seat.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/7/14 12:16 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Get one of those E36 M3ty electric trollers and hang it off the back. Look scared and hold onto it when you blow by other boaters.

Do this and run your steering and throttle to said trolling motor.

Obnoxio
Obnoxio New Reader
9/7/14 8:41 a.m.

I had an old Dixie fiberglas boat I dreamed of doing this exact thing to. I fully support these shenanigans.

One question: How do you think it will handle with the added length in front compared to the jet ski?

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
9/7/14 1:33 p.m.

This.is.AWESOME!

Did I miss how you plan to steer/throttle?

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/7/14 3:33 p.m.

Obnoxio, the handling is anyone's guess. My guess is it will be slower than I think it will and will drive more like a boat than a jet ski. It should ride fairly flat with the weight of the engine in the middle of the boat. Speed wise, I'm guessing high 20s to low 30s. Reality will probably be somewhat slower, if I can get 20 out of it, I'll be happy.

ScreaminE, steering will be handled by a stick controlling the nozzle of the jet drive. Throttle will initially be the jet ski trigger throttle, mounted on the steering stick. It may end up with a lever throttle. It depends on how much of a PITA it is to keep a trigger squeezed for hours on end. This is all subject to change and probably will.

84FSP
84FSP New Reader
9/7/14 4:05 p.m.

So much win here!

psteav
psteav Dork
9/8/14 9:03 a.m.

I am proud to be part of the inspiration for this nonsense. Where's that MJ-eating-popcorn gif when I need it?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/8/14 9:49 a.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/8/14 10:47 a.m.

LOL +1 for the fake trolling motor control system!

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
9/8/14 3:09 p.m.

nice rx7!

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/8/14 3:41 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Obnoxio, the handling is anyone's guess. My guess is it will be slower than I think it will and will drive more like a boat than a jet ski. It should ride fairly flat with the weight of the engine in the middle of the boat. Speed wise, I'm guessing high 20s to low 30s. Reality will probably be somewhat slower, if I can get 20 out of it, I'll be happy. ScreaminE, steering will be handled by a stick controlling the nozzle of the jet drive. Throttle will initially be the jet ski trigger throttle, mounted on the steering stick. It may end up with a lever throttle. It depends on how much of a PITA it is to keep a trigger squeezed for hours on end. This is all subject to change and probably will.

If you search You Tube for "Jet Jon" I would say that it will be plenty fast. Some cool videos including a twin engine version, but no shots of it running.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
9/8/14 4:37 p.m.

Do the jet skis have reverse, or do you just get the paddles out when you need to back up?

• Lee
Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/8/14 6:54 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

My main concern is the weight. Most of the jet jons are running 12'-14' aluminum boats weighing in the 100-150 pound range. A bunch of them are running 1000-1200cc, 100+ hp jets also.

The Mitchell is 15' and weighs in the 300+ range and I'm running a 650cc, 50hp jet that's 22 years old. It's almost an antique. I'm hopeful, but I won't be too surprised if it's slower than I would like. All that means is there is a good chance there will be a MK2, I'll call this a proof of concept and give it to my boys to abuse.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

Some of them have reverse, using a reversing bucket that drops behind the nozzle. The one I'm using doesn't...yet.

I'm going to get it running before I tackle that part of the project.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/8/14 7:01 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: nice rx7!

It's seen better days and is available to someone looking for a challenge priced project.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/1983-mazda-rx-7-gsl/76647/page1/

mblommel
mblommel Reader
9/8/14 7:41 p.m.

I think it would be totally cool if you painted it up like the batboat when you're done:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5OxMz6Q9WZ2XTQWMDSiudsBymgHTrRNYPIPPIQ1LUoLyrTgAMVLSe7I8FO1Xu9gq