5 6 7
catapultkid
catapultkid New Reader
10/29/16 7:44 p.m.

In reply to ProAweMike:

Super excited to see what you produce with what pricing. Ive got a dead insight awaiting...

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/29/16 8:14 p.m.

Hot damn, I'm watching this one.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
11/2/16 12:35 p.m.

12s and knocking on 50mpg. Color my interest piqued!

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
1/5/17 9:11 p.m.

I need to do some updating here but on my recent 600-mile round trip I got 51MPG. Not bad for snow tires.... I am getting the car ready for some Ice racing in mid-February. I am super excited.

bengro
bengro New Reader
3/1/17 4:56 p.m.

What axles are you running? Are they the stock EP3 axles?

Is there a huge benefit to running a 6 speed vs the 5 speed from say an accord that has a 5th gear nearly as tall as the tsx 6th?

Also the jump from the 4.389 final drive to the custom 3.4 final drive, do you feel that is what is needed to get to the mpgs you see now?

Any chance that fortune auto will make the 510s with the valving and springs you are running readily available, like is this something an average joe could call up and have them make for us?

Early in this thread you mention a custom rear sway bar and mount, I am guessing that the insight does not come with a rear sway stock? Did just adding the gaz dampers and 2.7k springs help you in the rear?

For the front anti-sway bar, you are running the stock insight bar with some off the shelf strut clamps, are you still happy with this setup?

As far as cooling, does this still use a stock insight radiator with some custom hoses, or have you run a different cooling package?

Sorry to drop a ton of questions on you all at once. I really dig this build. Thanks for taking the time to document it here and on the insight forum. Also hope to see this at a gridlife event this summer, but I imagine you will be running time attack and not have the insight on hand.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
3/9/17 9:55 p.m.
bengro wrote: What axles are you running? Are they the stock EP3 axles? Is there a huge benefit to running a 6 speed vs the 5 speed from say an accord that has a 5th gear nearly as tall as the tsx 6th? Also the jump from the 4.389 final drive to the custom 3.4 final drive, do you feel that is what is needed to get to the mpgs you see now? Any chance that fortune auto will make the 510s with the valving and springs you are running readily available, like is this something an average joe could call up and have them make for us? Early in this thread you mention a custom rear sway bar and mount, I am guessing that the insight does not come with a rear sway stock? Did just adding the gaz dampers and 2.7k springs help you in the rear? For the front anti-sway bar, you are running the stock insight bar with some off the shelf strut clamps, are you still happy with this setup? As far as cooling, does this still use a stock insight radiator with some custom hoses, or have you run a different cooling package? Sorry to drop a ton of questions on you all at once. I really dig this build. Thanks for taking the time to document it here and on the insight forum. Also hope to see this at a gridlife event this summer, but I imagine you will be running time attack and not have the insight on hand.

I am running a combination of stock axles I just don't remember which ones they were. Something like an Integra drvier with a TSX passenger.

6sp probably doesn't have a huge advantage but it's a good trans so I can have the close ratio 1-4 and the longer 5th and 6th.

Yes, the custom final drive helps my MPG drastically, especially at higher speeds.

I am working on getting the shocks released for everyone.

The insight does not have a rear sway bar. I think the rear shocks and springs helped a lot. They aren't perfect and I will have some room to improve but it rides much better than a stock insight.

I am running a stock insight front bar and its been good so far, I will probably upgrade in the future once I get it on a road course.

I use the stock insight radiator with custom hoses. I am working on a custom radiator now to improve the package further.

I should be a Gridlife with the Evo for sure. I will try to bring the Insight and turn some laps.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
3/10/17 9:59 a.m.

Can you post up some pictures of the finished product?

Skid
Skid
10/19/17 7:51 p.m.

In reply to ProAweMike:

Hoping you're still getting updates on this thread. Really interested in connecting if you would ever consider building a similar car and how you would price it. I joined this group because I'd very much like a well thought out build you have definitely put a lot of thought into your car.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
3/3/19 8:43 a.m.

I have been pretty terrible at updating this build thread and I am sorry about that. I have decided to start a YouTube build series on the Exsight and you can find it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydToEzc8FPY&t=142s 

Hopefully the series will help you with your own Insight projects. 

Thanks guys,

J1000
J1000 New Reader
3/3/19 8:32 p.m.

Just found this project for the first time and I'm definitely subscribed. Was just talking to my friend about K swapping an Insight or CR-Z. Is the hybrid system still all stock? Would be cool to modify that system, but I wouldn't know where to start.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
3/6/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to J1000 :

It no longer has the hybrid system. Its not really worth it to keep with the added complexities. Controlling that system would be very hard with an aftermarket system. 

Hopefully you will like the rest of the build. 

J1000
J1000 New Reader
3/8/19 12:20 p.m.

Well then your MPGs are just that more impressive, I had figured you were still rocking the stock system somehow. I bet pulling that stuff removes a lot of weight that's for sure.

ProAweMike
ProAweMike New Reader
3/11/19 7:04 p.m.

In reply to J1000 :

My MPG is on the highway and I had to use some custom components to get it there. Defiantly a fun car though. 

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VxL8eMAWIu3elIJfzexXNpBQQMvQAkNNf1AxeKbiU25mYxwuY7CIgXzKL0ljzt8G