ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/5/19 11:49 a.m.

Have you watched “trukluver” videos on YouTube? I plan to attend one of the NH gatherings next year. I’ve seen videos of everything from tracked and ski’d Model T’s and many with vehicle’s like yours.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/5/19 7:33 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

i have seen some of his vids.   they get quite a variety at that show for sure!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/7/19 9:08 p.m.

i was a little disappointed when i pulled the headers and saw all of the welds.  decided it was worth the time to grind them all down and make sure it was solid.  mostly good welds, just ugly.  after making a couple small repairs i deburred  and painted them.  came out looking pretty good.  i was going to paint the new flaps black but i kinda like the contrast.

also installed the new tachometer.  fingers crossed it lives longer than the last one.

colorado snowcat jamboree starts tomorrow.  we will be there saturday and sunday.  should be good with all the snow this year. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
3/9/19 9:55 p.m.

Please take pictures for us.  I was staying 15 mins from the Jamboree but wasn't able to make it.  The snow Weds/Thurs shut down Copper Thursday so we HAD to ski Friday instead.  It was quite the burden, what with the waist deep powder everywhere.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
3/9/19 10:08 p.m.

This guy was across the road from our room.  After we got dumped on he used the cat to pull out his old plow jeep next to it.  

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
3/9/19 10:30 p.m.

Same parking lot the next morning, cat on the left now.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
3/9/19 10:47 p.m.

Saw three newer cats get towed past our room in Leadville Thursday night once they re-opened the road.  They were all being towed by hotshot trucks.  I'm pretty sure each of the cats cost more than my house.  I can't imagine what that tow cost them.

Caught this guy at pizzahut later that night, not nearly as nice as the others but I was digging the truck w/dually/4wd/chains.  SWMBO didn't understand why I was taking a picture.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/11/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

haha we actually stayed in leadville saturday night.  sounds like we just missed eachother!

i don't think i have ever seen colorado this deep and i have lived here my whole life.  the 4ft snowbanks all the way  down highway 24 towards leadville with no room to pull over.  never seen both camp hale parking areas burried like that.  the snowcat crew broke trail into the vail pass parking area and all the way up to the saddle near machine gun ridge.  I was the only recreation vehicle parked on the camp hale side all day saturday.  all we saw was rental snowmobiles otherwise.  kinda had the place to ourselves untill sunday.  none of this is the norm.  lol

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/11/19 10:26 a.m.

This years colorado snowcat jamboree was excellent.  from the sheer amount of snow to the crazy variety of snowcats and snow machines that attended.  this event never disappoints.

we were running late saturday but that probably worked in our favor.  i was the only truck and trailer that parked on the leadville/camp hale side that day and they were still plowing a single lane path in the parking area.  the 2nd lot that we usually park in was still buried under 6ft of snow.

/\ this frandee sno-shu won best in show honors for good reason.  very good job on the restoration.

once i get the good camera uploaded ill post more photos.  until then here is a video of the Kristi at full chat

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/11/19 12:49 p.m.

Looking at the side views, I think I would make some "fenders" to prevent the snow build up on the windows. Awesome vehicle.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/13/19 11:41 a.m.

few more pics from the phone

the last two show an avalanche that happened a couple days before the event.  came all the way down to resolution creek road.  surprise

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
4/8/19 9:00 a.m.

I decided to park the cat on top of aspen mountain for the rest of the season.  good chance to fix a couple issues and do some tuning above 11,000ft   best part is i can hop in and cruise without the burden of towing or a trailer. richmond ridge is a perfect tuning ground for me.  still a ton of snow up there, a nice variety of terrain and im very close to a shop and a rescue cat should something go wrong. i should have done this two years ago.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/15/19 12:24 p.m.

Is that parking spot on a friend's property?

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
4/17/19 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

that side of the fence is aspen ski co. property but im allowed to park there. i have been keeping it in the shop bay where i took the last picture from, since my cat is missing a couple windows.  i plan on parking it out on the snow with a small plaque that tells a little bit of aspen/kristi history for closing weekend.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
4/26/19 9:27 a.m.

its been fun ripping the kristi out on richmond ridge this spring.  the snow is melting fast and within a couple weeks i will be loading up the kt3 for summer storage in the high desert.  probably take it out for a local volkswagen show this august as i usually do.  untill then here are some of my favorites from the kristi's visit to aspen mountain.

slowly learning what this machine can and cant do has been so much fun im sad to see the snowcat season coming to a close already. next year i plan on getting up on the ridge alot earlier for more test and tune opportunities. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/26/19 9:29 a.m.

So awesome, color me completely jealous. One would be great on a trailer behind my truck :D (and no I cant find any for sale...) 

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
4/26/19 9:35 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

your truck wouldnt even notice it back there! i will keep an eye out as they do pop up from time to time. . . still the cheapest way to get a foot in the door of the snowcat club.  and despite all the haters unfounded banter, they are a very capable machine.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/27/19 7:09 a.m.

I see a Rocky Mountain version of "Cars" coming.

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
5/6/19 7:46 p.m.
java230 said:

So awesome, color me completely jealous. One would be great on a trailer behind my truck :D (and no I cant find any for sale...) 

I have a small collection of them I am about to list for sale.  All projects, but several, and from parts status to complete, and lots of parts.  

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/7/19 10:19 a.m.
greggearhead said:
java230 said:

I have a small collection of them I am about to list for sale.  All projects, but several, and from parts status to complete, and lots of parts.  

Sent you an email thru the GRM system!!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
5/9/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to greggearhead :

i think i have seen some of the pics you posted.  you certainly have alot of good parts.   those wide drive sprockets are something i would be interested in if you are willing to part anything.  unfortunately i just dont have the room to buy the whole lot as much as i'd love to

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
5/9/19 3:09 p.m.

The pics I have are literally just posted in the last few days.  I would much rather sell the whole lot or large chunks of it at once than piecemeal parts

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
5/9/19 5:14 p.m.

In reply to greggearhead :

yeah they are the pics.  i totally understand not wanting to part out.  like i said, if i had more shop space things would be different.  too many projects going at once.  awesome kristi collection.  hope it all goes to a good home. 

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/6/20 7:59 p.m.

last spring didnt go so well. driving the kristi down spar gulch for what was supposed to be the last cat ride of the year, i siezed the original 36hp 1200.  i can only assume the prolonged downhill combined with the steep angle of aspen mountain was too much for the 2.5 quarts of oil.  the sideways orientatation put the #1 #2  valve cover downhill for quite awhile on that hill.  locked up just above grand junction.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/6/20 8:06 p.m.

i had no choice but to hike down, grab a snowmobile, ride that back up then hopped in our work cat and drove that down.  at first i tried to tow it by my self.  the kristi was rolling faster (on tracks in spring snow) than the bombardier could drive at full steam.  so i stopped and asked a co worker for some help.  glad he happened to be there at that time.  once i was back in the kt3 it went much smoother. . . . till i had to use the big cats blade to push it onto my tilt trailer. . . that did a number on the rear door.  anyway i got er home and tried to forget about the whole ordeal for the rest of summer. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
smc85no1WW2vz4AnpZqcupf53eKOf8SPBSB2HVogrEbRKKM4BqFhWNh4yq6Azm1R