1 2 3 4
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/17 9:07 a.m.

I have no idea what time she prepares going to run. But at the very least come drink a cup of coffee and get a feel for the thing. We should be there no later than 8 a.m. .

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/10/17 4:37 p.m.

Started disassembly of the parts car. I have a list of parts that are needed from a couple people. I forgot how hard these German cars were to take apart. Looks like it might take me a little more time than I thought.

[URL=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/tedroach21/media/Image_zps2spwbcht.jpeg.html][/URL]

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/10/17 5:02 p.m.

They took that badge too! 

Freaking commies.....

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/10/17 6:20 p.m.

I have the badge.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/10/17 6:25 p.m.

The patina on that looks fabulous. 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
11/10/17 6:49 p.m.
tedroach said:

In reply to gearheadE30 :

Let me know what you need. I am already starting to collect the parts that I can salvage. My goal is to get the parts car out of the driveway within 2 weeks.

I'm looking for some rear turbo brake calipers (twin piston aluminum). PM me if you have some you want to sell

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/15/17 9:51 a.m.

In reply to carwhisperer :

Unfortunately, both of these cars are NA and the calipers have been sold.

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/16/17 6:31 p.m.

I had a little bit of time this afternoon and was able to remove the front valance, wheel wells, side skirts, and doors from the parts car. Since I had a couple extra minutes, I decided to roll out the project car from the garage, clean it off, and get the stickers off the window.

Next, I will remove the rear hatch, front bumper, headlights, and the center upper valance. Not too much more after that and I can get rid of the parts car.

Yes, that is an egg carton. I needed to put the bolts in something!

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/18/17 3:23 p.m.

Had a fellow GRM member come over today and help with disassembly of the parts car ( I will let him tell who he is if he wants). Great progress today. We were able to remove some parts of the engine bay, the front upper fascia, front bumper, both front fenders, headlight assembly, front sway bar, and the rear hatch. 

Another day or two of work and the parts car will be gone!

LimitedTimeOnly
LimitedTimeOnly New Reader
11/18/17 9:45 p.m.

Given that having my own project car is not a good idea at this time, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to help a bit with yours.

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/20/17 9:39 a.m.
LimitedTimeOnly said:

Given that having my own project car is not a good idea at this time, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to help a bit with yours.

Thanks again! I appreciate all the help.

Yesterday, I was able to spend a couple hours on the parts car again. I removed the steering rack, the headlight and turn signal harness, rear diffuser/spoiler, tail lights, rear side lights, trim from the sunroof, the hood release, and the carpet padding I need. I also started to cut the rear quarter panel for one of our GRM members but I ran out of time and cutoff wheels.

All I have left is the rear quarter panel, the front support and inner fender, and the brake & clutch pedal assemblies. Then I can have the parts car towed away and move on to fixing the real car.

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/22/17 4:18 p.m.

I know this build is not very "GRM" but posting about it helps me keep motivated to finish. Also, I plan to use this as my Autocross vehicle in the spring.

I was able to convince Mrs. Roach that I need to spend a little time in the driveway this afternoon to finish removing parts. So far, I have been able to pull parts for a friend and also a fellow GRM member. Tonight, I cut the rear driver quarter panel and the front frame rail and radiator support off. I was going to pull the brake and clutch pedal assembly, but there is no easy way to get to it. I am out of time and need to get the car out of the driveway.

I found out quickly that getting rid of a fully stripped car is not easy. I still have a clean title, but most scrap yards want a car with an engine and transmission. I found one local place to take it, but I have to get it towed there. For now, I posted it for free on CL. We will see if someone wants to come haul it away.  

Here is what is left:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/22/17 4:52 p.m.

Are you sending the front seats, springs, and wheels to the scrapper? Cause ill give you scrap prices for them....

Also: lennox makes a cut off wheel diamond blade. Lives damn near forever. Fits standard angle grinder. 15 bucks at lowes. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/22/17 4:54 p.m.

Also ac compressor if its serpentine belt

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/22/17 5:47 p.m.

those wheels and tires have to be worth something, Waste Not want not

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/22/17 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I can probably get the AC compressor off, but I don't think it is any good. It looks pretty bad. All the other parts have been promised to someone that responded on CL. Sorry, I didn't think to ask anyone here first.

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
11/22/17 5:51 p.m.
GTXVette said:

those wheels and tires have to be worth something, Waste Not want not

I am sure the wheels and tires are worth something. Unfortunately, I do not have the space to keep them and it is easier to get rid of a rolling chassis.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/22/17 5:54 p.m.

Ok. Dont worry about it. 

Glad all of its going to good homes!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
11/23/17 3:11 p.m.

Awesome; I'll have to get cracking on mine again once I'm back from Thanksgiving vacation. This year I get to be thankful for other members having convenient parts cars!

LimitedTimeOnly
LimitedTimeOnly New Reader
11/25/17 7:28 p.m.
tedroach said:

I am sure the wheels and tires are worth something. Unfortunately, I do not have the space to keep them and it is easier to get rid of a rolling chassis.

It is too bad to lose the wheels - they were so very light! But I definitely understand not wanting to find others to use as rollers for the chassis.

Looks like you've gotten what you needed for the autocross 944 project! Good job.

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
12/5/17 10:55 a.m.

After being on vacation for a week, I was able to spend some time working on the 944. First order of business was to get the parts car out of the driveway. Mrs. Roach and my neighbors greatly appreciated it being gone.

Next up was to remove the broken front parts from the black 944. I was able to get the lower valence off, front bumper, headlights, and both front fenders before I started to get tired. It appears that the first 6 inches of the driver side frame rail will need to be replaced  (which I already knew). The front inner fender is not as bad as I thought and will take minimal replacement.

Next on the list is to cut the front radiator bracket, pull the air box, radiator, and any other parts that are in the way. Then the repairs will begin! My goal is to have it on the road by the end of January.

Here is a picture from the front before I removed the passenger side headlight and fender:

Side picture to show the front damage:

Picture from the top to show the inner fender damage:

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
12/5/17 8:19 p.m.

Nice progress keep up the the good work!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
12/6/17 5:58 a.m.

Interesting evap canister placement...mine had a giant antenna motor right there, being an early model car.

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
12/6/17 6:40 a.m.
gearheadE30 said:

Interesting evap canister placement...mine had a giant antenna motor right there, being an early model car.

I was not really sure what it was for the longest time. It is just an odd place to put the evap canister. When I got the wheel well out of the way, I was surprised to see it there.

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
12/6/17 6:49 a.m.

This morning I was awake at 4am and had some time on my hands. Instead of going to work early, I decided to goof off online searching for Porsche parts. After browsing the usual places and trying to find the best deals, I ended up ordering the brake reservoir cap with sensor and the center console insert that goes over the shifter with the buttons on it. I am slowing picking up all the pieces that were missing in the car, but focusing on what I need to get it running and inspected.

I will definitely need the brake fluid cap and sensor. The cover for the console was for the mounting on the buttons for the sunroof, etc. I want to get the electrical tied up and in place just to be safe and the fact that I found a good deal on the parts helps a lot.

I was able to take the air box out last night by bending the radiator support back. Now I should be able to make progress on getting the radiator fans, radiator, and everything else in my way. I hope to have that removed by the end of this week.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tWZyuryMR3nee99wsCMkShNUTdSGEpf00kYr95okCKy6PQgZKHnZy8Yr0FbZX0Ym