BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
9/24/21 9:33 p.m.

picked up this 97 boxster for my wife, so sadly it is a tiptronic. I'm hoping this will be a fun gateway car to get her interested in newer and faster cars in the future. 

71k miles, in pretty good shape but the seat bolsters are pretty worn (which seems normal for these).

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/21 9:39 p.m.

In reply to BFH_Garage :

Dang that's nice! Love the wheels. Welcome to the club!

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
9/25/21 2:40 a.m.

Looks nice, the headlights certainly look nicer than mine.  I am still not sure if I am keeping it but I just swapped the bad starter for a new one and ordered parts to do a 3.2 oil cooler, new oil separator, low temp thermostat and new water pump and serpentine belt. So far it has been easier to work on than it looks. 

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
9/25/21 6:13 a.m.

We will be parking the mini in front of it. Makes the Boxster look huge. 

It drove well during the 5 hour trip home from Ohio, but does need a couple front suspension bits replaced. Starting with new sway bar end links. 

also, the top developed an issue the day after bringing it home. It was supposedly repaired a month ago (have receipt), but I don't think they got the actuator bars pushed on to the ball joints all the way. One came off and bent 90 degrees. Ugh. 

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
9/26/21 6:41 p.m.

my first introduction to the Porsche tax. How is this roof linkage $91?!

the good news is the top is operational again  

9/26/21 8:05 p.m.

In reply to BFH_Garage :

That's not so bad actually. Have you priced OE parts for anything?!?

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
9/26/21 9:32 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to BFH_Garage :

That's not so bad actually. Have you priced OE parts for anything?!?

I have... was just surprised that this fairly basic part was priced that high. Also surprised that there isn't an aftermarket option for it, since they seem to be replaced all the time. 

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
10/12/21 3:55 p.m.

the garage is full! Only one daily driver is out in the driveway. 

10/12/21 5:36 p.m.

In reply to BFH_Garage :

That is a nice garage setup!

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
10/13/21 11:06 a.m.

My roof linkage victory was short lived, it has popped off the ball twice since installing the new part. I have been using a pry bar to put it on and it definitely "clicks" onto the ball. Luckily I have caught it each time and not bent the part again.

I'm assuming something is slightly out of alignment, but can't figure it out. Suggestions?

Pelican sells a metal end to go onto the ball joint, wondering if that might hold better than the plastic?

JAdams
JAdams Reader
10/13/21 2:06 p.m.

More pics and details of the mini!

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
10/13/21 2:44 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/13/21 3:35 p.m.

In reply to BFH_Garage :

My top was converted to manual by the PO and I think this may be why.  Check Rennlist and 986forum if AACZD doesn't pop in with the answer.  

dps214
dps214 Dork
10/13/21 10:19 p.m.

I assume it pops off in the lowering/raising process. Do you know when in the process it happens, and is it consistent?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wn5BUwELfmkEtp7EQoAkAqJ4XYDcJngHAN4SRIcPDOwjz7IAm4jsboHltulsMZ3J