3 4 5 6 7
Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/23/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Good to know. I haven’t had an alignment done yet. It will be very easy to shim the subframe if it shows up in the alignment. I have only driven it about 50 miles, and haven’t noticed any issues. 

Thinking about bout this a little more... the top of the subframe isn’t completely flat. One of the pairs of holes already has a shim welded on. I have already compensated for that variance. I will still keep an eye out for any potential geometry issues when I get it aligned.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/23/19 10:37 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Sofa King said:

My weight estimate is between 1700 and 1800 lbs. I will scale it as soon as I can get my hands on scales. Stock horsepower on the LS6 is 405, but I have a slightly hotter cam, so I am expecting 430ish. That would be approximately 4.44 lbs per horse.

Factor in the weight of the driver and that’s liter bike territory.  Or better.  Not to mention the much flatter torque curve you’ll have.  Hope your reflexes are good.

My reflexes probably won’t keep up with the car, but it should be fun trying!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/23/19 10:50 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Thanks for the tip! I keep adding to my knowledge base as this project progresses. Everything is easier the second time I do it! 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/25/19 12:10 p.m.

Passenger side window is in. Like I said above... everything is easier the second time I do it!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/30/19 2:23 p.m.

Power windows, door cards and speakers are in!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/2/19 12:41 p.m.

Side skirts are finally painted to match the car! 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/3/19 12:27 p.m.

Got the windshield reset today! After I removed the rusted chrome window trim, the windshield was hanging by a thread, but I was still concerned that it wouldn’t come out without incident. Had to sign my life away swearing that they weren’t responsible if it broke, but it came out and back in without a problem! Generic molding replaces the original and now all my windows are trimmed in black!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/9/19 4:46 p.m.

After way to much time.... the side skirts are finally done!! Woo Hoo!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
4/9/19 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

Those look like they could be OE, great job!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/10/19 6:59 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Thank you! With every body modification I have made, I have tried to keep the original flavor of the car.  I experimented with adding shape to the bottom of the side skirts, but I wasn’t creative enough to make it look better than the simple flat panels.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/10/19 2:24 p.m.

The passenger side skirt actually turned out better than the driver’s side! If you look closely you might notice that the hole for the door hinge is visible on the driver’s side and not on the passengers. This isn’t due to my fabrication skills, it’s due to the factory holes being off 3/4” from side to side. (Shh! ...Don’t tell anyone!)

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/15/19 3:16 p.m.

Got the center tunnel covered in vinyl, the shift lever and parking brake boots in and the dash back in. The interior is starting to look like a real car! Just a little clean up and put the seats back in and I could be driving it by the end of the week!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/18/19 7:03 p.m.

It’s back on the ground and ready to go! Just need some good weather!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
4/18/19 7:10 p.m.

Oh man, Wicked!

I am going to say -scary fast. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/18/19 9:06 p.m.
Sofa King said:

It’s back on the ground and ready to go! Just need some good weather!

The Lower side skirts really pull it together and mask the wheelbase stretch. Nice job! yes

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/18/19 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Thanks! Since I had lowered the chin and rear valance to accommodate the movement of the wheel arches, they looked lower than the belly section of the body. The side skirts helped cover the conflict of the curved stock bottom line and my straight frame, and visually solved the problem of the lowered front and rear facias.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/19/19 7:12 a.m.

I still need to come see it, every time I’m up there I have no time.  

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
4/19/19 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Barring any unforeseen issues, it’s mobile now, I should have it at some local car shows as soon as the weather cooperates. You are welcome to stop in any time you are in the neighborhood.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
5/4/19 7:04 p.m.

Just finished the engine cover lift support bracket. I think it looks better than the graphite golf shaft that I have been using.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
5/29/19 10:55 p.m.

Unforeseen circumstances have occurred ! I haven’t been able to resolve my low oil pressure problem, so the engine is coming out!

i did make it to a local car show, and got a photo of it outside. Proof that it has moved under its own power.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/3/19 6:37 p.m.

The engine is ready to come back out! I’ll pull it tomorrow. I’m hoping that the low oil pressure problem will be something obvious!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/3/19 7:07 p.m.

This is the first europa i have ever seen be started as a project and run under its own power. Congratulations! 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/3/19 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Thanks! ... but did you see my last post? cheeky

I’m not sure I still deserve your congratulations, but I’ll try to get it back on the road quickly.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/4/19 12:46 p.m.

Engine is all the way out! Let the disassembly and diagnosis begin!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/10/19 7:26 p.m.

The engine will go back in tomorrow! Looks like the problem was a bad seal on the cam retainer. I also added a high pressure oil pump for good measure. I’ll crank it with the starter to check the pressure, and barring any problems, start putting it back in. 

I am shooting to have it done in time to hit the end of the Hot Rod power tour this Friday at Summit Raceway.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NgGI3W5CcHwKVPGwxKHxV1jerYIVUtLjbUu5crBcH3yvNIbkqtBqkRdGikHGXWsG