1 2
malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/24/19 8:05 p.m.

Well at least it is for me.

2006 Highlander Limited.  3.3 v6, leather, sunroof, 3rd row, etc.  Nicest thing Ill ever own.

I kept going back and forth on this decision for months.  I wanted something larger to haul Melody around in, my 3 dogs, argon bottles for my fab shop, parts, my fat ass and maybe tow one of of my tercels with.

Started out with wanting a Sienna, a 1st gen, as I really like the way they look and just good all around simple van.  Well finding one that wasnt treated like garbage was nearly impossible.  Considered 2gr V6 RAV4s since they run 14s stock.  But ultimately decided on the 1st gen Highlander.  Lovely boxy looks (that I really like) plenty of room and pretty much checks off everything need on my list.

So mods planned?  Oh yeah, exhaust will be later this week, then tint on the front windows, stereo, backup camera, maybe a rear sway bar.  Nothing radical.  Its really nice as is.  Just gotta make it mine.

This gives me time to fix up my Yaris as it really needs alot of servicing that Ive put off since it was the DD.  Plus I can finally finish the turbo fab on it.  And, well...my 3 other projects...smh

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/24/19 10:19 p.m.

I’ve gotta say, I don’t remember those cars at all.  Are those Lexus rims?  Looks like a nice ride to do exactly what you need.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
6/24/19 10:22 p.m.

Enjoy, nice truck! Just remember that you said, "Nothing radical." wink

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
6/25/19 1:02 a.m.

I heard him say “it’s gonna be radical.”

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/25/19 5:32 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

dude they everywhere at least around my area.  Just driving 2miles up the street to Ihop i passed 2 first gens.

apparently this is an uncommon color so I got that going for me lol.

factory limited wheels.  I like the Merc flavor they have.  Its got BRAND new tires so that suppresses the need to change that anytime soon.  Eventually i might do different wheels.  Maybe a factory Toy/Lex take off from another model

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/25/19 7:03 a.m.

I was gonna ask about a Sienna, since it's probaly the same basic drivetrain.  But these HL's are nice.  We've had friends they were well served by them.  

Nice ride.  Embrace the box- it'll do everything you need.

Biggest trans cooler you can find, and a Class II hitch receiver will serve you well.  

Pretty color, though my wife has turned me off of dark red due to a certain college rival of hers... wink

It'll be interesting to hear that V6 uncorked a bit.  Planning a dual exhaust?  

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/25/19 11:35 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Nah just single.  Tho I had ideas of duals and going out the passenger side...

volvoclearinghouse
6/25/19 12:04 p.m.

I'm imagining this noise...coming from that SUV.

devil

Just be careful that the pipes don't interfere with the hitch.  

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/25/19 12:58 p.m.

Congrats, looks like a good find, well suited to the fleet.

So, how poorly do ‘sheet goods’ fit in the back of these?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
6/25/19 1:09 p.m.

1. That model Highlander runs forever.  I have seen them with 300,000+ miles on the clock no problem. 

2. Box flares make that model Highlander even awesomer than other SUVs. 

3. OMG Melody is adorable! 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
6/25/19 7:56 p.m.

She’s a beaut Clark!

cheeky

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/26/19 5:25 a.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

Im considering actually calling it "Clark"

Anyways...27hours and 94 miles later...i had to change it up...

2.5" from the ypipe into a Flowmaster Super 40, then 2.25" into a Invidia canister muffler.  Sounds just right.  Not loud not droney.

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/26/19 5:29 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Thanks.  Im still surprised i had a hand in making something this stinking cute!

volvoclearinghouse
6/26/19 5:58 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

I know the feeling.  You've met me, and my daughter.  How she ended up so cute with half of my genes is beyond explanation.  I credit Mrs. VCH.  

By the by....I notice a certain something is missing from that exhaust system.  Something...feline, shall we say?  devil

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/26/19 6:24 a.m.

Only the 2ndary one.  Primaries are still there and will always be in some form or another.  I keep em on all but 1 car.  Only because the oil burning would of destroyed it anyways.

Even the Malibu with the 1uz will get cats, half because I plan to put it thru inspection, half because smell and half because if done right little to no power loss.  So why pollute more then I have to?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/26/19 10:18 a.m.

The color looks great! Much better than the beige or silver you usually see.  I've often wondered how a Highlander hybrid would do as a fuel efficient soft-roader.

Since you mentioned the Sienna, I wonder if the highlander springs would give a sienna a nice bump in ride height.

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/27/19 10:04 p.m.

^ no idea

Replaced the front brake rotors today.  The ones that were on it were older and warped a bit.  Weird part is the pads were nearly new.  So I clean those up with a wire wheel and took em to the belt sander to give me fresh surface and bed them in pretty good. Also fully serviced and lubes the front calipers and everything works great now!

Now I got to do the front speakers...the right midrange is blown...

volvoclearinghouse
6/28/19 7:34 a.m.

I've "fixed" a pulsing pedal by simply bedding in the brake pads.  Someone told me that rotors don't actually warp, they just get uneven metal transfer, sometimes under a panic stop, and that's what causes the pedal pulsations.  Make 5 or 6 good hard 40mph - 5mph stops, but don't FULLY stop, then drive around for 15 minutes without touching the brakes to let them cool.  

It worked on my wife's k2500 suburban and my '83 Mercedes 240D.

I know you already replaced the rotors, but for future reference, something to try.  

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/29/19 2:12 p.m.

Well i used to surface rotors at another shop and seens some wavy stuff.  But I think you do have a valid point and is probably a more often issue then physically warped stuff.

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
7/1/19 4:57 a.m.

Modified the intake yesterday, removed the charcoal filter and deleted the little resonators

Put together a quick little video of my purchase:

https://youtu.be/F33EQjfPz78

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
7/5/19 7:09 p.m.

Replace the front factory JBL components with new JBL aftermarket components last thursday.  The factory woofers were buzzing so that had to go 

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
7/6/19 7:45 p.m.

no pics but did an oil change, switched to 5w20 from the recomended 5w30.  full synthetic, fram XG filter and aired the tires up to 38psi.

come on average 20-21mpg!

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
7/7/19 8:05 a.m.

Had it up in my favorite mountain roads yesterday.  Drives so well. 

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
7/19/19 4:55 p.m.

Installed a Pioneer AVH-601ex and it sounds so damn good!  Even thru the factory amp.  And I kept the steering wheel controls

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
7/20/19 2:27 a.m.

Really clean example, and i like the color. 

I bought an 06 Hybrid Limited 4wd in January, drove it for 1k miles and then sold it to my cousin. I don't really think these in particular give up much to a minivan because between the massive 2nd row legroom, sliding 2nd row, 2nd row recline, large rear door openings, and 3rd row i can actually fit in at 6'0 (if you slide the 2nd row up a bit), it's really damn good. 

I recently put a stereo in that one too using adapter to retain the factory amp (which is strong!), but it is picking up noise from the hybrid inverters. Havent figured out what to do about that yet. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pvzpOh19w0hTUO2ZIqrkcpxY82e2NXTnevvRvs6l0yplNCWlIILyHs05hUZoNwwk