1 2 3
burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
12/28/19 9:40 p.m.

I finally got my EA11R. I bought it in October. It had to wait while I found some shop space and got my shop tools unloaded from a POD. Now I have the shop and the car!

I have a pallet of engines and transmissions on the way from Japan, some turbocharger cores from Ebay, and am pulling apart some Megasquirts from past projects.

Goals? Build a little autocross monster and help other people with their Kei cars.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
12/28/19 9:45 p.m.

Sweet!

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
12/28/19 9:53 p.m.
Robbie said:

Sweet!

Thank you!
I have better pictures from a real camera coming tomorrow.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
12/28/19 10:08 p.m.

I really want a Kei. Just about any would do. Something to make the wife's smartcar look big.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/28/19 10:17 p.m.

Dude! congrats on the purchase! a Honda beat is on my short list of cars that I want myself. i love Kei cars. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
12/29/19 1:26 a.m.
spacecadet said:

Dude! congrats on the purchase! a Honda beat is on my short list of cars that I want myself. i love Kei cars. 

I sat in a beat (and posted a picture of it in the hotlink thread)

I hope you're not big or tall, or it will be a snug fit.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
12/29/19 1:27 a.m.
burdickjp said:

Goals? Build a little autocross monster and help other people with their Kei cars.

What class will it be in?

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
12/29/19 2:45 a.m.

Cant wait to see more pics, this is cool!

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
12/29/19 6:30 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

What class will it be in?

I feel like they should be in a "prepared" class, but even though that's a rather open class structure there's a line that says it's for USDM vehicles only. I find that strange. With the influx of Japanese Bubble Era cars I expect there will be greater demand for that to change. Maybe we can be the vehicle of that change.

So I'm expecting to get thrown into a "mod" class. I won't be competitive this season, but I need to shake this thing down.

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
12/29/19 7:31 a.m.

I added some more photos of unloading up at the top. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, y'all might have seen this car already. It is this car:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a28748076/1994-suzuki-cappuccino-for-sale/

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/29/19 8:08 a.m.

In reply to burdickjp :

How to make your shop look bigger....Buy a Cappuccino!

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
12/29/19 8:20 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

This is the biggest shop I've had, and the smallest car.

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
12/30/19 8:31 p.m.

While unpacking my shop I came across the first DIYPNP I built. It's a bit ugly. Notice the MAP sensor? No matter; I'm going to pull this apart and rebuild it for the EA11R. I'm also going to start putting together a custom board to run an MS3Pro Module after this, but for now this will work.

Kenny_S2K
Kenny_S2K New Reader
1/8/20 12:33 p.m.

I'm a fellow Cappuccino owner, I picked mine up in March of last year with the thought of making it my daily.  Unfortunately ran into some issues with some of the coolant hoses that run under the intake plenum which are impossible to access without removing the intake itself, and it's been sitting in the garage on jackstands for a few months now.  Eventually I'll get it back on the road again, but look forward to see what you do with yours!

1992 Suzuki Cappuccino by Kenneth Rodriguez, on Flickr

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/8/20 3:27 p.m.

Damn, I would ROCK one of these cutemobiles. You said they were made up til 1998? That means there's quite a while for prices to go down...

ebelements
ebelements Reader
1/8/20 3:38 p.m.

How was purchasing through Japanese Classics?  Did you buy yours when it was in stock, or have them find you that one and bring it over?

I'm hoping to check out their inventory when I go to pick up my bodykit (their sister company Japan Parts Service brokered for me). I'd love to see if I actually fit in any of these things!

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
1/15/20 6:29 p.m.

Kenny_S2K said:

I'm a fellow Cappuccino owner, I picked mine up in March of last year with the thought of making it my daily.  Unfortunately ran into some issues with some of the coolant hoses that run under the intake plenum which are impossible to access without removing the intake itself, and it's been sitting in the garage on jackstands for a few months now.  Eventually I'll get it back on the road again, but look forward to see what you do with yours!

That's a good looking coffee car!

ebelements said:

How was purchasing through Japanese Classics?  Did you buy yours when it was in stock, or have them find you that one and bring it over?

I'm hoping to check out their inventory when I go to pick up my bodykit (their sister company Japan Parts Service brokered for me). I'd love to see if I actually fit in any of these things!

Japanese Classics did an excellent job. They are good at their job and passionate. This was in stock.

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
1/15/20 6:41 p.m.

Car went up on jack stands tonight for the engine pull. According to the manual, it goes out the bottom. There's a lot on this car which impresses me. More-so than an NA Miata, which gets a lot of attention for its engineering. I'll try to get pictures and document it some tomorrow.

Kenny_S2K
Kenny_S2K New Reader
1/17/20 10:47 a.m.

In reply to burdickjp :

Would love to hear the process you follow to pull the engine, I feel that is in my future!

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
1/17/20 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Kenny_S2K :

It's in the factory service manual, and while it looks a bit intimidating at first, it hasn't been that bad thus far. According to the manual the whole front subframe with suspension, engine, and trasmission goes out the bottom and then the major components can be separated.

Kenny_S2K
Kenny_S2K New Reader
1/17/20 1:47 p.m.
burdickjp said:

In reply to Kenny_S2K :

It's in the factory service manual, and while it looks a bit intimidating at first, it hasn't been that bad thus far. According to the manual the whole front subframe with suspension, engine, and trasmission goes out the bottom and then the major components can be separated.

I need to get my hand on the factory service manual, did you buy it off eBay? 

Kenny_S2K
Kenny_S2K New Reader
1/17/20 3:24 p.m.
Kenny_S2K said:
burdickjp said:

In reply to Kenny_S2K :

I need to get my hand on the factory service manual, did you buy it off eBay? 

Disregard, found a copy online.

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
1/27/20 6:54 p.m.

Engine's out!

Anyone have any questions?

Kenny_S2K
Kenny_S2K New Reader
1/30/20 7:55 p.m.

In reply to burdickjp :

Anything that you found that you needed to do that was missing from the manual?  Did you have to disconnect the AC lines (didn't see this mentioned at all in the manual)?  I have almost everything done, except I need to unbolt the driveshaft, and disconnect the suspension from the body.  Should be attempting to drop the engine this weekend when I return from my trip to Japan.

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
1/30/20 8:04 p.m.

We were able to remove the AC compressor from the engine and set it up before lowering everything down.

To get the steering shaft off we unbolted the rack from the front of the subframe, pulled the shaft out of the rack, and then bolted the rack back up. It was still very difficult to get around. I suggest removing the alternator to make it easier.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fPPGnSSGq5szn7GXVMkfRJppLVMnvaBHnNqrCdfkr9ZfNxyaaTBHkFQ1A7zWNMSm