4 5 6 7
proawemike
proawemike New Reader
3/10/16 12:50 p.m.

So the next step in the build was the fuel system. The stock fuel pump in the Insight may well flow enough but I didn't want to keep a 250K mile fuel pump in the tank. I had an extra AEM 320L/hr pump available to me and decided just upgrade now incase forced induction falls from the sky.

I started by pulling the tank out of the car.

photo IMG_0030_zpsruhriyby.jpg

Then I pulled out the fuel pump assembly.

photo IMG_0031_zpstpo9r90j.jpg

Next step was the measure the resistance of the fuel sender. I wanted to make sure I could match the correct highs and lows with S2000 cluster. This is pretty simple, just move the float to the top and measure the output at the pins, then the bottom and measure again.

photo IMG_0047_zpsaifydjf4.jpg

photo IMG_0048_zpsqhiy1psj.jpg

Next I pulled the assembly apart to get to the fuel pump. Here is the old pump, next to the new pump.

photo IMG_0038_zpsipk0et1y.jpg

Luckily the pump was easy to install. It fit in the stock cage and all of it just snapped back together.

For the fuel injectors I am using some Fuel Injector Clinic 525cc. All the injectors come with flow documentation to ensure they are within 1% of each other.

photo IMG_0267_zpsdmlfspbv.jpeg

The last part of the fuel system is think Pro series fuel rail. I am running AN line and an Aeromotive regulator to finish it all out.

photo IMG_0021_zpsaputhvmq.jpeg

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
3/13/16 8:15 p.m.

Now that the engine and the suspension are bolted in place, I could move forward with the brakes. I decided to go with EP3 Civic Si calipers and rotors. This is an easy bolt on upgrade and should help drag the ExSight down from high speeds during track days. I bought some new replacement calipers that were already paint red.

photo IMG_0141_zps4gs83jcx.jpeg

Then I got the most hilarous brake rotors from RockAuto. These are going to be replaced shortly, I promise. They are only temporary to make sure the setup works correctly. Best part is they were both $10 total. Haha

photo IMG_0136_zpsxzweypcn.jpeg

I wanted to use some stainless lines but the Insight has the mounting brackets permanently mounted to the lines. This meant I had to modify the brackets in order to use Civic Si brake lines.

Here is the bracket and the line to start.

photo IMG_0067_zpszfambcnc.jpeg

Now we just cut the line off....

photo IMG_0071_zpsxmmep1db.jpeg

Weld it all back together...

photo IMG_0072_zpsthufzypp.jpeg

BAM. All better.

Lets bolt them on the car.

photo IMG_0311_zpsemls8hwj.jpeg

photo IMG_0124_zps5mkgvioo.jpeg

Nice. They fit like stock.

Ok, now the rotors, calipers and Bosch pads can be bolted up.

photo IMG_0144_zps2buliy6d.jpeg

Next I moved on to the sway bar. I used these nice collars from Fortune Auto as the old sway bar mounts were welded to the stock strut. They allowed me to bolt the stock sway bar back in place.

photo IMG_0304_zpsgbwo03m0.jpeg

photo IMG_0305_zpswl4wlm8u.jpeg ev

And here is a final shot of the brakes, lines and sway bar. Everything is tied down and clear when the wheels are turned lock to lock.

photo IMG_0300_zpsh0ceyf07.jpeg

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/13/16 11:15 p.m.

Those rotors are ... distinctive. Any idea why they were dedigned that way?

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
3/13/16 11:34 p.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Those rotors are ... distinctive. Any idea why they were dedigned that way?

No idea who thought that was a good idea. I will say again, $10 total. DBA rotors will be here soon. haha

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
3/14/16 8:54 p.m.

The finished product here is going to be a very impressive car.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
3/15/16 11:54 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote: The finished product here is going to be a very impressive car.

I am working hard to make this car nice. Once I am done I don't want to have to work on it all the time. I want to be able to enjoy it.

MichaelB
MichaelB New Reader
3/16/16 8:49 a.m.

I approve of your entire philosophy with this build. Carry on!

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
4/11/16 11:28 a.m.

I know I have been lacking updates and I am sorry about that. The ExSight is now running and I took it to an autox last weekend. It was the first time its been run in anger since its been on the road. It did really well, one of the fastest car of the day not on slicks. Not bad considering I got 49 mpg on the way there and back.

Heres a link to the video.

ExSight Autox

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/11/16 11:33 a.m.

WOW!

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
4/11/16 1:56 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: WOW!

Wow is a good thing right? Haha

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/11/16 1:59 p.m.
ProAweMike wrote:

The power/fun/efficiency combo is pretty much unbeatable. That kind of wow. You made one of the best street cars ever.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/11/16 2:09 p.m.

This will surprise people.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
4/11/16 2:27 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
ProAweMike wrote:
The power/fun/efficiency combo is pretty much unbeatable. That kind of wow. You made one of the best street cars ever.

I think its pretty cool as well.

More work to do, always improving but its a pretty great little car.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/11/16 2:42 p.m.
ProAweMike wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
ProAweMike wrote:
I think its pretty cool as well. More work to do, always improving but its a pretty great little car.

How much would it cost to replicate this, roughly?

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
4/11/16 2:53 p.m.

I went way overboard with a bunch of stuff. If you wanted to keep it cheaper but still nice it would be about 4k plus the car. I am really happy with the comfort and the capabilities of the car. Its a great all around performer.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/11/16 3:19 p.m.
ProAweMike wrote: I went way overboard with a bunch of stuff. If you wanted to keep it cheaper but still nice it would be about 4k plus the car. I am really happy with the comfort and the capabilities of the car. Its a great all around performer.

That's really quite impressive. Nicely done.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/11/16 5:17 p.m.

Build me one? Turn key? $10 grand ok?

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
4/11/16 6:18 p.m.
ProAweMike wrote: I know I have been lacking updates and I am sorry about that. The ExSight is now running and I took it to an autox last weekend. It was the first time its been run in anger since its been on the road. It did really well, one of the fastest car of the day not on slicks. Not bad considering I got 49 mpg on the way there and back. Heres a link to the video. ExSight Autox

It moves! With traction, I'd be curious what this thing does down a drag strip. I knew several EG's with similar power numbers from K swaps running high 12's NA with slicks. I reckon this weighs a little less than that so 13s on street tires should be no problem.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
4/11/16 7:37 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: Build me one? Turn key? $10 grand ok?

Haha. I'll let you know if I start building them for people. I plan on selling parts for these cars as there is a small following.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
4/11/16 7:41 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
ProAweMike wrote: I know I have been lacking updates and I am sorry about that. The ExSight is now running and I took it to an autox last weekend. It was the first time its been run in anger since its been on the road. It did really well, one of the fastest car of the day not on slicks. Not bad considering I got 49 mpg on the way there and back. Heres a link to the video. ExSight Autox
It moves! With traction, I'd be curious what this thing does down a drag strip. I knew several EG's with similar power numbers from K swaps running high 12's NA with slicks. I reckon this weighs a little less than that so 13s on street tires should be no problem.

Ohhhhh there was noooooo traction. That is GPS speed, wheel speed looks much different. haha. I am shooting for 12.50s. its 1880lbs wet so I hope I can pull that off. That is one of the goals of the project.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
4/11/16 8:18 p.m.
ProAweMike wrote:
crankwalk wrote:
Ohhhhh there was noooooo traction. That is GPS speed, wheel speed looks much different. haha. I am shooting for 12.50s. its 1880lbs wet so I hope I can pull that off. That is one of the goals of the project.

Oh no I was saying WITH traction I wonder what it would run. I could tell you didn't have any there. You need some proper slicks for that thing at a drag strip. God, an Insight running 12.50s all motor is like stock C5 Z06 all motor numbers.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
4/11/16 8:25 p.m.

Haha. I see what you meant now. That's exactly what I was shooting for, C5 Z06 performance numbers with double the fuel economy.

Makitadiesel
Makitadiesel
7/5/16 10:49 p.m.

I would be very interested in a ProAweMike K-Sight fabrication patch batch (improved mounts, necessary modified brackets, 3D parts, etc) necessary to make this swap a reality for those with limited fab resources and/or skills. There's an enticing Insight near me that is limping it's CVT and the IMA is long dead. My aspirations are much lower, a K24 out of an Accord or CRV, complete DD build that has no intentions of serious track time. Still plenty of scoot at 45+ mpg.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
9/25/16 9:29 a.m.
Makitadiesel wrote: I would be very interested in a ProAweMike K-Sight fabrication patch batch (improved mounts, necessary modified brackets, 3D parts, etc) necessary to make this swap a reality for those with limited fab resources and/or skills. There's an enticing Insight near me that is limping it's CVT and the IMA is long dead. My aspirations are much lower, a K24 out of an Accord or CRV, complete DD build that has no intentions of serious track time. Still plenty of scoot at 45+ mpg.

I have now started producing some of these components so people can build their own ExSight. I will soon have them up on www.ProfessionalAwesome.com for sale. Check it out if you are interested.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
9/26/16 4:52 p.m.

I am extremely interested. I even test drove a 1g insight a little bit ago.

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mv3HGBTLoEcPT8oirLn5DBJHMLcDdXWqp5qMLVF7TPpyFCZUVZhsrMrTSmjlGDlU