4 5 6
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/17/18 9:24 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:
docwyte said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I would never do One Lap in a car without AC!

Normally I'd agree,But this year the route goes through MN, we're more liable to need heated seats than AC I think.

Very much a "this year only" thing and still a crap shoot. Less of a crap shoot than a route that runs through Texas, Louisiana and Florida though. I'm still going to make fun of klodkrawler05 when we get out of our comfortable quiet full interior Accord, but it won't be as bad as it could. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/17/18 10:02 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I spent a couple days in a non-AC '82 911 SC in Nebreska & Colorado back in 2015.

That car had the courtesy to blow-out its own rear window to keep its occupants cool in Texas cheeky

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
10/17/18 4:11 p.m.

It's easy to say we'll be fine without it now, when we get caught in construction during some unseasonably warm weather in Kentucky we'll probably regret it.

The real question is, would I trade A/C for extra sleep during OLOA? we know my car is faster than Matt's, but Matt's car has AC....ask me again on day 3 of the trip.

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
10/17/18 5:30 p.m.

skip a/c - especially this year. 

 

are you guys still teaming up for next year's race schedule with gridlife, or is matt's "car" going to be running by then?

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
10/17/18 8:15 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

I believe the Walkie Talkie app that Sleepy is talking about is called Zello.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
10/18/18 7:00 a.m.
apexanimal said:

skip a/c - especially this year. 

 

are you guys still teaming up for next year's race schedule with gridlife, or is matt's "car" going to be running by then?

The plan is to continue teaming up. What we're hoping is that Matt's car is running before the first Gridlife event of next year. (or at latest the 2nd)

We'll shake my car down for OLOA at the first Gridlife, then run OLOA in my car. At that point my car will get torn down. We've got a different boost setup lined up that should make.............significantly more power. And gives us better front end options for aero. But we don't want to take a perfectly competitive car offline until we have another equally capable (or faster) car to replace it with.

At the times we have 2 running cars we'd take both to Gridlife, run 1 in HPDE and 1 in Time attack so we can gain additional seat time.  Otherwise if we can go back and forth with the cars it is much less pressure to get a car finished quickly when there is already a competitive car to drive. Gridlife cars are getting so fast so quickly that it's tough for those of us with limited time/budgets to keep up without being able to do something like a team.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/18/18 8:00 a.m.

Skipping A/C is a huge mistake.  One Lap is a marathon, not a sprint.  The lack of A/C is going to be more of a hindrance than a help. 

I mean, some guys run One Lap as some sort of exercise in self flagellation (see Ariel Atom guys) which, I suppose, if that's your thing, great!

However, by far the majority of your time is spent on the transits.  For that I want a comfortable, decently quiet car that dead nuts reliable and will pound out the interstate miles.  Shaving 0.001 seconds from my lap because I've deleted A/C is the exact opposite of what I want...

Your opinion may vary of course...

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
10/18/18 8:24 a.m.

The A/C thing isn't about some perceived weight savings lap time advantage. It's about one less heat exchanger in the nose of the car. Having the AC deleted helps the car run 3 laps at speed at a time. frown

I don't think we're anywhere near as hardcore as the Ariel Atom guys but I do think in May in the North we'll be fine. I can appreciate that our method of tackling this trip won't be for everyone, but bear in mind, I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone whose daily driver doesn't have A/C. if I can handle 150+ daily miles of commuting without A/C in August, we can survive 3500 miles in May without the A/C.

About half of our OLOA 2016 trip was done without A/C as well. Although down in Atlanta/Florida it sure was nice.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
10/22/18 9:18 a.m.

So this is kind of a fun trip down memory lane.

The week after I bought the car I went to Grattan raceway with the car exactly as I had purchased it. 2.5 years later after all the work I've done I went back. 

The 7.5 second time improvement is entirely suspension/aero/tires/LSD based as I've done nothing to improve power output, heck it's still using the same air filter from 2016

http://viewsync.net/watch?v=rnGqnBVJsHU&t=368&mode=solo&fbclid=IwAR2sAmqIQFKT7gEH0Ai37sw1QKZVDt0XdIVq5-GI6aYhXwL6ggF5KFrtoM8

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
10/22/18 10:19 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

 

The 7.5 second time improvement is entirely suspension/aero/tires/LSD based as I've done nothing to improve power output, heck it's still using the same air filter from 2016

 

I'd argue there was a bit of driver mod installed along the way as well.  cheeky

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/9/18 1:25 p.m.

watching the last recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Z3Ra_m500

I'm reminded of a question that I've thought several times over the last month.  Is there a more detailed rules set available to people who enter, than is posted here:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/541cf31ae4b0ea46588b053b/t/5aff9bca0e2e7216af95d066/1526701002993/GRIDLIFE+GTCR+2018+V3.pdf

http://www.grid.life/trackbattle-time-attack-rules

I feel like I'm missing some details

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
12/9/18 4:25 p.m.

Those are the new rules - just came out the past new days.

they keep the rule set clean and concise. whats your question?

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
12/9/18 8:51 p.m.

Those are the entirety of the gridlife rules. The 2019 version just came out Friday at PRI, I admittedly haven't had time to look through them yet so I may be missing something also, what are you seeing?

 

Side note: We signed up for OLOA today!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/10/18 3:40 a.m.

I think I remember a diagram/picture... that was probably in a chat log.  Perhaps, they've gone to a "words description only" instead.

Looks like I missed reading the glossary, which has some significant rules definitions things in it too:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vS-VB4UflZZSHmGAYYW1oxElvkkuPeDxzGJh6Y4IAD1b_m0ldZO2ZBveHSxEl3eMlxpii0uz4u63mNy/pub

I'm glad to see they thought to close up the "no two single element rear wings" thing that got opened up in their definition of what a wing is.

I reckon I'm in danger of being classified as a "That Guy"...  

At some point, they're probably going to want to define what an endplate is, especially in the front.

It looks like there's one thing that apparently is completely open, for Street Mod, the area of a canard.  There's a stipulation that it is 

flat surface protruding from the side of vehicle (potentially wrapping around the front as well) designed to deflect air in an upward motion or guide air in a different direction than it would naturally flow

which is interesting... since there's two grey areas, potentially.  1) It sounds like a flat plate can be curved, it just can't have a "variable thickness" through it's chord. 

2) The 'potentially wrapping around the front' implies there's a significant amount of front downforce area on the table in the area above the splitter and anywhere less than 5" away from the OEM front bumper so long as it is a single piece and wraps around to "protrude front the side", and there's no requirement that the whole of the surface must be 'protruding from the body'.  I'll assume there's also a limitation that it "not block" the OEM headlight.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/10/18 6:22 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

 

Side note: We signed up for OLOA today!

Yay! Looking forward to seeing you guys again. 

On another side note, Brian was going to sign up for Super Lap Battle at COTA but the entry fee was $1500. Is this was time attack is now or is it just a COTA $$$$ thing?

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
12/10/18 7:34 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

I think I remember a diagram/picture... that was probably in a chat log.  Perhaps, they've gone to a "words description only" instead.

Looks like I missed reading the glossary, which has some significant rules definitions things in it too:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vS-VB4UflZZSHmGAYYW1oxElvkkuPeDxzGJh6Y4IAD1b_m0ldZO2ZBveHSxEl3eMlxpii0uz4u63mNy/pub

I'm glad to see they thought to close up the "no two single element rear wings" thing that got opened up in their definition of what a wing is.

I reckon I'm in danger of being classified as a "That Guy"...  

At some point, they're probably going to want to define what an endplate is, especially in the front.

It looks like there's one thing that apparently is completely open, for Street Mod, the area of a canard.  There's a stipulation that it is 

flat surface protruding from the side of vehicle (potentially wrapping around the front as well) designed to deflect air in an upward motion or guide air in a different direction than it would naturally flow

which is interesting... since there's two grey areas, potentially.  1) It sounds like a flat plate can be curved, it just can't have a "variable thickness" through it's chord. 

2) The 'potentially wrapping around the front' implies there's a significant amount of front downforce area on the table in the area above the splitter and anywhere less than 5" away from the OEM front bumper so long as it is a single piece and wraps around to "protrude front the side", and there's no requirement that the whole of the surface must be 'protruding from the body'.  I'll assume there's also a limitation that it "not block" the OEM headlight.

Grey areas are intentionally grey until they need not be. The TA staff's stance tends to be "People talk a lot on the internet about hypothetical boogeymen but until someone actually builds one and proves it exists we're not going to adjust the rules based on what if's"

Example, the title of a C6 Corvette says it's a hatchback, and the rear liftgate has glass so by definition it is. This year a C6 Z06 showed up with his wing sticking up 5" above the roof because that's allowed for hatchbacks. The intent of the rule was for Civic/GTI type hatch backs but it was to the letter of the rules and allowed to compete. They changed the rules for next season to clarify.

Nothing says canards can't block headlights.

That said, I'd love to hear more about what you're thinking, SM is in my opinion front aero limited so anything that would increase downforce on that end of the car will be helpful.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
12/10/18 7:37 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
klodkrawler05 said:

 

Side note: We signed up for OLOA today!

Yay! Looking forward to seeing you guys again. 

On another side note, Brian was going to sign up for Super Lap Battle at COTA but the entry fee was $1500. Is this was time attack is now or is it just a COTA $$$$ thing?

That's partially a COTA thing and partially a "That's what GTA wants to charge" thing. Gridlife events are less than 25% of that cost. What we heard at PRI is that GTA intends for that event to become the premier TA event in the country and hopes to grow it to a scale and level of competition similar to WTAC in Australia, hence the cost. 

We'd like to attend that event but the combination of entry fee cost, travel/lodging costs and the short notice means we're out of all resources required. Hopefully we can squeeze it onto the 2019 calendar.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/10/18 7:57 a.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Well, Brian is 3 miles from COTA and has an extra couple of beds, but that doesn't make up for being able to do the entire Gridlife calendar for what one GTA event costs. 

When I started this nonsense a few years ago there was NASA time trial and......that's it. Modern time attack stuff is interesting for sure. I'm hoping to be able to go spectate the Super Lap Battle event and see what the hype looks like. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/10/18 10:20 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Grey areas are intentionally grey until they need not be. The TA staff's stance tends to be "People talk a lot on the internet about hypothetical boogeymen but until someone actually builds one and proves it exists we're not going to adjust the rules based on what if's"

Example, the title of a C6 Corvette says it's a hatchback, and the rear liftgate has glass so by definition it is. This year a C6 Z06 showed up with his wing sticking up 5" above the roof because that's allowed for hatchbacks. The intent of the rule was for Civic/GTI type hatch backs but it was to the letter of the rules and allowed to compete. They changed the rules for next season to clarify.

Nothing says canards can't block headlights.

That said, I'd love to hear more about what you're thinking, SM is in my opinion front aero limited so anything that would increase downforce on that end of the car will be helpful.

Let me see if I can "paint up" some images, and I'll PM you with them.  I may have to make some models, though to get the point across?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/10/18 2:50 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Well, Brian is 3 miles from COTA and has an extra couple of beds, but that doesn't make up for being able to do the entire Gridlife calendar for what one GTA event costs. 

When I started this nonsense a few years ago there was NASA time trial and......that's it. Modern time attack stuff is interesting for sure. I'm hoping to be able to go spectate the Super Lap Battle event and see what the hype looks like. 

I dunno, maybe klod should keep an eye out for some March Texas trackdays, to cheaply shakedown the car... in case any of my rules bending aero ideas bare fruition cheeky

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
12/10/18 4:53 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Well, Brian is 3 miles from COTA and has an extra couple of beds, but that doesn't make up for being able to do the entire Gridlife calendar for what one GTA event costs. 

When I started this nonsense a few years ago there was NASA time trial and......that's it. Modern time attack stuff is interesting for sure. I'm hoping to be able to go spectate the Super Lap Battle event and see what the hype looks like. 

I dunno, maybe klod should keep an eye out for some March Texas trackdays, to cheaply shakedown the car... in case any of my rules bending aero ideas bare fruition cheeky

I hope they will! but I don't know if they will bare fruition before OLOA, depends how heavy the school load is. They will certainly make their way onto the car sometime this summer though.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/2/19 3:18 p.m.

Over the holidays I was able to sneak my car onto a local dyno, not really helpful for OLOA prep but still fun to see the numbers anyways. 

445whp/330wtq Which I'm pretty pleased with, my codriver (Matt's) car made 298whp/230 ish wtq in NA form so it's a fair bump in power IMO.

 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
1/2/19 5:41 p.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Over the holidays I was able to sneak my car onto a local dyno, not really helpful for OLOA prep but still fun to see the numbers anyways. 

445whp/330wtq Which I'm pretty pleased with, my codriver (Matt's) car made 298whp/230 ish wtq in NA form so it's a fair bump in power IMO.

 

Nice! Very Healthy! 

4 5 6
Our Preferred Partners
gAxWOMGHqI6DrrrRa521HRLx1H0HKeRSw1Qu5V62Ew2pMA9OuRfwJKMOICvK0tGo